Thread: Nasal Congestion w difficulty breathing

Default Nasal Congestion w difficulty breathing

Sweet ie is an 8-year-old male gray squirrel. His home is a macaw cage. Loves to play enjoys his carrots broccoli kale apples pecans walnuts and peanuts as well as mealworms which I just found out he loves. A dog I adopted had a severe upper respiratory infection. Last November. This upper respiratory infection was cold in the eyes of the dogs and some clear nasal drainage The squirrel got it about a month and when everybody else was starting to clear up I treated them with bactrim I think is what it was called whatever you all recommend. It was very hard to get him to take the medicine. His symptoms were slight yellow eye crusty, and nasal drainage he would hate for me to wipe his nose. Two months went by he was fine then started getting congested again then it went away now for the last two months we've got the congestion back this past week he started getting the eye crustiness and the nasal drainage and its labor breathing but he's still very active and eating but he's got a line on his nose. I don't know if I should start the vacuum again and I never did a nasal decongestant because I read that it could cause heart palpitations so I did humidifier cool mist. That didn't seem to work so I went out and got essential oil you could love this and I put it in a diffuser with hot water so a warm mist eucalyptus aerosol next to his cage every night and helps a little but it's not going away I need to treat this I don't want to lose my baby I've had him since he was probably 2 weeks old he followed a tree and the people left him outside every night thinking that the mom would come back she never did and then I took him nursed him the house and he had the same problem when he was little but seven and a half years went by and no problems.... Please help thank you so much in advance! Oh yeah he went from 2 lb down to 11 oz when he got sick and he's been gaining weight since So that is one positive thing....
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Nasal Congestion w difficulty breathing

Quote Originally Posted by Alicia View Post
    Sweet ie is an 8-year-old male gray squirrel. His home is a macaw cage. Loves to play enjoys his carrots broccoli kale apples pecans walnuts and peanuts as well as mealworms which I just found out he loves. A dog I adopted had a severe upper respiratory infection. Last November. This upper respiratory infection was cold in the eyes of the dogs and some clear nasal drainage The squirrel got it about a month and when everybody else was starting to clear up I treated them with bactrim I think is what it was called whatever you all recommend. It was very hard to get him to take the medicine. His symptoms were slight yellow eye crusty, and nasal drainage he would hate for me to wipe his nose. Two months went by he was fine then started getting congested again then it went away now for the last two months we've got the congestion back this past week he started getting the eye crustiness and the nasal drainage and its labor breathing but he's still very active and eating but he's got a line on his nose. I don't know if I should start the vacuum again and I never did a nasal decongestant because I read that it could cause heart palpitations so I did humidifier cool mist. That didn't seem to work so I went out and got essential oil you could love this and I put it in a diffuser with hot water so a warm mist eucalyptus aerosol next to his cage every night and helps a little but it's not going away I need to treat this I don't want to lose my baby I've had him since he was probably 2 weeks old he followed a tree and the people left him outside every night thinking that the mom would come back she never did and then I took him nursed him the house and he had the same problem when he was little but seven and a half years went by and no problems.... Please help thank you so much in advance! Oh yeah he went from 2 lb down to 11 oz when he got sick and he's been gaining weight since So that is one positive thing....
    You've asked me to dose Bactrim for your squirrel, I could do this but I don't know what it is you are exactly hoping to treat. What you describe as reoccurring either suggests he wasn't on a med long enough to eliminate whatever you were attempting to treat, the med wasn't strong enough, there possibly could be something in the home that continues to be an irritant to his respiratory or it could possibly be related to teeth.
    I can understand using a humidifier to help ease breathing, I would never recommend using essential oils of any type for or around a squirrel, their sinuses are very sensitive.

Curious as to the dogs that had been sick, were they diagnosed by a vet, what was it called and what were they treated with?

> I can dose the bactrim but need to know the form (liquid 0r pill) - the milligrams and an actual current weight on the squirrel in order to dose properly.<

Also, I cannot in good coincidence leave this post without addressing the diet that you listed. You do not mention a rodent block which is essential to the health of a captive squirrel. If this has been his "diet" all along I am surprised he has gone 8 years without having complications until now and I can not say if his respiratory problems could be related or not, I am not a veterinarian. I do know squirrels have a high calcium requirement, he can not get the calcium he needs from the vegetables fed. Nuts which always needs to be fed in moderation can rob the body of calcium as well as meal worms that can be
    calcium depleting. For the continued health of your squirrel these things need to be taken in consideration.

I am moving your post to Emergency LT to hopefully get more eyes on it and or opinions.
    Also, I do know a safe wildlife veterinarian in Md I could get you seen by if you desire.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator