Thread: Baby Indian Palm Squirrel Not Eating Anything

Default Baby Indian Palm Squirrel Not Eating Anything

I have 3 baby Indian Palm Squirrels, all 8 weeks old. Till yesterday night, all was good, but from today morning, one of the squirrel baby is not eating anything. I have tried formula, I have tried nuts, I have tried fruits, I have tried everything but whenever I bring food infront of him, he just turns his mouth away and doesn't wanna eat it. Also although he has not eaten anything but he is active ( sometimes he is feeling dizzy and after a few secs he is again running) .
    His belly is not bloated at all, poop is normal too, also he is peeing normally, but not eating anything at all. The other two squirrels are eating and running around though.
    What should I do? I checked if it's any case of aspiration but no clicking sound and no breathing from mouth but his heart beat is faster than the other two.
    He is playing around but if you pick him then you will notice he has become weak and light.
    Please help. He is not eating anything. Anything. He is bitting the wooden items sometimes. He hasn't eaten anything for nearly 8hrs. Should I force feed him some formula? I don't want to do that so please help. Please 🙏🙏🙏

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Arjun Karfa from:

Rock Monkey (06-01-2021)

Default Re: Baby Indian Palm Squirrel Not Eating Anything

Force feeding is a bad idea. There is a good chance this would cause aspiration, then for sure you will have a bad situation.

How is water supplied to your three squirrels? If they are fed from a water dish, the sides of the water dish should not be taller than the thickness of your finger and the water should just cover the bottom of the dish. This is very important to prevent them from submerging their nostrils when they are drinking which can lead to aspiration. You don't want their head to be dipping down at an angle when they drink, having it be more or less horizontal is much safer.

Here is a list of the symptoms of aspiration pneumonia. It sounds like he already exhibits some of the symptoms.

Symptoms:
    1. Lethargic (inactive)
    2. Difficult/labored breathing or rapid breathing or slow breathing and/or open mouth breathing
    3. Rapid heartbeat
    4. Fever or Chills
    5. Pale, bluish to dark purple skin from a lack of oxygen (Look at lips and pads of feet)
    6. Nasal discharge
    7. Sweet or foul smelling breath
    8. Wheezing, crackling, or clicking sounds when inhaling and/or exhaling

If it is deemed that he does have Aspiration Pneumonia a course of antibiotics at the proper weight adjusted dosage would be required.

Is it possible that he took another bad fall and hit his head? That might also explain some of these symptoms.

Is he withholding weight from any particular limb?

Eight hours isn't a long time to go without eating. Does he currently drink water of his own initiative?

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Arjun Karfa (06-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Force feeding is a bad idea. There is a good chance this would cause aspiration, then for sure you will have a bad situation.

How is water supplied to your three squirrels? If they are fed from a water dish, the sides of the water dish should not be taller than the thickness of your finger and the water should just cover the bottom of the dish. This is very important to prevent them from submerging their nostrils when they are drinking which can lead to aspiration. You don't want their head to be dipping down at an angle when they drink, having it be more or less horizontal is much safer.

Here is a list of the symptoms of aspiration pneumonia. It sounds like he already exhibits some of the symptoms.

Symptoms:
    1. Lethargic (inactive)
    2. Difficult/labored breathing or rapid breathing or slow breathing and/or open mouth breathing
    3. Rapid heartbeat
    4. Fever or Chills
    5. Pale, bluish to dark purple skin from a lack of oxygen (Look at lips and pads of feet)
    6. Nasal discharge
    7. Sweet or foul smelling breath
    8. Wheezing, crackling, or clicking sounds when inhaling and/or exhaling

If it is deemed that he does have Aspiration Pneumonia a course of antibiotics at the proper weight adjusted dosage would be required.

Is it possible that he took another bad fall and hit his head? That might also explain some of these symptoms.

Is he withholding weight from any particular limb?

Eight hours isn't a long time to go without eating. Does he currently drink water of his own initiative?
    Actually he is not the one which had the fall. That one is totally fine and is running around all the time.

Now then, I was also thinking about aspiration pneumonia but somewhere I felt it's not aspiration this time around. I mean he is running around, playing with the books, trying to tear pages, bitting wooden items and everything thing seems fine but just when I bring food, he is not eating at all. He comes running to the food, smells a little, licks one time and gone. He drank like 1.5ml of the formula only at night and similar amount at evening. But till yesterday night he used to drink 4ml of the formula. The other two squirrels are drinking fine but this one is just running away. Also in the evening he was biting me (which he normally doesn't) but playfully.

Also when I was studying in the evening today, he was playing with his siblings and after sometimes he came to me and just sat on my shoulder for some amount of time, like taking a rest, which if when he does ,it's like for a few seconds, but this time he was like that for like 30seconds, not moving at all ( may be I am overthinking but I thought I should tell every details).

Also there is one thing ( maybe I am just seeing it) that
    before drinking any formula,his belly was totally flat but when he drank like 1.5ml of the formula, his belly started looking totally full (like he has drunk 4ml).

I have no idea what is it, but I am really worried because he is running away from food which a day ago he used to jump around after seeing. Please help 🙏🙏🙏

Is there anything in his diet that contains wheat? Wheat can cause constipation which if bad enough can result in substantially diminished appetite. However, you say he is pooping like normal.

Is it possible that he might have eaten something that isn't food that has upset his stomach?

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Arjun Karfa (06-02-2021)

He is playing normally but has become a little lethargic too. Not eating ,just like yesterday. Though he took 4-5 small bites of guava today. Right now he is playing with his siblings. He has sneezed 2 times only since yesterday.
    The one thing I noticed is he is licking the cracked walls sometimes (no cob web there but can it upset his stomach as some dust or lime stone dust might be there?) . Also one if my other squirrel also does that but he is fine tho.
    I have no idea how this thing started. I mean till day before yesterday everything was good, but since yesterday he is not eating anything at all.
    Also he is biting things like paper and wires, so can it be teeth related (I checked and it's small actually, so can it be that teeth are growing that's why appetite loss is there). But still no eating at all.
    Again while writing, he sneezed once again ( small sneeze).
    I don't know what is happening to him but am feeling worried. What should I do?
    The heart beat is normal right now. No purple patch under the feet. Temperature is normal. Running right now and energy is good.
    But not eating
    Please help

Quote Originally Posted by Arjun Karfa View Post
    Also there is one thing ( maybe I am just seeing it) that
    before drinking any formula,his belly was totally flat but when he drank like 1.5ml of the formula, his belly started looking totally full (like he has drunk 4ml).

Can you get some simethicone ("Gas_X") infant drops? It might help with the bloating, if that is what is happening. Just a very small drop (0.1ml) and it can be given up to 4X a day.

Also, this may be an obstruction in the intestines.... hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Giving lots of water will help to move things along if this might be the issue; the simethicone would also help in this case.

10. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Arjun Karfa (06-02-2021), island rehabber (06-02-2021), Rock Monkey (06-02-2021)

How do your baby palms get their water?

The sneezing concerns me.

Having you been keeping track of his weight? Daily weight reading can give an idea of how bad the problem is. We are especially concerned when the weight starts going down.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Arjun Karfa (06-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post

Can you get some simethicone ("Gas_X") infant drops? It might help with the bloating, if that is what is happening. Just a very small drop (0.1ml) and it can be given up to 4X a day.

Also, this may be an obstruction in the intestines.... hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. Giving lots of water will help to move things along if this might be the issue; the simethicone would also help in this case.
    Sorry but right now I don't have Gas-x with me. But I have Gripe Water for babies. Will it help?

Yes I am trying to give him water, he is just running around ( maybe he is going to be a sage with his "no food policy" )
    A good news is he ate 3 pieces of apple in the evening and 1.5ml of the formula. Same goes for his night eating. After seeing the food in hand, he comes running to me, and then smells the food and done. He goes back playing. I have to bring the food to him, then only he eats.
    Also I gave a piece of branch from a nearby tree, and he was playing with it and chewing it all evening. Energy is looking good , though sometimes he stops for 15-20secs (which he didn't used to do earlier).

He is atleast trying to eat solid food but seeing the formula he is running away and turns his mouth away.

In the night when I was feeding them, he ran away after smelling the formula. Then I put a little of it on my finger and bring it infront of him, and he licks a little. Then plays and comes and licks a little. This way he took 1.4ml of formula and is playing right now.

I am worried as if you pick him you will feel that he has become lighter. So what should I do?
    Also as I said earlier, I have Gripe water for babies with me right now.
    Appreciate you guys help. Thank you🙏

Sorry but right now I don't have Gas-x with me. But I have Gripe Water for babies. Will it help?
    I would not give the gripe water.

What type of formula are you feeding him? Sometimes they can be very picky about the formula temperature and often like it much warmer than we would feed a baby human.

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I would not give the gripe water.

What type of formula are you feeding him? Sometimes they can be very picky about the formula temperature and often like it much warmer than we would feed a baby human.
    I am giving them goat milk formula and apples and almonds. Yeah the formula I give them, I give it warm. The problem is he stopped eating suddenly. Today he took like 2pieces of apple and only 1ml of the formula. Sneezed once in the evening. I don't know if it's aspiration or not though. If it is then may be a mild one. He has normal heart rate, sometimes lethargic a little. He has become light.

Today I gave them black plum fruit but after taking two bites he ran away.
    What should I do? In one night he started hating his food but how is that possible. Anyway thanks again.
    Please help 🙏🙏

I am giving them goat milk formula and apples and almonds. Yeah the formula I give them, I give it warm. The problem is he stopped eating suddenly. Today he took like 2pieces of apple and only 1ml of the formula. Sneezed once in the evening. I don't know if it's aspiration or not though. If it is then may be a mild one. He has normal heart rate, sometimes lethargic a little. He has become light.

Today I gave them black plum fruit but after taking two bites he ran away.
    What should I do? In one night he started hating his food but how is that possible. Anyway thanks again.
    Please help 🙏🙏
    Right now he is biting a small stick 🤔🧐 He is playing as usual ( just slowly down sometimes). Biting everything other than food (even licking the walls)
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Update: My squirrel is drinking the formula a little today (2ml max) but he is not taking the syringe inside his mouth (which he previously did) and nor he is drinking it from the bowl. I have to push the syringe so that a drop of the formula comes out and he is licking that. Also in the evening he sneezed 3times. He is playing right now.
    Hopefully he will get better. Anyone who has any idea about this type of situation, your help is really appreciated. Thank you guys.

Is he still pooping and peeing normally? Is his belly bloated?

As you say, he may have a mild case of AP.

Have you been tracking his weight every day? If so, how has it been changing since he became reluctant to eat.

You might want to consider a course of antibiotics, in my opinion.

Have you tried giving him some plain, whole milk Greek yogurt? It contains lots of probiotics which can help if his digestion is not working normally.

Sorry for updating late.
    He is fine now. Drinking 4-5ml of the solution. I kept an electric warmer under their bed. Though he is not taking the syringe inside his mouth. Playing and chewing everything in his path �� . Thanks a lot to everyone who helped and supported me. Also for your suggestion (about mild ap),acting on which I kept the warmer under them. Maybe he had a little cold. Also he his eating more solid food now. Weight is coming up again. Also can I give cabbage leaves? And any other vegetables?
    Thanks everyone ��

Also for your suggestion (about mild ap),acting on which I kept the warmer under them. Maybe he had a little cold. Also he his eating more solid food now. Weight is coming up again. Also can I give cabbage leaves? And any other vegetables?
    Thanks everyone ��
    The heating pad allowed him to spend more of his body's energy fighting what was ailing him, as opposed to using energy to keep warm.

Regarding new foods, it is a good idea to give new foods in moderation, to watch carefully how it effects them, monitoring their poop and pee to make sure that it isn't messing up their digestive balance.

https://www.henryspets.com/healthy-d...pet-squirrels/

Here is a list of food that you might look over and experiment with.