Thread: How to get squirrel to take oral antibiotics?

Default How to get squirrel to take oral antibiotics?

I have SMZ- TMP DS for aspiration pneumonia.
    The squirrel is approx. 5 weeks old and weighs 107g.
    I gathered from another thread:
    Cut pill in 1/4, dissolve in 5ml of water
    Feed .01ml per 25g so in this case feed .04ml of solution twice a day.
    If this is correct, how do I get her to take it? The taste must be bad and I don't know how warm I can make the solution without compromising it.
    It obviously can't be forced as that would make aspiration pneumonia worse
    Suggestions? Thank you so much in advance!

Default Re: How to get squirrel to take oral antibiotics?

Don’t dose until you get verification of the right amount. You must list the strength of the SMZ pill you have for it to be properly calculated.

What makes you think your squirrel has AP? SMZ is not an ideal choice for this because it takes awhile to begin working. Can you locate any Ciproflaxin (human)/ Baytril (animal) or Augmentin (human)/ Clavamox (animal)? Both of these drugs work faster and are effective treatment for AP.

And yes, you give oral meds by just squirting it in their mouth. Ideally the amount is so small that it’s only a drop or two.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

gunpackingrandma (05-26-2021), island rehabber (05-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Don’t dose until you get verification of the right amount. You must list the strength of the SMZ pill you have for it to be properly calculated.

What makes you think your squirrel has AP? SMZ is not an ideal choice for this because it takes awhile to begin working. Can you locate any Ciproflaxin (human)/ Baytril (animal) or Augmentin (human)/ Clavamox (animal)? Both of these drugs work faster and are effective treatment for AP.

And yes, you give oral meds by just squirting it in their mouth. Ideally the amount is so small that it’s only a drop or two.

Thanks for your reply! I had the SMZ-TMP DS on hand, I am worried I won't be able to get the any of the other medications in time.
    It is 800mg SMZ/ 160 TMP for a total of 960mg.
    I saw some formula bubble out the nose and I can hear the clicking when she breathes.

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rocktrail from:

Rock Monkey (05-26-2021)

Yes, with AP, given its quick, lethal potential it is better to treat sooner rather than later.

Hopefully, an administrator can PM you the proper dosing soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocktrail View Post
    Thanks for your reply! I had the SMZ-TMP DS on hand, I am worried I won't be able to get the any of the other medications in time.
    It is 800mg SMZ/ 160 TMP for a total of 960mg.
    I saw some formula bubble out the nose and I can hear the clicking when she breathes.

I will work this up and send dilution and dosing to your private messages...

The squirrel is approx. 5 weeks old and weighs 107g.
    I gathered from another thread:
    Cut pill in 1/4, dissolve in 5ml of water
    Feed .01ml per 25g so in this case feed .04ml of solution twice a day.
    This is two of the reasons why tsb does not dose on the open board.
    Unless a pill is purposely scored to be cut / seperated one can not be
    assured the components are being evenly distributed.
    Proper dosing amounts per weight can be just as important.

Dosing has been sent to PM
    Last edited by stepnstone; 05-26-2021 at 02:39 PM.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. 6 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Grinderhead (05-26-2021), gunpackingrandma (05-26-2021), Mel1959 (05-27-2021), Nancy in New York (05-27-2021), Rock Monkey (05-26-2021), Spanky (05-26-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post

I have a question about the use of Cipro in any infant, child, baby squirrel.. it is contraindicated in human children bc it affects the growth of the bones.... Is this a case of the benefits outweigh the risks???

Quote Originally Posted by Crystalrx View Post
    I have a question about the use of Cipro in any infant, child, baby squirrel.. it is contraindicated in human children bc it affects the growth of the bones.... Is this a case of the benefits outweigh the risks???

That is correct, and the risk is more associated with long term use... we typically don't want to give for more than 5 days. Their are safer, effective medications like Bactrim (although slower acting) the rate of success in treating AP with Cipro/Baytril is phenomenal.

Post Re: How to get squirrel to take oral antibiotics?

Hi. I am new here and unable to start a new post yet and I have a similar situation to this post. I have a 4-5 week-old orphaned squirrel and the person that found it gave it regular milk and I'm afraid she has AP. She now has milk boogers coming out every time she eats and rapid breathing, not a lot of clicking yet but I can faintly hear it starting. Since today is Labor Day I'm struggling to find help and hoping I can get it here. She's 106g and I have a 100mg(gen) tab of amoxicillin on hand as well as Benadryl (I read that Benadryl can help in addition to the amox.) Can you help me find the appropriate dosage for her?

Quote Originally Posted by Olskar View Post
    Hi. I am new here and unable to start a new post yet and I have a similar situation to this post. I have a 4-5 week-old orphaned squirrel and the person that found it gave it regular milk and I'm afraid she has AP. She now has milk boogers coming out every time she eats and rapid breathing, not a lot of clicking yet but I can faintly hear it starting. Since today is Labor Day I'm struggling to find help and hoping I can get it here. She's 106g and I have a 100mg(gen) tab of amoxicillin on hand as well as Benadryl (I read that Benadryl can help in addition to the amox.) Can you help me find the appropriate dosage for her?
    Dosing has been sent to you by PM.

It obviously can't be forced as that would make aspiration pneumonia worse
    Suggestions? Thank you so much in advance!
    @Crittermom just helped me with our little guy and an amoxicillin dosage. The amox has a very strong smell/taste. I just dipped the tip of the syringe into a sprinkle of sugar enough so that were a few grains stuck to it. He hasnt even reacted at all the 3x he's taken it. Its such a small amount that I think the few grains of sugar cover the taste completely.