Thread: 9 week old can't open a nut...

Default 9 week old can't open a nut...

... Is that normal? I offered her a pecan and she seemed very interested, gnawed at it a bit, but then just buried it. She does this with a lot of foods, seems very interested and enthusiastic about eating it, but only takes teeny tiny nibbles and then buries it or leaves it. I am not sure if this is an individual squirrel thing or normal for her age and hoping it doesn't mean an issue with her teeth. The only things I can tell she is actually eating and not taking tiny nibbles of are HHB and Mazuri rodent blocks. She is still taking about 6-10cc of formula per day. I have not been able to take a close look at her teeth. Am I overthinking this? What do normal teeth look like at this age?

Default Re: 9 week old can't open a nut...

Firstly, it does take time for them to figure how to open a nut. It is totally round and doesn't give way immediately. It is a skill that they need to practice and with practice they get better. Some nuts are definitely more challenging than others, hickory nuts and black walnuts have a very thick shell for instance. A pecan is a good nut to start with, the shell is relatively thin.

I would suggest taking a pair of pliers and lightly cracking one nut. That crack should present a weakness that the squirrel can exploit. It also will make the smell of the nut meat more powerful. Once they eat one they will more motivated in the future with any pecans that they are presented. After some practice over a couple of weeks with cracked nuts they will figure out the best method for opening a nut without any help. They will get more and more efficient.

Please remember that captive squirrels should not be given more than one or two nuts a day in order to prevent their minerals from getting out of balance, leading to serious health problems.

Name:  Proper squirrel teeth.png
Views: 65
Size:  113.2 KB

Here is a photo which shows what healthy, normal teeth looks like, the images on the left. The images on the right show malocclusion.

Note, don't pull back the lower lip when examining the teeth because then the bottom teeth look freakishly long.

(Note anyone who has gotten a full bite from a squirrel can testify to how deep the bite is. This reflects the length of the bottom teeth. Also the long bottom teeth are handy for raking nut meat out of small, narrow crevices.)

Thanks, both!

I took your advice Rock Monkey and offered her an almond with some broken shell in the corner, and she seemed to have a lot easier of a time opening it! My girl's gonna be ok out there! LOL

I know to limit her nut intake per this board, otherwise I'd be giving her tons of those things instinctively thinking it was the best thing for her. I do wonder if she will ever develop a taste for veggies though. From what I offer, she seems to only actually eat: formula, HHB, Mazuri rodent blocks, strawberries, tree bark, and now, nuts. I hope that's ok for the long term but really hoping she'll eventually expand her palate!

You might also try cooked sweet potato and butternut squash, avocado (no skin or pit, these contain toxins), and try some plain, whole milk Greek yogurt (maybe with a touch of honey added). Many grey squirrels like these foods.