Thread: Is it mange or just restless sleeper ?

Default Is it mange or just restless sleeper ?

I have a nesting box set up on my balcony (live in dense city, no trees nearby), I have a camera installed inside and I get the feed on my phone.

Over the past 2 weeks, we've had a regular coming almost everyday and staying for over 12 hours. I'd like to think it is the same one (lots of squirrels in the area, and once I found 2 cuddling inside).

Assuming it's the same little guy, I noticed that he's trying to sleep but he's super twitchy and I'm not sure if it's mange or fleas or he's just twitching.

I honestly believe it's either mange or fleas because some of the twitches turn into scratching or tail gnawing. He doesn't have any bald patches and his tail is nice and fluffy.

I don't know much about squirrel behavior before I set up the box, and I'm learning everything through the feed I have set up.

I'm attaching a short clip from my nest cam. (I've only found out this week that polyfill as nest bedding is no longer recommended by reading the pinned post on this forum, I'm planning on changing it to papertowel soon)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Jny...w?usp=drivesdk

Default Re: Is it mange or just restless sleeper ?

Baby squirrels are very twitchy, but this one is a bit older so I'm thinking it could be mange mites or fleas. Changing the bedding will help, but I would also use a very light spray of Zodiac flea & tick for Cats & Kittens. I have used it for years and it is harmless but effective.

The best bedding for a squirrel box is what mamma squirrel uses: leaves. Love your squirrel cam -- what a great idea!
    Island Rehabber
    NY State Licensed
    Wildlife Rehabilitator

"Ancora Imparo" (I am still learning)
    Michelangelo

If you can't afford the vet,
    You can't afford a pet.
    NEGLECT IS ABUSE.

"Better one day in the trees, than a lifetime in a cage."

'...and the greatest of these, is Love. '

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to island rehabber from:

Rock Monkey (06-03-2021)