Thread: Help! What in the world is this???

Default Help! What in the world is this???

I had my male neutered Friday. He will be 3 in August. Today he urinated and this was in his urine. I’m not sure if it’s a worm or semen. Does anyone know what it is? I’m freaking out!

Name:  D82C9A64-6A3E-45B2-8E37-B7DFF5A6EB6A.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  105.0 KB

Default Please help! What in the world is this????

Name:  8852EA79-7B7C-4BEC-9E3F-7B59B8A68E14.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  105.0 KB
    I had my male neutered Friday. He will be 3 in August. He’s pretty much been sleeping since I brought him home Friday evening.(other than waking up to eat and drink)Today he’s moved around a little more. He urinated and this was in his urine! It didn’t move, could it be a roundworm? (God I hope not! ��) Or could it be semen? Does anyone know what it is?
    Last edited by Rocky0829; 06-06-2021 at 07:04 PM. Reason: Grammar error ����*♀️

Default Re: Help! What in the world is this???

LOL. It is like looking in a mirror. Many years ago I got to do my own freak out over this same thing.

When a male squirrel completes copulation with a female, he deposits this thing you are seeing - a wax plug - in the female to in essence "cork her up" so other males cannot successfully impregnate her. No need for fear!

4. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

JLM27 (06-07-2021), Rocky0829 (06-06-2021), Universalove247 (06-06-2021)

Lol! Thank you so much!!!

Default Update

So I took Rocky’s poop to the vet to have them look under the microscope just to be safe. Well the pic above is definitely the wax plug. But he does have hookworms, I have no idea how he got them. Anyways I’m treating him with Panacur, but I was wondering if it is safe to use revolution plus on him monthly to make sure he doesn’t get anymore nasty parasites?

Does he live outside?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Does he live outside?
    No ma’am. I’ve had him since he was maybe a week or 2 old. A rat snake got him out of his nest. My husband heard what he thought was 2 squirrels fighting, and they fell out of the tree. One ran back up the tree but the other didn’t. So my husband sent my son over to see if it was ok and it was rat snake, when my husband grabbed it with a rake it dropped the baby squirrel. He had bite marks from the snake, but my husband put it by the tree hoping his mom would come back, but she never did.

Default Re: Please help! What in the world is this????

I dont know but I hope someone with knowledge answers your question, so we can all learn.

Merged the duplicate threads...

Well, they don't just generate parasites - and it seems that you just had a vet diagnose hookworms but nothing more. I would do the panacur and if you want to give a dose of revolution much later (months) to catch anything that the panacur didn't and call it good. Unless he is outside where he will be in contact with "nature" she shouldn't be picking up anything else.

We had members here some years ago who had a released girl also named Rocky - in Texas. They dosed her monthly with revolution for years, but she DID live wild but came home regularly. I can't see why it would be needed in this case.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

TubeDriver (06-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky0829 View Post
    So I took Rocky’s poop to the vet to have them look under the microscope just to be safe. Well the pic above is definitely the wax plug. But he does have hookworms, I have no idea how he got them. Anyways I’m treating him with Panacur, but I was wondering if it is safe to use revolution plus on him monthly to make sure he doesn’t get anymore nasty parasites?
    Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Well, they don't just generate parasites - and it seems that you just had a vet diagnose hookworms but nothing more. I would do the panacur and if you want to give a dose of revolution much later (months) to catch anything that the panacur didn't and call it good. Unless he is outside where he will be in contact with "nature" she shouldn't be picking up anything else.

We had members here some years ago who had a released girl also named Rocky - in Texas. They dosed her monthly with revolution for years, but she DID live wild but came home regularly. I can't see why it would be needed in this case.
    If you are going to treat with revolution, I suggest using Revolution (single ingredient selamectin) and not the "Plus" version. The "sarolaner" (the plus ingredient) has more side effects in cats than the selamectin alone and I am not aware of any body of evidence that sarolaner is safe to use in squirrels. And the sarolaner was added because the patent on the selamectin had run out, which is an effort to protect their brand's price pont...

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

CritterMom (06-08-2021), Rocky0829 (06-08-2021), stepnstone (06-08-2021)