Thread: 6 years old grey squirrel looking for new home

Default 6 years old grey squirrel looking for new home

Hello! The 6 years old grey squirrel looking for new home as the owner is leaving the country. Squirrel had injured leg and was unable to live in the wild so was taken care at home in North Georgia.
    We are looking for individual or organization that could provide her new home.

Default Re: 6 years old grey squirrel looking for new home

Can you share more about the squirrels background. You mentioned a leg injury, how does the injury impact the squirrels.

Pictures always help when trying to re-home a squirrel... and any other information that can be shared. The more info the better.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

bubba (06-11-2021)

I have the squirrel for 6 years now. I found her when she fell from her nest, few feet down to the
    ground. She couldn’t eat on her own at that time and needed to be fed bottle as she was so young. I
    noticed that she had some issues with her left paw. I took her to vet where she had x-ray done. X-ray
    showed that all the bones are ok but there must have been either muscle or nerve damage as she
    always keeps that paw close to her. I couldn’t give her away to the Wildlife rescue service as they told
    me they were already at the limits of their capacity and the vet said she would not survive in the wild
    due to the issues with her paw. Before I taught Basia (Little Barbara) to eat nuts, I took her to vet and
    had her teeth trimmed few times. The vet recommended not to vaccinate Basia as she has no contact
    with any other squirrels or other animals. Besides that paw, she has no other health issues. She eats
    nuts which she cracks open herself. She also eats other variety of food – apples, mangoes, cherries,
    pears, almonds, tomatoes, strawberries, fresh twigs from the garden. Everything she likes. She has a big
    cage that is connected to other cage and she moves between them as she pleases. Often I open the cage
    and she never destroyed anything in the room she is located, even though I leave her by herself for
    hours at a time. She misplaces some item of course… I need to find Basia a new and good home because
    this year I am moving to Europe and I cannot take her with me as regulations do not allow so.

Name:  IMG_20210606_183832.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  122.5 KBName:  IMG_20210606_183834.jpg
Views: 777
Size:  135.9 KBName:  IMG_20210606_183837.jpg
Views: 561
Size:  86.1 KBName:  IMG_20210606_183840.jpg
Views: 510
Size:  137.6 KB

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bubba from:

Rock Monkey (06-12-2021)

Does she cuddle? Is she affectionate? Does she groom you? Does she allow you to handle her? Does she climb on you? Is she able to climb?

Do her teeth have to be trimmed or do they wear down properly on their own?

She doesn't like to be taken in hands but she does climb me and likes petting. By the way she walks, jumps or climbs it does not look like she has any issues with the paw. I give her hard nuts every day and she does not have any problems with opening them and because of that her teeth are trimmed.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bubba from:

Rock Monkey (06-13-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    By the way she walks, jumps or climbs it does not look like she has any issues with the paw.
    Does she use the paw when climbing or jumping, or does she just manage with the three points of contact?

She manages with the three points of contact

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to bubba from:

Rock Monkey (06-15-2021)

Hello!
    Anyone interested or could advice where I could give Basia away?

Where in north Georgia are you located?

Quote Originally Posted by Lehighmal View Post
    Where in north Georgia are you located?

Suwanee, GA

I pray a good home will be found, I know it has to be so difficult for you. Just know adoption has been done many times before and has worked out wonderfully 🥰
    I know this because I've adopted 3 times and after the initial "get acquainted" period, love wins and everyone is happy as can be😍
    I wish the same for your sweet girl Basia
    BTW Basia is one of my favorite singers, not sure if there is a connection 😉
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Charley Chuckles:

island rehabber (07-16-2021), Nancy in New York (07-09-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by bubba View Post
    Suwanee, GA
    You are about an hour from me.

Has she ever been in an outdoor enclosure to enjoy supervised/safe "outside time"? Is she friendly/tolerant with other people other than yourself?

Bubba - I have a guest who is admiring my squirrel and talking about wanting one. I will show him this post as soon as they return from sight-seeing today. It would be a 6 hour drive if you met him halfway.... I'm messaging you directly with my contact information (if I can figure out how to do that...).

19. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tinkerbelle from:

bubba (07-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Tinkerbelle View Post
    Bubba - I have a guest who is admiring my squirrel and talking about wanting one. I will show him this post as soon as they return from sight-seeing today. It would be a 6 hour drive if you met him halfway.... I'm messaging you directly with my contact information (if I can figure out how to do that...).

There have been "SQUIRREL TRAINS " on this board that were even further away😉
    Charley Chuckles gone from my arms FOREVER in my heart 8/14/04-3/7/13
    Simon, our time was too short together, but you gave us so much love, be with CC now 3/7/14

The "CHARLEY CHUCKLES MEMORIAL RAIL TOUR" leaves the station choo chooo
    *Deland,FL. *Washington DC *Boston (Back Bay) *Boston (North Station) *Wells,Maine *Albany,NY *New York (Penn Station) *Back to Deland FL. "July 1- July 22" 2013

http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RIAL-RAIL-TOUR Check it out here
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...OW-A-NEW-MOMMY!!!!!
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...RAINBOW-BRIDGE
    http://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/s...e-called-Simon
    charleychuckles1@gmail.com

I'm not poof reading any of this

Do you feed her rodent block or supply calcium in addition to the whole foods diet your provide?

Quote Originally Posted by Diggie's Friend View Post
    Do you feed her rodent block or supply calcium in addition to the whole foods diet your provide?
    No, I only give her nuts, fruit and so on

Oh not good. Please stop and read immediately about MBD a sub forum of the "Specific Aliments forum".

Also read this thread, it relates that the rodent block is the number one source squirrels require for nutrition and mineral supplementation when cared for in captivity. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...-Pet-Squirrels

One source comes with pecans in it should help to appeal to her desire for nuts still, yet limit the amount of her consumption of them. "Henry's Healthy Block" "Picky eaters" is what I would recomment you ordering immediately; for an adult squirrel if they haven't ever been fed rodent block before.

While waiting for it to arrive hopefully in a day or two at most, go purchase Calcium carbonate or calcium citrate; both good sources of calcium that are available at markets and supplement stores. At this point stop feeding her nuts; instead place 125 mg. elemental calcium, that which a volume measure is noted to contain that is lower than the weight of the volume bulk measure. Mix it in with 1/2 Tsp. of cooked plain oatmeal with 1/2 Tsp. applesauce (no artificial sugars period) best source organic if avilable that has only the naturally occuring sugar the applesauce contains. Offer this twice a day, once AM and once PM. and again no nuts at all. Once you get the rodent block try feeding her the block only till she accepts it, yet if she refuses you can grind it up and put it into applesauce to make it more appealing.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Diggie's Friend:

island rehabber (07-16-2021), sundoesshine (07-16-2021)

Here is the link for Henry's healthy block for picky eaters directly from the baker.

https://www.henryspets.com/picky-blo...SABEgKVxfD_BwE

Glad to read that the vet thought her bones were ok from the X ray, yet there is no replacing the need for calcium and phosphorus in a higher intake of calcium with a (2.5:1) ratio i Calcium to phosphorus intake in the whole diet daily.

Have you found placement for her yet?

Do u still have the squirrel? If so contact me at jessicahardin031789@gmail.com. thanks