Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Baby squirrel sounds, behavior questions

Default Re: Baby squirrel sounds, behavior questions

Quote Originally Posted by KCullen View Post
    This exactly! Joe is now 13 weeks and he gets into EVERYTHING. He has learned that cords or trash are easy ways to get instant attention, so if he even picks up a cord or starts throwing tissues or something, even though I'm in the room, I will immediately stop whatever I was doing and remove him from a space. He loves to wrestle, loves kisses and to be stroked, but has started hating anyone but me. He will chase my daughter or husband, biting if necessary, from even a cracked doorway. He then runs back to me like he deserves a treat for his little victory as a tiny house rodent dictator! He has also started "cussing" at me if dinner is late! He climbs onto the curtain rod over my bed (bedroom is his safe room), and makes loud chuck or scream sounds until dinner appears in his bowl. He knows exactly how many blocks or nuts appear and at what times to expect them. He has been totally weaned for weeks and as soon as Florida calms the monsoon down long enough to work on an enclosure for him, we will start the soft release. I love him to pieces, but he is more than ready to be his own wild man

I was sad to read that the other squirrel started to attack out of no where, because I don't want Murphy to be that way with us. She is still taking some formula at about 11 weeks, she took herself off for a week but when I talked to the lady at Henry's, she told me that 9.5 weeks was too young and to try to get her back on it by adding some heavy cream and a bit of honey and that has worked.
    Murphy does still play, and we ordered a 5 foot tall cage for her because I want her to have room to climb. Its just my daughter and I, so at this point she has still been really good with us. I keep thinking she is attached to us too but after reading some threads I am not so sure. Do they bond? I see this squirrel on Facebook, Thumbelina and she is so calm and sweet. Murphy is still sweet and wants to play, she constantly runs to my daughter and I for safety if something scares her and won't get off till she feels comforted. I spent a small fortune on her cage simply to have .5 bar spacing, that is what she should have correct? Her bars are a bit bigger in the old cage and she bites them like crazy. We try to give her at least 4 hours a day out of her cage to run and play.

If for some reason she isn't being readied for release, the best way to not have this problem is time, time, time. Not just "out of cage" time but time spent directly with the people she will be living with, being handled and petted and interacted directly with. My experience is with BOYS only, but they develop at the same rate. At the age she is, she will be entering "puberty" soon, for lack of a better word. At 11-12 weeks she would just be leaving the nest and starting to learn about her world from her mom. So at this point, their little brains gear up to learn just about everything they need to know to live in a very short timespan. And their little bodies get flooded with hormones. And they enter a really difficult phase for their loving humans as this happens. My biggest issue is the "squirrelnado" where they fly around and around your body like a tree trunk, ending by launching off your face, leaving bloody shreds from their nails in their wake! It's real easy to want to hold off and not interact with something that is like trying to play with a running chainsaw. But if you do, you lose the most important time for forming a bond - when they are LEARNING everything, and you will never get that back. That means wearing multi-layered clothing regardless of the temperature. Maybe gloves. I made myself several head coverings that were basically like a wire beekeepers headgear to protect my face, which carries enough squirrel scars already, thanks.

It takes a few months but they eventually calm down. I would not be surprised if a girl squirrel would get moody and nasty during estrus but they are very short periods of time and only a couple times a year.

If she is going to be released, this is a non-issue. Once out on her own, she may totally change her behavior. I have heard of sweet, loving babies turn into terrible tyrants that chased their mom to and from her car, and just generally terrorized everyone, and standoffish, unfriendly babies start loving on their humans big time every time they see them. And honestly, a healthy disregard of humans is a good thing for squirrels to have!

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

DanniCristina (07-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    If for some reason she isn't being readied for release, the best way to not have this problem is time, time, time. Not just "out of cage" time but time spent directly with the people she will be living with, being handled and petted and interacted directly with. My experience is with BOYS only, but they develop at the same rate. At the age she is, she will be entering "puberty" soon, for lack of a better word. At 11-12 weeks she would just be leaving the nest and starting to learn about her world from her mom. So at this point, their little brains gear up to learn just about everything they need to know to live in a very short timespan. And their little bodies get flooded with hormones. And they enter a really difficult phase for their loving humans as this happens. My biggest issue is the "squirrelnado" where they fly around and around your body like a tree trunk, ending by launching off your face, leaving bloody shreds from their nails in their wake! It's real easy to want to hold off and not interact with something that is like trying to play with a running chainsaw. But if you do, you lose the most important time for forming a bond - when they are LEARNING everything, and you will never get that back. That means wearing multi-layered clothing regardless of the temperature. Maybe gloves. I made myself several head coverings that were basically like a wire beekeepers headgear to protect my face, which carries enough squirrel scars already, thanks.

It takes a few months but they eventually calm down. I would not be surprised if a girl squirrel would get moody and nasty during estrus but they are very short periods of time and only a couple times a year.

If she is going to be released, this is a non-issue. Once out on her own, she may totally change her behavior. I have heard of sweet, loving babies turn into terrible tyrants that chased their mom to and from her car, and just generally terrorized everyone, and standoffish, unfriendly babies start loving on their humans big time every time they see them. And honestly, a healthy disregard of humans is a good thing for squirrels to have!
    I have to be honest, My daughter and I laughed so hard over the "squirrelnado" I know that very thing you are talking about, only we are very lucky she has only scratched our faces a couple of times and they werent that bad. However she does run around us like a little cyclone, it makes us laugh but if not wearing enough clothes it does hurt. Every time something spooks her, she runs to one of us for protection and will stay on us until she feels safe. Tonight, we took her out of her smaller cage she had been in since we rescued her, and I have purchased a 5 foot tall cage (just over as I am 5'3 and this is same height or a bit bigger) and it has a good width as well. We put her old bedding in it too and her toys. She was able to run up and down all the bars, we did put some of the shelves in that came with the cage and a couple ramps but I need to see pictures of cages so I can make it as best as I can for her. She was frantic even though we spent a couple hours slowly introducing her to it and it took her quite some time to finally settle down and sleep. I felt so bad, but I do believe this cage is better for her than a small on story. She loves play wrestling with my daughter, wants to explore but does not want to be too far either, and we were planning on releasing her. She is extremely attached to us and so, this makes it difficult for us to know that releasing is the best option. She did start taking formula again after taking herself off for a week at about 9.5 weeks, now the last couple days at just over 11 weeks she has been refusing again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12