Thread: My 7 year old girl has a swollen toungue

Default My 7 year old girl has a swollen toungue

I started noticing her tongue was visible on the right side of her mouth with her mouth closed. I've also noticed the last few days when she drinks from her water bottle that a bunch of water is falling to the floor. Today I really inspected to find the swelling. At first I thought she was just holding her tongue that way but there's a problem. What could be causing this? I love her so much and I'm just scared to death!

Default Re: My 7 year old girl has a swollen toungue

Can you post up a photo of her teeth and tongue? Can you see that her teeth look the normal length?

Quote Originally Posted by Mallachi View Post
    I started noticing her tongue was visible on the right side of her mouth with her mouth closed. I've also noticed the last few days when she drinks from her water bottle that a bunch of water is falling to the floor. Today I really inspected to find the swelling. At first I thought she was just holding her tongue that way but there's a problem. What could be causing this? I love her so much and I'm just scared to death!
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Also, has something new been added to her diet recently?

Is it possible that she chewed on something she shouldn't have?

There might be some sort of irritation or allergic reaction.

OK, I was finally able to get a couple of photos of her. She's still very active. Nothing new in her diet lately. She hasn't been cleaning herself for a couple months and I now realize that it's because of her tongue. I have an exotic vet local but they don't really know how to handle her. But now I should be able to go in with her and I can hold her. I'm so frickin worried about this!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

I would get her to the vet ASAP. Is it definitely her tongue? Are her gums also involved? In order to probe this they will likely need to sedate her, but this is something that requires investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    I would get her to the vet ASAP. Is it definitely her tongue? Are her gums also involved? In order to probe this they will likely need to sedate her, but this is something that requires investigation.
    I couldn't agree more!

Her tongue isn't the only issue but if all that is her tongue it's going to
    wind up closing off her throat and choking her. Her airway is threatened!
    The teeth are definitely a problem, her mouth resembles that of a broken or fractured jaw.
    Outside not lining up the bottom incisors appear curled back, it's difficult to see how far
    and if they are "stabbing" on anything.

Name:  IMG_20210612_153252795.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  43.6 KB Name:  IMG_20210611_160625700.jpg
Views: 79
Size:  50.7 KB
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

Unhappy Re: My 7 year old girl has a swollen toungue

Sorry it's taken me a while to update this thread but I just don't have any good news. No matter what I tried I couldn't save her. It's so hard to even type this out! I did take her to the vet but there was no way to save her. It was cancer, CANCER! Something she absolutely did NOT deserve. She was so sweet and intelligent and I loved her SO much. She always listened to me when I talked to her, would look right at me til I was done saying what was on my mind. She wouldn't poop or pee outside of her cage. She was my best little friend and part of me is gone now, I'm just empty without her! I'll never feel her laying on my shoulders or have her tail brush across my face again. I had to let her go to sleep one last time, no more tuck ins at night. I miss her SO much and I just don't understand why this had to happen to her! She was starting to suffer tho and now she's free from that and with her brother now. I love you LG and I'll never forget you!

Tender sympathies for the loss of your dear one who shared part of your journey.

Many here have walked this same road of loss; you are not alone.

So sorry for your loss.