Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tooth/Mouth Injury

Default Re: Tooth/Mouth Injury

Quote Originally Posted by thelema93 View Post
    she has never been interested in healthy veggies or fruit unfortunately.
    Well, their stomachs are only so big and they can only eat so many meals in a day, so it is totally logical for them to choose the foods that have the most calories. The squirrel that has stored some fat has a better chance of surviving adversity. She may well have eaten very little in those days that she was AWOL.

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

thelema93 (06-19-2021)

She didn't stay long enough today to really try for a pic
    From your previous footage you may already have the information you seek, if you can go through the footage frame by frame.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

thelema93 (06-19-2021)

Aww, yes I call her the battle axe banshee sometimes, lol. She is FIERCE to other squirrels, definitely an alpha female. It surprised me because she is so gentle with us but the moment another squirrel comes around she is doing karate kicks and growling like a bear & screeching like a banshee.. I had no idea their vocabulary was so immense!! She is more aggressive than any of the other local squirrels maybe because she is a momma and she's guarding her palace here, hehe. The sounds she makes are just wild sometimes. It's very reassuring to know that she is away because she is being a good momma and watching her babies closely. I was wondering about that. When she first had them I was surprised she came by here at all because I thought she'd disappear for a few weeks. I think her nest is just very close so it's easy for her to stop by for her breakfast quickly & then run right home. I hope she brings them by when they are older! Thanks again for the moral support and all of the info!

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to thelema93 from:

Rock Monkey (06-19-2021)

I think her nest is just very close so it's easy for her to stop by for her breakfast quickly & then run right home. I hope she brings them by when they are older! Thanks again for the moral support and all of the info!
    You're welcome.

It would probably take her longer to forage for food than it does to come to you. Plus foraging probably leads her to cross paths with other squirrels which always has some potential for confrontation, which might get physical

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

thelema93 (06-19-2021)

She seems to go out of her way to confront other squirrels, definitely an alpha female and honestly a bit of a bully to other squirrels, maybe that's how she got injured.. But I realize she has to hold her own out there. She is the only regular female around, she chased the others off. I saw one very scruffy girl come by a few weeks back but she was very skittish and ran when I put a nut out for her. There are 3 other males, 2 pretty regular, 2 had paw injuries recently but they are better. The boys will sit together and eat on the balcony but she won't have it... She likes to sit inside and just lurk/wait until one comes by and then do a full on sneak attack by jumping out the window on them! Poor unsuspecting Lil Pip, the youngest male, usually gets the brunt of her wrath..but they usually don't expect another squirrel to come from INSIDE a house! Here is Lil Pip..he has funny ears! And Lil Mama surveying her kingdom.
    Name:  20210611_213509_HDR~2.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  100.9 KBName:  20210611_213120_HDR~2.jpg
Views: 54
Size:  115.3 KBName:  20210406_165137_HDR.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  100.9 KB

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to thelema93 from:

Rock Monkey (06-23-2021)

Yes, the ear notch would definitely make him easy to recognize. That's a good thing.

You're right, she might have taken a bad fall when chasing some of the other squirrels away. Food is a precious resource, from a squirrel's perspective, the fewer mouths that food has to be shared with, the better. Out in the wild the mast crop can very dramatically from year to year. Squirrels die in the years that the mast is paltry. So, they get territorial to improve their survival in the lean years. She doesn't know that you can feed her just as well even if you are feeding a few other squirrels.

Just posting an update. Lil Mama is back after having been off caring for her babies and healing up after her mouth/tooth injury. It took a few weeks, and she only came by about twice a week during thst time but she is now 100% better. Yesterday she stopped by to play for a bit and get her treats. She has truly been a blessing since she showed up last April. I hope to have many years with her.Name:  20210709_141854_HDR~2.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  103.3 KBName:  20210709_141111_HDR~2.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  69.1 KBName:  20210709_141026_HDR~2.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  81.4 KBName:  20210709_141910_HDR~2.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  92.3 KBName:  20210709_142234_HDR~2.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  109.9 KB ❤ Thanks again for this great forum!

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to thelema93 from:

Grinderhead (07-10-2021)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12