Thread: Need Cipro Dosing!

Default Need Cipro Dosing!

So, my baby has a chronic sinus infection and has to be on Baytril regularly. Note that this is not aspirational pneumonia, but pneumonia developing is a possibility if her infection gets out of control. The problem is that my vet is out of town for the week. I called on Friday because the infection is ramping up again and she called in a script for me to have delivered from an online pharmacy since she wouldn't be around to fill it.
    The problem is that the pharmacy hasn't even shipped the medicine yet and she's already having trouble breathing. I had to give her Hydroxyzine (she is also prescribed this) and use a nebulizer for 10 min earlier just to give her some relief. I don't think I can afford to wait for her Baytril to show up. Can someone please PM me dosing for Cipro to use in the meantime?

It is 500mg (white, oval tablets) and my Cleo is 1 lb. Her typical Baytril dosing is .34 of the compounded oral version.

Also, I haven't had to rely on Cipro in years, so if there's anything else I might need to know about interactions, etc. please let me know. I'd prefer to not have to do this, but I have to catch this infection before it gets any worse

Default Re: Need Cipro Dosing!

Quote Originally Posted by mel_la_fee View Post
    So, my baby has a chronic sinus infection and has to be on Baytril regularly. Note that this is not aspirational pneumonia, but pneumonia developing is a possibility if her infection gets out of control. The problem is that my vet is out of town for the week. I called on Friday because the infection is ramping up again and she called in a script for me to have delivered from an online pharmacy since she wouldn't be around to fill it.
    The problem is that the pharmacy hasn't even shipped the medicine yet and she's already having trouble breathing. I had to give her Hydroxyzine (she is also prescribed this) and use a nebulizer for 10 min earlier just to give her some relief. I don't think I can afford to wait for her Baytril to show up. Can someone please PM me dosing for Cipro to use in the meantime?

It is 500mg (white, oval tablets) and my Cleo is 1 lb. Her typical Baytril dosing is .34 of the compounded oral version.

Also, I haven't had to rely on Cipro in years, so if there's anything else I might need to know about interactions, etc. please let me know. I'd prefer to not have to do this, but I have to catch this infection before it gets any worse

Better safe then sorry...
    I'll work this up and send dosing in a pm.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Step - I just did it.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

mel_la_fee (06-07-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Step - I just did it.
    As did I...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

mel_la_fee (06-07-2021)

Oh my gosh! Thank both of you so much!!!

I tried calling the pharmacy several times to see if they could at least give me a tracking number for the baytril for whenever it does ship and never even got through. This is a life saver!

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to mel_la_fee:

Nancy in New York (06-08-2021), stepnstone (06-07-2021)