Thread: Help! Young baby female gray sounds congested

Default Help! Young baby female gray sounds congested

Hey there. I'm new to having a squirrel, actually I saved her. We were clearing trees and heard her yelling from the top, so I climbed up and grabbed her from where she was hanging from a limb. I'm not sure of her age but she still hadnt opened her eyes when I saved her. Shes alot bigger now with her eyes open of course and eating pecans. I just moved her into a bigger cage with alot more room and things to play on, I'm working on getting her an ideal bigger cage. I noticed the other day that she kind of sounded like she had a snotty nose but it went away but now I noticed it again tonight. I still have her on formula, Fox Valley Day One formula 20/50, but I'm trying to wheen her off so I've got her eating un-shelled pecans pretty good.
    Shes eating with no problem and playing in and out of her cage fine. I don't hear the snotty nose all the time just every now and then.
    What can I do to help her out with this? I dont want it to get worse and turn into something. Like I said I'm new to the whole pet squirrel world. She nibbles on my fingers every once in a while, which i heard was a way they show affection to human owners, she comes running when I open the cage and plays all over me. So needless to say I've grown attached to her. So if someone would help me out I'd really appreciate it.
    Thank you

Default Re: Help! Young baby female gray sounds congested

The snotty nose could be a sign of aspiration pneumonia which can be deadly and rapidly so if the squirrel is young and weak and the amount of aspirate large. I have listed the symptoms to watch out for below. AP is an infection somewhere in the airways and lungs and antibiotics are the most effective treatment by far.

Symptoms:
    1. Lethargic (inactive)
    2. Difficult/labored breathing or rapid breathing or slow breathing and/or open mouth breathing
    3. Rapid heartbeat
    4. Fever or Chills
    5. Pale, bluish to dark purple skin from a lack of oxygen (Look at lips and pads of feet)
    6. Nasal discharge
    7. Sweet or foul smelling breath
    8. Wheezing, crackling, or clicking sounds when inhaling and/or exhaling

Next, some questions. We need to figure how the young squirrel got into this trouble in the first place and thus prevent future occurrences.

What means are you using to feed the squirrel formula?

If you are using a syringe, what size is it? Does it have a feeding nipple attached? Does the plunger have a separate o-ring? Or not?

Does the squirrel have a supplemental source of heat under part of its cage? Young squirrels rely on and need heat from their mother.

Is water available to the squirrel? Does it come from a water bottle or a dish? If a dish, how high are the sides of the dish and how deep is the water?

What is the squirrel's current weight in grams? How much formula is the squirrel being given at each feeding and how often is it fed?

Please attach a photograph. That conveys a ton of information.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Jackemiller (06-19-2021)

Next I am going to give you some links with more information for those caring for squirrels. There is a lot to know in order to maximize their chances and health. Do's and Don't 's.

Regarding solid food other than formula here is a list.

https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/

Be sure to pay attention to the items that should be avoided. There are very good reasons why these items are labelled that way.

Indoor, human raised squirrels need to be given a properly balanced diet. A rehabbed adult squirrel should not be given more than one or two nuts a day. A squirrel should not be given nuts until they are eating block. (They won't eat the block if they have the nuts first, the nuts taste better.) The formula and the block contain contain critical vitamins and minerals that a squirrel must have. An indoor, rehabbed squirrel can develop very debilitating mineral imbalances if they are given a bunch of nuts, MBD being the most likely.

Proper feeding technique is the best way to prevent AP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc

Take the time to watch this video.

Next is a 6 page guide to taking care of squirrels.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Jackemiller (06-19-2021)

I have attached some pictures of the food, water, her cage setup for now and what she looks like. I hope they came through ok. She is full of energy! Climbing running and everything. I havent heard any kind of wet sound come from her nose today. With the syringe, she drinks about 2 whole syringes full twice a day and had free access to pecan pieces and water. I just bought those Daily Blend blocks. I've broken some up into small pieces and she seems to like them.
    Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or need to change anything.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Name:  16240834514424137884249821118502.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  81.4 KB

That syringe looks a bit large for a baby this age -- is it a 3cc or a 5cc? You may want to get a Miracle Nipple for the end of it -- babies love it and you are less likely to aspirate when using one.

https://www.henryspets.com/miracle-nipples/

You can use the nipple on 3cc or 5cc syringes; I would start with a 3cc, however. Syringes can be ordered from Henry's as well. Top quality stuff.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

Thank you for taking care of this little one. It is a very rewarding experience, but not without its challenges.

What is her current weight?

Approximately how old is she?

From what I can see, the cage is okay. The water bottle is the preferred way to give water, so that is good.

Current weight determines how much formula they should be given for those squirrels that are eating formula only. 5-7% of body weight is the recommended amount. (1 cc of formula = 1 ml and weighs approximately 1 gram) Feeding frequency depends on age.

No captive squirrel should have free access to a pile of nuts. Nuts should be given as treats, not as mainstay items for reasons outlined up above. This is a common, well-intentioned mistake. A captive, indoor squirrel does not have access to the wide variety of food items available outdoors. That many nuts is a recipe for MBD and the older they get, territorial aggression arising from guarding their stash.

Remove the bowl of nuts. Look over the link about diet and try some of the listed items. Nuts should be regarded as a treat and only given after the other foods and formula are eaten.

That is a 5 cc syringe. The larger the syringe, the greater the chance of aspirating the squirrel. I am guessing that syringe does not have an o-ring. Non-O-Ring syringes tend to hang up, not move smoothly when the plunger is depressed. This can result in a large amount of formula coming out, overwhelming the squirrel's ability to swallow resulting in aspiration. Watch the feeding video if you haven't done so already. AP can be fatal, acting more swiftly than your ability to counter it with antibiotics, especially if it is only noticed once it has progressed to become severe.

The best way to prevent AP is with a quality syringe of the proper size, utilizing best practices technique.

I would suggest acquiring a smaller O-Ring syringe. Try asking a pharmacist for luer tip (slip tip) (which means no needle) o-ring syringe. Tell them you are feeding a small pet. (Don't tell them it is a squirrel. Some states euthanize grey squirrels that are brought in for care.) Or you can buy them online. The larger the syringe the larger the volume of formula that comes out for any given length of push of the plunger, thus the greater the chance of aspirating the squirrel that you are diligently trying to save.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackemiller View Post
    She nibbles on my fingers every once in a while, which i heard was a way they show affection to human owners, she comes running when I open the cage and plays all over me. So needless to say I've grown attached to her.
    When they are nibbling on your fingers they are attempting to groom you, which is their way of saying "Thank You" and bonding with you. If something she does hurts say "ouch". Be consistent and she will learn. Try never to yell at them. This never has a positive effect on the relationship, always erodes some of your positive relationship capital. The time at which they are most likely to bond is in the early evening before sunset.

If they start chewing on something they shouldn't tell them "No", firmly, calmly. If you will be consistent, they will learn. You must watch them carefully when they are out of the cage. They have a knack for getting into trouble and can be impulsive.

Eventually things will need to be unplugged. Cords are regarded as branches.

It is also best, if possible, to let them decide whether they want to get closer to you. Remember, out in the wild predators try to grab them.

I just bought those Daily Blend blocks. I've broken some up into small pieces and she seems to like them.
    Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or need to change anything.
    Maybe somebody who is familiar with that particular brand can comment on whether those block are appropriate for squirrels.

I just bought those Daily Blend blocks. I've broken some up into small pieces and she seems to like them. Let me know if I'm doing anything wrong or need to change anything.
    JUNK!
    Don't come anywhere near the nutritional requirements for a squirrel.
    If anything it's harmful.

Wild Harvest daily blend diet ingredients:
    Dehydrated Alfalfa Meal, White Millet, Corn, Sunflower Seed, Wheat, Milo, Kibbled Wheat, Kibbled Corn, Flaked Wheat, Flaked Corn, Ground Corn, Feeding Oatmeal, Soybean Oil, Soybean Hulls, Cane Molasses, Wheat Middling, Soybean Meal, Dicalcium Phosphate, Salt, Ground Limestone, Vitamin A Acetate, Vitamin D3 Supplement, ...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

13. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

island rehabber (06-20-2021), Rock Monkey (06-23-2021)

Daily blocks in order of nutritional value and how well squirrels like them:

1. Envigo Teklad 2018 ...online, Amazon or ebay

2. Mazuri rat & mouse. ..some pet supplies carry.

3.Kay Tee Forti-diet for rats..really a distant third

good luck.

PS: Agree with stepnstone -- that Daily stuff is no good. Corn and sunflower seeds at the top? Two BIG no-no's for squirrels, as they are full of phosphorous and leach calcium from the bones. Chuck it.
    Last edited by island rehabber; 06-20-2021 at 08:16 AM.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

15. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to island rehabber:

Rock Monkey (06-23-2021), stepnstone (06-20-2021)

One formula 20/50, but I'm trying to wheen her off so I've got her eating un-shelled pecans pretty good.

We don't wean them...they wean THEMSELVES. No nuts, period, until she is eating the rodent blocks regularly. Nuts at her age will throw her into the early stages of MBD, a place where you do not want to go.
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

Michelangelo

You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Rock Monkey (06-23-2021)