Thread: What is wrong with my friends squirrel

Default What is wrong with my friends squirrel

My friend's dad is an exterminator and got a call about a rat in someone's house. Turns out it was a squirrel and he brought it home because they could not find his mom and he was still at the age where he was needing milk. My friend named him Marlowe. A couple weeks ago Marlowe started shaking all of a sudden. It only lasted about a minute and then he was fine. It still scared my friend though and he hoped it would never happen again. Unfortunately, these shaking episodes have kept occurring, and are getting more frequent. Marlowe has started making noises when he shakes.

If anyone has any idea of what could be happening or knows a way we can help him, please reply. We are scared for Marlowe's health and we were hoping he would be able to be released soon, as he is basically old enough now.

Default Re: What is wrong with my friends squirrel

More background is needed to try to unravel the riddle.

How old was Marlowe, and how long ago was it, that he came into the care f your friend?

What kind of milk was he feed?

What is his diet today?

First thoughts are MBD... that can cause seizures and we're always wary of MBD in young squirrels. But more info on the milk and diet is needed to help figure this out.

3. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Rock Monkey (05-31-2021), RockyPops (05-29-2021), stepnstone (05-29-2021), Tuff (05-29-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    More background is needed to try to unravel the riddle.

How old was Marlowe, and how long ago was it, that he came into the care f your friend?

What kind of milk was he feed?

What is his diet today?

First thoughts are MBD... that can cause seizures and we're always wary of MBD in young squirrels. But more info on the milk and diet is needed to help figure this out.
    My friend estimates Marlowe was about 4-5 weeks old when they found him on April 4th, so he's had him for almost 2 months. He was fed puppy formula (esbilac mixed 1:1 with half and half). Now he eats fruits, vegetables, and seeds.

Quote Originally Posted by martinmag1120 View Post
    My friend estimates Marlowe was about 4-5 weeks old when they found him on April 4th, so he's had him for almost 2 months. He was fed puppy formula (esbilac mixed 1:1 with half and half). Now he eats fruits, vegetables, and seeds.
    I would say that is nutritional values are completely out of wake. So the formula should have been 2:1 Esbilac powdered puppy formula, mixed 8 hours before feeding. Ditch the half and half, seeds, and the fruits. Depending on the veggies you are feeding him I would say he isn’t getting the calcium needed to survive. If these are seizures then this is a complete emergency. She need to get some Tums crush them up and start giving him Tums. How often I am not for sure. There is a section on Henry’s website that has MBD emergency protocol and what to do. I will post the link in a minute. That would be my diagnosis at this point I am sure a more experienced rehabber will chime in.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

sundoesshine (05-31-2021)