Thread: DEAD MAMA SQUIRREL! SOUTHERN ONTARIO CANADA HELP

Default DEAD MAMA SQUIRREL! SOUTHERN ONTARIO CANADA HELP

Hi everyone! I'm not sure what to do! help! Im in Campbellville Ontario Canada. This morning a black mama squirrel was chased into traffic and died. I live in the country/small town(on the only super busy road with sshole speeders) and who knows where her nest is! Its a huge place and i guess they can come from far?(1) Does anyone know how to tell how old her babies are by looking at her stomach/teats? Or if she hasn't given birth yet? I also have RA and cant get around much but am going to search for sounds with my daughter. Tonight, tomorrow, the next few days. Im also desperately trying to be 'accepted' on a local town fb forum to post so others can listen/look before its too late! uggh Im freaking out here.. there also is another black mama squirrel who looks like shes had babies and is further along but she got hit by a car and doesnt have full use of her back right leg. She seems to be doing better the last few days but theres obviously something wrong. The 'city' does nothing but put them all down(if the hours waiting for them for pickup doesnt kill the animal first) I cant find many rehabbers so Im here for private help! (2)Any people around me? I would like to have someone else to contact when I need squirrel help. Im hoping there are some people locally that can guide me. I also have been leaving MANY nuts across the street so that they dont cross but I'm probably making it worse. If Im being honest, Ive had an issue during quarantine feeding the animals so some retraining needs to happen. (3) I was reading here that you won't see a mama for 2 weeks when she gives birth? Do all squirrels get pregnant? uggh I just dont know what to do.. i can't be 50 people and I cant wait to be accepted in the local facebook group! I also need to have connections in my general area. Im not proof reading sorry yall. Im going to post this now..times ticking and Im freaking! I cant stop crying! Thanks soo much for reading fellow squirrel lovers!

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to andrea:

Chirps (05-19-2021), Diggie's Friend (05-19-2021), Scooterzmom (05-20-2021)

Default Re: DEAD MAMA SQUIRREL! SOUTHERN ONTARIO CANADA HELP

If the squirrel had a litter they are extremely dependent on their mother for food and warmth. The younger they are the more so this is the case.

What you want to be listening for is for the sound of the little ones crying. Also, you want to be looking for the sight of tiny little squirrels smaller than you have ever seen. They only leave the nest when they are that small when they lose their mother, the go searching for food and water. Sometimes they fall out of their nest tree doing so. The male squirrel plays absolutely no role in raising the babies.

If a female is healthy and sexually mature and food abundant most females have a spring litter.

If the babies are found below is a six page guide for their care. It should be read carefully.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

The most important first step is to get the babies warm and hydrated. No attempt to feed them should occur until this has been achieved.

If the female with the rear leg injury is captured she could be given predisone which would help her regain use of her rear limbs.

You could put up flyers if you are unable to get onto the town's Facebook page.

Yes, if you are putting out lots of nuts this could lead squirrels who live on the other side of the road to cross the road. So, unintentionally, you might be doing more harm than good. Their natural instinct is to wait until the predator gets close then run a course 90 degrees from that in which the predator approaches. However, unfortunately, cars are often travelling much faster than any predator out there. They just don't understand cars.

So, you might consider stop putting out large quantities of nuts. Alternatively, you might ask a neighbor across the street if they would put some nuts out on their property, the farther from the road, the better.

Thanks soo much for the help! So far no sounds/noises but its still early. ugghh We've taken another look at her body prior to burial and her nipples are extremely small and the hair perfect(the genital area looks fine but i wouldnt know really)so i'm wondering if she's even had babies? or might be slightly pregnant at death? Across the street is just land, trees and a pond(past that train tracks and hills). Sadly on my side are all the nut trees and across is their only water supply so they go back and forth anywho. I cut down the squirrel traffic by sprinkling awesome foods all the way down every morning at 5amish and then again about 3pm(fruits veggies nuts in/out o shell). I also do a backyard perim because I dont want them all gathering in the same place fighting, spreading cootie or whatnot. I'm going broke but its worth it.
    ** Does anyone know where I can get a kit if I need to rehydrate and feed baby squirrels? I'm having a hard time finding in canada.

****** Before Im finished writing this, another mama squirrel killed by a car on my street! This one definitely has babies somewhere! Ive posted on our local facebook community board and will go listen. Its a 2 mile radius they travel but do mamas travel that far? ughh I dont know.. PLEASE does anyone know how old they might be at end of May? The hair around the nipples are not too messy or tangled but are enlarged a tad. Need to post this asap!!Thanks for reading and the assistance!! I feel so alone here..no one likes squirrels like I do and I have no help. Im soo sick I cant manage the distance and my tinnitus is super bad! Im scared I'll miss them! ugghh s$%#@show over here. Be well everyone! ooxoo

I realize that you have good intentions, but I think you are doing more harm than good by putting out so much food, given the number of squirrels that have been run over, especially if this is occurring right near your house. If a mother squirrels dies her babies will likely also die, starving to death or getting eaten by predators. I am sorry to be blunt. That is my personal opinion.

I live on a busy road and have shoveled way too many animals off the road.

If you put some of the food on the other side of the road the squirrels that live on the other side would not need to cross the road. If you aren't able to put food on both sides of the busy road, I don't think you should put out any food at all.

As to hydration, the best way to do that depends on the age of the dehydrated squirrel and how severe the dehydration is.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Mel1959 (05-25-2021)

If a squirrel crosses the road, there and back, once a day or twice a day, day after day, sooner or later its luck will likely run out and it will get run over.

You can feed the birds. They are usually pretty good at staying out of traffic.

yikess. guess I could have been long winded more so, filled in the blanks and got the help I needed. Not many of my questions were answered sadly. The point of feeding them across the street in a nice forest like setting was to PREVENT them from crossing so much and its WORKED! Since weve left food for them there have been less deaths but your right feeding them is bad. Cutting down food sources and not replacing them is worse, so is throwing hard objects at them for taking nuts off your property and poisoning them. Although I've watched all the local squirrels fighting over these 3 chestnut trees, they aren't even the main deaths here. We have painted/reg turtles, coyotes, foxes, chipmunks, red black grey squirrels, skunks, possums voles. Its a strip of 24 houses that are close together/close to the road and some are 100+ yrs old. We have an abundance of new traffic on our street from expansion and whenever there is an accident on the highway most cut through our town. Now since covid, everyone and their dog comes out to our area sightseeing biking canoeing etc.. Were STILL on a stay at home order too. I've made a formal complaint with the police due to the speeding, crossing center divide and passing. I moved my office to the front bay window 2nd floor and now can see everything that goes on ALL THE TIME down both sides of the road. My neighbors call me out when an animal is hit and I'm usually the only one assisting and following through. I am attempting to be part of the solution whilst living out here and my life revolves around, is consumed by wildlife. Thanks to those who were helpful! I appreciate it very much.