Thread: Will They Survive Without Henrys Blocks when they are released?

Exclamation Will They Survive Without Henrys Blocks when they are released?

Can someone explain to me how this works? I moved my two litters in with each other in their outdoor enclosure. I am doing everything for a soft release. I am still giving them their blocks along with lots of veggies. Walnuts in shell and apple for a treat. When I eventually slide the door open (that has the release hole), I will still provide food. But if they don't come back, how do they adjust being in the wild without the Henrys Blocks? They won't get MBD? Can someone explain this to me please?

Default Re: Will They Survive Without Henrys Blocks when they are released?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlinrose101 View Post
    Can someone explain to me how this works? I moved my two litters in with each other in their outdoor enclosure. I am doing everything for a soft release. I am still giving them their blocks along with lots of veggies. Walnuts in shell and apple for a treat. When I eventually slide the door open (that has the release hole), I will still provide food. But if they don't come back, how do they adjust being in the wild without the Henrys Blocks? They won't get MBD? Can someone explain this to me please?
    You can continue to offer Henry’s blocks and supplemental feeding for them if you wish. Squirrels in the wild learn what to eat in order to get the proper nutrition. They seem to know what they need. Their diets will change drastically from what we feed them to what they eat in the wild. Their bodies will absorb vitamins and minerals differently. The chances of them getting MBD in the wild is pretty much zero. Their diets in the wild will be leaves, trees, grass, various nuts, wild fruits, flowers, seeds, they somehow know what is good for them and what isn’t.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

Kaitlinrose101 (06-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    You can continue to offer Henry’s blocks and supplemental feeding for them if you wish. Squirrels in the wild learn what to eat in order to get the proper nutrition. They seem to know what they need. Their diets will change drastically from what we feed them to what they eat in the wild. Their bodies will absorb vitamins and minerals differently. The chances of them getting MBD in the wild is pretty much zero. Their diets in the wild will be leaves, trees, grass, various nuts, wild fruits, flowers, seeds, they somehow know what is good for them and what isn’t.
    Thank you so much for your response!

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kaitlinrose101 from:

Tuff (06-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlinrose101 View Post
    A huge difference is that out in the wild they are exposed to direct sunlight. The UV-B rays are required for them to create vitamin D3. In turn the vitamin D3 is needed to process and incorporate calcium. (Calcium deficiency is often the root cause of MBD.)

Their sense of smell is very sensitive and they can smell the vitamins and minerals so they eat what is needed to properly balance them out.

Out in the wild they can also nibble on bones, which are a great source of minerals. You might provide them with some pieces of deer antlers or beef bones, boil them beforehand to be on the safe side. (If you are providing them with houses, you might even put a piece inside the house.)

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Kaitlinrose101 (06-08-2021), Tuff (06-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuff View Post
    The chances of them getting MBD in the wild is pretty much zero.
    MBD is a consequence of humans having complete control of a squirrel's diet in captivity. If they will continue to eat the block that is a bonus.

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Kaitlinrose101 (06-08-2021), Tuff (06-08-2021)

Everyone answered all of my questions so quickly! Thank you so much!

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Kaitlinrose101 from:

Tuff (06-08-2021)