Thread: eastern grey squirrel with injury

Default eastern grey squirrel with injury

There’s an Eastern Grey squirrel that comes to the bird feeder in my back yard that, to my thinking, is severely injured. His front arm is either broken or there’s a bite so severe that the inside part of his arm is exposed. He’s bleeding. There are fleas and other insects flying about him and are clearly attracted to the wound. He doesn’t seem to have the energy to fight them off.

He digs constantly in the same area in an effort to get food. Between what falls from the bird feeder and what he digs up, he’s eeking out an existence. I’ve taken to tossing him raw almonds and the ones that he gets he eats with one paw. If I’ve tossed 20 almonds, he’s gotten 3. The other squirrels have gotten the rest. The injured paw is swollen to the point where it looks like a club. It has no function. He’s getting about on 3 legs. He’s clearly at a disadvantage. Without intervention, he’ll suffer greatly before he finally succumbs.

I need help. I’m trying to capture this poor chap. I was in touch with a local wildlife refuge where I’m a regular $$$ contributor and they agreed to take in the squirrel if I’m successful capturing him. I bought a Havahart trap, but it’s a passive endeavor. I have to wait for him to show up and hope he’s fooled enough to enter the trap. And frankly, I’m out of my element here…this will be the first time, assuming I’m successful trapping him.

Does anyone have ideas on how I can capture this poor creature in my effort to get him help? It’s heartbreaking seeing him suffer and I’d like to have him on the path to convalescence…

Many thanks for any ideas you may have…

CP

Default Re: eastern grey squirrel with injury

Poor little guy
    I'm giving this post a bump for attention

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to lukaslolamaus from:

171squirrely (06-26-2021)

Squirrels are very tough, especially if you can provide him with food and water. It may be that the best way to get him over this difficult part is to put out a bunch of food knowing full well that the other squirrels will get some of it. Try put out high energy soft food like avocado, no pit or skin since these contain toxins. You might also try putting out cooked sweet potato or butternut squash, maybe with a little honey or brown sugar added to provoke interest. Also try plain, whole-milk Greek yogurt.

Put out a shallow water dish, not more than 1/2" tall. Change the water daily.

Just because they are currently not putting much or any weight on the arm that does not mean that it will be forever useless. They refrain from weighting it so that it can heal properly. If they can get food without having to roam around much this will improve their chances. Be sure that any food you place is located such that they can easily see any other creatures approaching from a distance.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

171squirrely (06-26-2021)

Also can you attach a photo or two? Click on the Paper Clip icon when you Reply to Thread.

Many thanks to all for your responses...

He came by 2-3 times this morning to drink from the small water dish that I have in my back patio. Unfortunately this was before I put the Havahart trap down so he's still out there. He seems to be surviving but his arm is now pink and without hair. He still carries it while moving about on 3s.

He surprised me when he was able to climb up into a small nook in a tree just outside of my patio. He was observing and seemingly relaxing. Then he did a quick step across a grassy area and disappeared...

He never returned. It was a hot and humid afternoon and no squirrels were about so I suspect he was cooling his heels.

Wasn't able to get good pictures because he feeds under a tree which has shadows. None of the pics that I took adequately show the extent of his injury.

I'll try again early tomorrow...hopefully I can catch him and get him to the wildlife refuge.

Thanks again all...

[QUOTE=171squirrely;1333740 I’ve taken to tossing him raw almonds and the ones that he gets he eats with one paw.
    CP[/QUOTE]

You might try walnuts instead of almonds. While almonds are good nutritionally they are hard and in order to eat them counter pressure needs to be applied which the squirrel seems to be struggling with. Softer nuts means less counter pressure is needed.