Thread: Squirrel doesn’t want to get up

Default Squirrel doesn’t want to get up

Hello, I have about a 9 week round tailed rock squirrel who is seeming very lethargic. She just want to sleep and moves around slightly. When she moves around she keeps stretching. When i pick her up her eyes do not open other than occasionally when she walks around and she’s floppy. She’s pooping but has not eaten today. What should I do?

Default Re: Squirrel doesn’t want to get up

Quote Originally Posted by SASHA- View Post
    Hello, I have about a 9 week round tailed rock squirrel who is seeming very lethargic. She just want to sleep and moves around slightly. When she moves around she keeps stretching. When i pick her up her eyes do not open other than occasionally when she walks around and she’s floppy. She’s pooping but has not eaten today. What should I do?
    she also is very itchy

Default Re: Squirrel doesn’t want to get up

What is she fed? (Please list everything.)

How is she given water? A dish or a water bottle? If a dish, please describe the dish or include a picture.

Can you post a photo? (See the paper clip icon to attach a picture.)

The worst case scenario is aspiration pneumonia whose symptoms consist of the following: (This requires prompt treatment with antibiotics.)

Symptoms:
    1. Lethargic (inactive)
    2. Difficult/labored breathing or rapid breathing or slow breathing and/or open mouth breathing
    3. Rapid heartbeat
    4. Fever or Chills
    5. Pale, bluish to dark purple skin from a lack of oxygen (Look at lips and pads of feet)
    6. Nasal discharge
    7. Sweet or foul smelling breath
    8. Wheezing, crackling, or clicking sounds when inhaling and/or exhaling

Another possibility is Metabolic Bone Disorder which is induced by an improper diet for a captive squirrel, with a mineral imbalance occurring which can impede balance and ability to move.

A third possibility is that the squirrel ate something that disagrees with it or it might be constipated. Has she gotten into anything that she shouldn't? Has the diet been changed recently?

Any other information that you can provide would be helpful.

How long have you had the squirrel and how did you come to acquire it?

Sorry for all of the questions, but the more information we have, the better the chances that we promptly arrive at the proper diagnosis.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Tuff (05-26-2021)