Thread: Wild Fox injured from cat

Default Wild Fox injured from cat

One of these damn cats got a hold of a wild red (Fox Squirrel). I hollered & cat tried taking off with squirrel but eventually dropped it. The red hobbled across parking lot and went up tree. Looks like it has wound on side but it wont come to me. Any suggestions?

Also any suggestions on how to make all these cats quit attacking the squirrels? I know its their nature, but im about to start "hunting" the cats before one gets ahold of my Runt Runt! Or one of her babies.
    Last edited by Spanky; 06-05-2021 at 04:37 PM.

Default Re: Wild red injured from cat

Its still in the same tree. I guess im going to try to climb and see if i can get it. I really need to know what meds or treatment it needs. Any info asap would be greatly appreciated

With cat bites you want to treat them with antibiotics as there is some nasty stuff in cat spit.

Is there a soft food that these reds like? You might be able to blend in some antibiotics and toss the food to the squirrel.

Be careful trying to climb the tree.

Regarding the cat, every time it comes into your yard glare at it (which shouldn't be hard) /growl at it/ yell at it. That should get it moving, keep moving towards it until it goes away. Additionally you might consider a nerve gun and/or a super soaker.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

jessijuju (06-01-2021)

Correction: nerf gun, not nerve gun. Ooops. ???

Look around and see if you have any antibiotics. Also call friends and family and see what they have. You will only need one or two pills. Post what you have found and then we can proceed from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Correction: nerf gun, not nerve gun. Ooops. ???

Look around and see if you have any antibiotics. Also call friends and family and see what they have. You will only need one or two pills. Post what you have found and then we can proceed from there.

I already do chase & hiss at every cat i see. The bad part is that the cat was actually in its own yard when this happened. I still chased it, until it released the squirrel.

I have clavamox pills 62.5mg. Maybe crush it and put in peanut butter or ?

The squirrel of course went higher in the tree that night. Yesterday it was in the tree in my yard. I put nuts by tree and it didnt touch them. I did see it on the ground (possibly eating helicopters from maple tree) and it seemed to climb and move good. So hopefully it will be ok if i can get some antibiotics in it somehow. I havent checked to see if its still there today as its been raining all morning 🙁 Hopefully it managed to stay dry.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jessijuju from:

Rock Monkey (06-01-2021)

Do have a picture of this squirrel? Or can you get one? If antibiotics are to be administered we will need to be able to guesstimate its weight so that a proper dosage can be calculated for the Clavamox.

The cat saliva will take some time to work its ill effects. I would expect the squirrel to weaken and/or abscesses to form at the wound sites. So, keep an eye out over the coming days, even if the physical damage from the encounter wasn't bad, if the wound was deep enough to get in the blood stream, serious problems may occur.

Maybe other members can suggest good ways to deliver a course of antibiotics to a wild.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Do have a picture of this squirrel? Or can you get one? If antibiotics are to be administered we will need to be able to guesstimate its weight so that a proper dosage can be calculated for the Clavamox.

The cat saliva will take some time to work its ill effects. I would expect the squirrel to weaken and/or abscesses to form at the wound sites. So, keep an eye out over the coming days, even if the physical damage from the encounter wasn't bad, if the wound was deep enough to get in the blood stream, serious problems may occur.

Maybe other members can suggest good ways to deliver a course of antibiotics to a wild.
    I will try to get a pic. It was a fairly little red. Guessn a teenager.

Quote Originally Posted by jessijuju View Post
    I will try to get a pic. It was a fairly little red. Guessn a teenager.
    Good. Hopefully there can be some other objects in the picture which will give a size reference.

Name:  Screenshot_20210602-001347_Motion photo viewer.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  85.0 KB

There isnt really much to use for a size refererence. Im gonna guess it weighs 2-3 lbs. Ill try tomorrow to get a better pic and watch it more closely. I think it does have a hurt leg.

I will PM you dosing info on the clavamox 62.5mg

13. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

jessijuju (06-02-2021)

Default CORRECTION: wild FOX squirrel injured from cat

Sorry for any confusion on my post. We only have Fox and Eastern grays here in missouri, and we tend to refer to them as reds and grays. I forget that there are actual Red Squirrels elsewhere that are much smaller than fox squirrels.

I was able to get a little bit of antibiotics to the squirrel before another one came to steal its nuts. It has moved on so hopefully it will be ok or at least hang around close by.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to jessijuju from:

Rock Monkey (06-06-2021)