Thread: Adult Wild Rear Leg Wound

Default Adult Wild Rear Leg Wound

Hello,

First time posting. My husband and I like watching and feeding the local wild squirrels on our deck. We have a raised deck (second story) that the adult squirrels typically climb the posts to get on/off. One squirrel ("Linus", female) has visited us most days for about 8 months or so. Linus will come right to the door and take food from us (typically Henry's blocks or calcium-coated almonds with the occasional peanut treat... and she raids our birdfeeder). She gave birth to three babies this past spring (all of which now come to our deck too). She's been very healthy for all this time - even when pregnant and then nursing.

06/12 she came to visit and her left rear leg was a little bloody. It looked like maybe she had a little cut. She was moving a little stiffly, but still jumped around.

06/15 she came again and the wound was larger, maybe some blood from it had gotten on her belly fur (or there's another wound I can't make out), the top layer of fur looks like it might be a bit scratched off on her leg. She is not able to make her normal jumps from deck to railing or from chair seat to chair back to railing. She instead stiffly climbs the deck rails like they are fireman's poles. Linus likes to sit up high on the railing so she can keep an eye on her surroundings.

I will try to post pictures in a reply.

What can we do to help her out? We work so we're not always around or available to keep watch, though I have temporarily been working by the deck when I can.

Thank you in advance. We believe we lost another one of our favorite local squirrels recently (possibly to the heat wave or a predator or even old age) and I don't want to lose Linus too.

Default Re: Adult Wild Rear Leg Wound

I don't have the paperclip that's mentioned in the sticky about picture posting, so hopefully this works:

06/12

06/15