Thread: Squirrel drowned

Default Squirrel drowned

Hi,

Our squirrel is a about 4 months old and was soft-released two weeks ago. She mingles with other wild squirrels in the garden, but comes back into the house every now and then for food, a bit of fondling and massage and to sleep.
    Yesterday evening she was found fallen into a bucket half-filled with rain water. She might have been there for not more than 20 minutes and was in a state of shock when taken out. She was wiped, blow- dried and within half an hour became active again. She ate, pee'd a lot and went to sleep as usual.
    Today morning too, she ate as usual but seems to be comparatively lethargic, in that; not keen in going out to the garden, sitting in one place for long etc.
    Perhaps we are too anxious, but I have a few concerns: -
    1. Would a squirrel inhale water like a drowning human would?
    2. Could she catch pneumonia (ours is a tropical country with temperatures between 26 - 30 C) and if yes, would the effect be observable overnight?
    3. Do squirrels get mental shocks that would last in their minds for long?

Kindly advice. Although it is not banned here to rehab squirrels, they are considered as pests and Veterinarian services are not available for them.

Thanking you in advance,

ViKARLL

NB: In an earlier post, I have misidentified her as a Chipmunk. But in fact it is a Striped Palm Squirrel (Funambulus).

Default Re: Squirrel drowned

She absolutely could have inhaled water. Can you locate any antibiotics? If she has aspirated the water it can cause aspiration pneumonia which can kill quickly.

Please post what antibiotics you can find (human versions are fine), the strength of the medicine and a weight of your squirrel. Someone will be able to help you break it down and dose it.

3. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Chirps (Today), Nancy in New York (06-11-2021), Rock Monkey (Yesterday), stepnstone (06-11-2021), ViKARLL (06-11-2021)

Many thanks for your response!

1. She weighs approx 62g.
    2. Antibiotics are Amoxicillin, Azythromycin, Erythromycin in 250mg or Augmentin 625g.
    BTW, she became active and playful towards the noon, had usual appetite throughout.
    I hope above info is sufficient for the moment, for you to advice further steps.

Thanking you once again,

I sent you dosing for the augmentin by private message. Given what happened, I would absolutely dose her even though she is showing no symptoms.

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Chirps (Today), Rock Monkey (Yesterday), stepnstone (Yesterday), ViKARLL (06-11-2021)

Thank you very much Mel1959 and CritterMom.

I shall follow your advice.

How is this baby doing today?