Thread: Hit by car - ok to give meloxicam?

Default Hit by car - ok to give meloxicam?

Hi, I have a hit-by-car adult squirrel and my local rehab does not open for another 10 hours. I have him in a carrier with a towel in a quiet, dark place. From what I observed, he seems to have at least a broken leg and possibly a head injury (He ran in circles for a moment when first approached). Is it safe and advisable to give him some metacam tonight? I have a small amount of 1.5 mg/mL EloxiOral. If so, any advice on safely giving it? Thank you.

Default Re: Hit by car - ok to give meloxicam?

Quote Originally Posted by catpoet View Post
    Hi, I have a hit-by-car adult squirrel and my local rehab does not open for another 10 hours. I have him in a carrier with a towel in a quiet, dark place. From what I observed, he seems to have at least a broken leg and possibly a head injury (He ran in circles for a moment when first approached). Is it safe and advisable to give him some metacam tonight? I have a small amount of 1.5 mg/mL EloxiOral. If so, any advice on safely giving it? Thank you.

The conflict with giving metacam is the possibility of a head trauma needing steroid treatment as the best chance for recovery. The running in circles may be indicative of a head or spinal trauma best treated with steroids. Unless you think the running in circles was purely a result of the leg injury.

Steroids cannot be given within 24 hours of NSAID drugs like metacam (and ibuprofen).