Thread: Wild squirrel looking Sick with Urinary incontinence, watery eye, swollen jar

Default Wild squirrel looking Sick with Urinary incontinence, watery eye, swollen jar

Dear Squirrel Board,
    I have been visiting a wild squirrel name Miss B in the park. She has been nursing three baby squirrels since end of February.
    I see her everyday but didn’t see her for 2 days. She finally came out of her den yesterday looking very sick. She picked up half of open shell walnuts and went back in her hole. She walked very slowly, her eyes were watery, her jaw looked swollen. Then she urinated uncontrollably on her way down to get food. This never happened before. She lost weight. I couldn’t check color of the urine.
    I was not able to take video then. I went back again with soft boo balls and fresh water. she didn’t came out. I’m extremely worried. What do you think she is suffering from? And How can I help? I don’t want to take her out of her nest because of the baby.

Default Re: Wild squirrel looking Sick with Urinary incontinence, watery eye, swollen jar

Any time I hear "watery eye and swollen jaw" I think "tooth issues." I would bet she has a bum tooth in her jaw, which unfortunately is something that a vet would have to intervene with. The tooth would have to come out...

If her babies showed up in February, they are pretty close to being independent now.

Default Re: Wild squirrel looking Sick with Urinary incontinence, watery eye, swollen jar

Thank you, Critter mom. I was able to take video of her this morning.she looked better than yesterday.

https://youtu.be/8GURV8bcsXQ

She is Moving around better but still weak, watery eyes and frown face.
    She looks like struggling with urinating. Do you think it relates to the tooth?

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Miss Parker from:

Rock Monkey (06-15-2021)

If she is urinating excessively that might lead to dehydration. I don't know if she has a water source close by. You might consider either putting out a dish with water when you put out food, but these tend to get mucky pretty fast if left out, better would be a pet water bottle strapped to a tree limb, if that is practical.

She does look rather scrawny.

Thank you, Rock Monkey! I put out fresh water dish everyday. I see her drink from it all the time. And there is a spring near by.
    Scrawny is true. She didn’t look like this 4 days ago. She lost weight drastically. This video was taken on May 30th and June 4th of this year.

https://youtu.be/KxgtxOogzzY

I didn’t see her all day today. It seems impossible to capture her as she rarely on the ground.
    I left Henry’s Block and soft boo balls on her tree. Please let me know if any suggestions of food I can leave to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Parker View Post
    Scrawny is true. She didn’t look like this 4 days ago. She lost weight drastically.

I left Henry’s Block and soft boo balls on her tree. Please let me know if any suggestions of food I can leave to her.
    That rapid weight loss isn't good.

If there is a tooth problem, soft food would be a good choice. Most greys love ripe avocado. Also consider cooked butternut squash and sweet potato. You might add a touch a cinnamon, honey (or brown sugar), and organic, cold pressed coconut oil (If you have any, usually found in the supplements section of the store.). Also might consider whole milk, plain Greek yogurt, with some added honey, for the probiotics and the fat calories.

Given the rapid weigh loss, you might consider putting some antibiotics in her food. Hopefully an administrator will be able to provide a suggested dosing. Human antibiotics work fine, you might look around to see what you have. Usually only one or two pills is needed. You might ask friends and family, if you don't have any.

Even in the earlier video her eye looks swollen.

Thank you, Rock Monkey. This is so helpful! I will cook your suggestions this afternoon.
    As Critter mom said, she may have tooth problem. I was able to give half shelled pecan with peanut butter topping this morning.She ate the whole nuts and even cracked rest of shell.
    Inflammation on her jaw now looks like abscess on her right jaw.
    After she ate a nut she took few minutes sun bathing on the high branch and went back to her hole. She still move slow and urinated unexpectedly. But this is small improvement from last time I saw her.

https://youtu.be/jgyO1Zqgz4k

At 49 seconds into the video we get a good look at the right side of her face. I see something on her jaw, is that the abscess you are referring to? Had there been a lump there for some time prior to these videos?

The uncontrolled urination may actually be diarrhea. When it gets really bad, it becomes totally watery. If the dehydration becomes severe enough body systems start failing. The probiotics in the yogurt and honey may help some with the digestive issues.

If it is an abscess and it has ruptured then the infection is no longer totally sealed off and antibiotics can become effective.

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Miss Parker (06-16-2021)

Name:  628431C7-946D-4136-AC80-34CC47E63603.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  108.4 KB
    Attached is the picture of her right jaw.
    I can’t really tell the real problem and status.
    I will give her the yogurt tomorrow. I need to figure out the way to bring the water dish or bottle closer and hidden.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Miss Parker from:

Rock Monkey (06-16-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Parker View Post
    I need to figure out the way to bring the water dish or bottle closer and hidden.
    Yes, I would try to hide the water bottle, but I think most people, if they did see it, would say to themselves, "What?" but then they would shrug and go about doing whatever they had been doing, thinking, "Hmm? Who knows, not my problem."

Continued hydration is critical to getting through bad diarrhea.

Also, the foods that I listed have a high water content, squash and sweet potato, for instance, are 70+ % water, whereas most nuts contain very little water.

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Miss Parker (06-22-2021)

I want to update you about my sick squirrel…
    Rock Monkey, I did tried all your suggestions. Even new water holder.. I bought a dip sauce cup holder for car and clipped on the blanch close to her hole. I saw blue jays drinking out of the cup so.. I think it will also be good for squirrel.
    Thank you so much for all your amazing ideas🙏 I have also consulted with a local rehabber for antibiotic treatments.
    I had all prepared, However, Miss B is not coming out of her nest for the last three days.
    I don’t want to give up just yet. I know she is a fighter. I will continue to visit her everyday.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Miss Parker from:

Rock Monkey (06-23-2021)

Yes, so long as they keep fighting, so should we. If they want to give up, they are perfectly capable of doing that. They are tough and determined, so don't give up hope. We definitely have the capacity to tip the scale in their favor.