Thread: swollen leg with puss

Exclamation swollen leg with puss

hello, couple days ago she must have hurt/twisted her leg because she was limping. It started to get swollen so we limited her free time. so then we noticed puss started coming out of her swollen knee. she must have bit her skin and created an actual wound. we dont have a wild life vet around. what to do? And we all have grown attached to eachother. we feel she wont survive in the wild but the best choice would be a longg road trip to someone who can help AND give her back to us. i have a feeling we will never see her again.

-and before anyone say anything negitive. this is the first time anything has hapened to her. she has been in great hands with 100% healthy diet and has grown to be amazing and loving.

so i guess we are trying to ask:
    -any guesses whats going on?
    -should we wrap it? (she might just rip it off)
    -next steps?
    -is giver her up our only option?

Default Re: swollen leg with puss

Please attach a photo or two of the squirrel, this will help members assess the squirrel's condition.

Is this a wild squirrel? A squirrel that you are rehabbing? Or a pet?

Definitely do not give up on the creature. The puss suggests an infection, an abscess. Treatment with antibiotics calibrated based on the squirrel's weight may help. Look around to see if you have any anti biotics. Call friends and family. Only one or two pills will be needed. Human antibiotics are just fine for this purpose.

Let us know what you find.

Default Re: swollen leg with puss

Hey thank you for responding. Yes, She was our pet for nearly 2 years. We rescued her as a baby and she’s was phenomenal with us. I did read your message once you sent it. But unfortunately we drove her to a wild life rescue Far away. The wound needed medical attention as well as her knee. They will treat and release her while keeping us updated. Will miss her dearly but she will be totally free once she’s healed. Absolutely the hardest day of my life in 26 years..

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to NicknKara from:

Rock Monkey (06-27-2021)