Thread: Need help with baby Squirrel and Esbilac formula !

Default Need help with baby Squirrel and Esbilac formula !

I have found a baby squirrel outside and weak all by himself on May 15th. No tree nearby. He was flea infested. I brought him home and got the flea off with some tape. I bought the Esbilac formula (1 part Esbilac and 2 parts water) and have been feeding him this for a bit now with a syringe. I have 2 problems... One is that I left the Esbilac powder out for a few days after opening it. It is okay to use? Or should I buy a whole new can? I didn't know to refrigerate after opening a powder.. I just put it in the refrigerator last night. Now...the second problem is... I think the Esbilac is not digesting. He did not poop unless I have him a little bit of warm apple juice mixed with pedialyte. Today is May 20th and he has not pooped at all since yesterday morning. I even gave him some apple juice this morning and he hasn't pooped. What should I do? Will yogurt or whipping cream help? If so, what brand/kind? The baby squirrel looks 4/5 weeks old. He just opened his eyes today as well and is very active and energetic. He looks very healthy even though he has not pooped. His belly is round, tiny bloat since he hasn't gone. Really not sure what to do. Do I skip feedings? I have been giving him warm water more often to hopefully help.

Default Re: Need help with baby Squirrel and Esbilac formula !

I believe the Esbilac will be okay as long as the lid was on it and it did not get too warm. Refrigerating (or freezing) is best practice.

Do not mix pedialyte with anything and do not give pedialyte for more than 24 hours.

Finally, it sometimes takes days for the first formula poop. Poop from mom's milk is dark, almost black. The formula poo will be more a golden color. It can take up to three days to see that first golden poop. Especially with kids in the shape you have described.

Mix the Esbilac up hours ahead using very hot water. We like to allow the Esbilac to sit for at least 4 hours before feeding. 8 hours (overnight) is even better. Personally I will mix it up and shake / stir vigorously and I leave it out for about an hour, shaking 3 - 4 different times before then placing in the fridge. This allows the powder to more fully dissolve allowing it to be digested much easier.

This 6 page primer on baby squirrel care is very helpful:
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

island rehabber (05-20-2021), Nancy in New York (05-20-2021), Rock Monkey (05-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    I believe the Esbilac will be okay as long as the lid was on it and it did not get too warm. Refrigerating (or freezing) is best practice.

Do not mix pedialyte with anything and do not give pedialyte for more than 24 hours.

Finally, it sometimes takes days for the first formula poop. Poop from mom's milk is dark, almost black. The formula poo will be more a golden color. It can take up to three days to see that first golden poop. Especially with kids in the shape you have described.

Mix the Esbilac up hours ahead using very hot water. We like to allow the Esbilac to sit for at least 4 hours before feeding. 8 hours (overnight) is even better. Personally I will mix it up and shake / stir vigorously and I leave it out for about an hour, shaking 3 - 4 different times before then placing in the fridge. This allows the powder to more fully dissolve allowing it to be digested much easier.

This 6 page primer on baby squirrel care is very helpful:
    https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Thank you so much! Also, why shouldn't pedialyte be given for more than 24 hours? I never give him much. Just added a few drops in with the apple juice. But I'mm definitely stop doing that now. I just want to see him poop soon before feeding again.
    Also, I heard that Esbilac shouldn't get too hot due to nutrients being lost?? I got this info from this video: https://youtu.be/7EpLSJuzQSs

I did not watch the entire video but will try to find the time to do so...

First, squirrels should be fed by weight and not age.. this is when I stopped watching. When I find time I will watch and make notes on things I disagree. I have attached a cheat sheet for feeding; feedings should be 5% - 7% of body weight per feeding.

The frequency of feeding is linked to the squirrels age.

Yes, "too hot" of water can damage the formula... like boiling hot will kill the probiotics. And never microwave formula... ditto on killing microbes and damaging nutrients. But "hot" water, as in straight "hot" out of the tap is okay (assuming your water heater is set to something like 180 F).

Pedialyte is full of salts and minerals. Giving over an extended period of time can result in an overload of salts. Too much salt can cause lots of different problems...If a baby remains dehydrated after 24 hours of pedialyte, we suggest switching to just plain water to prevent an overload of salts. Adding pedialyte to apple juice *probably* is not a problem, but to keep things simple my mantra is don't add pedialyte to anything: Especially formula (says right on most cans, do not mix with pedialyte!).

Also, I should mention that the Esbilac can be stored in the fridge after mixing about 2 days.

Name:  FormulaFeedingChart.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  63.7 KB
    Last edited by Spanky; 05-20-2021 at 09:46 AM.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Spanky from:

Rock Monkey (05-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Sam21 View Post
    I got this info from this video: https://youtu.be/7EpLSJuzQSs
    Ok, could not move one with my day without watching the entire video. Here are my comments (corrections?):

1) Don't use "towels" as bedding. The "loops" in most towels will catch in their nails and have frequently caused injury. Fleece or flannel are better choices for bedding.

2) Heat. Babies need to be on heat until their eyes are open, not just until they are furred. Heat should be via a no-shut off heating pad set on low, under (on the outside) of the bin... under only 1/2 the bin. This allows the babies to crawl off the heat if they get too warm. They will also stop staying on the heated side when it is no longer needed, that's when you can remove the heat.

3) Pottying. Babies should be stimulated to pee and poop at least until their eyes open (5 weeks). He said until they are 2 - 3 weeks old, but that is too young to stop the stimulating in my experience.

4) As he said, boiling water will damage the formula.. so I don't know why he used the microwave to boil the water he used for mixing up the formula.

5) Formula heating. Do not use a microwave to heat the formula... the microwaves will kill off the probiotics. Use a dish / cup of warm water (that can be warmed in the microwave if needed) and "bathe" the formula in the warm water to warm it up. My "hot" tap water does the trick for me. Most of us use syringes with nipples and simply place the syringe with the nipple into a cup of hot water to warm formula.

6) Always discard any formula that was heated for feeding but not used. Period.

7) Straining the formula? I never heard of this and I am not sure I am a fan. I use a shaker bottle... the ones with the "spring ball" inside. Works great following the guidance I mentioned above.

8) Releasing. Just to be clear, squirrels require a soft release (all kinds of info on the board about soft releasing). They should never be hard-released, which is basically taking them outdoors and leaving them. With some wild animals this is appropriate, but not squirrels! The chances for survival of a squirrel that is hard-released decreasing exponentially versus a proper soft release.

Now I can move on with my day!

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Nancy in New York (05-20-2021), Rock Monkey (05-20-2021)

Spanky has given you tons of great information. Read it twice, three times.

There is a lot to learn where raising babies squirrels is concerned.

Here is another, better video that you might watch from an experienced rehabber about feeding technique and how to prevent aspiration which is a critical, deadly danger with baby squirrels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc

Red face Re: Need help with baby Squirrel and Esbilac formula !

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    Ok, could not move one with my day without watching the entire video. Here are my comments (corrections?):

1) Don't use "towels" as bedding. The "loops" in most towels will catch in their nails and have frequently caused injury. Fleece or flannel are better choices for bedding.

2) Heat. Babies need to be on heat until their eyes are open, not just until they are furred. Heat should be via a no-shut off heating pad set on low, under (on the outside) of the bin... under only 1/2 the bin. This allows the babies to crawl off the heat if they get too warm. They will also stop staying on the heated side when it is no longer needed, that's when you can remove the heat.

3) Pottying. Babies should be stimulated to pee and poop at least until their eyes open (5 weeks). He said until they are 2 - 3 weeks old, but that is too young to stop the stimulating in my experience.

4) As he said, boiling water will damage the formula.. so I don't know why he used the microwave to boil the water he used for mixing up the formula.

5) Formula heating. Do not use a microwave to heat the formula... the microwaves will kill off the probiotics. Use a dish / cup of warm water (that can be warmed in the microwave if needed) and "bathe" the formula in the warm water to warm it up. My "hot" tap water does the trick for me. Most of us use syringes with nipples and simply place the syringe with the nipple into a cup of hot water to warm formula.

6) Always discard any formula that was heated for feeding but not used. Period.

7) Straining the formula? I never heard of this and I am not sure I am a fan. I use a shaker bottle... the ones with the "spring ball" inside. Works great following the guidance I mentioned above.

8) Releasing. Just to be clear, squirrels require a soft release (all kinds of info on the board about soft releasing). They should never be hard-released, which is basically taking them outdoors and leaving them. With some wild animals this is appropriate, but not squirrels! The chances for survival of a squirrel that is hard-released decreasing exponentially versus a proper soft release.

Now I can move on with my day!

Thank you You have helped a lot. And my baby squirrel just pooped quite a bit now! Gave him some water and then some formula. I just ordered Fox Valley formula too. I heard that they digest this formula better ? I really do think with the Esbilac he has a little trouble digesting it. He poops once a day, not after every feeding. I do stimulate him. He pees a lot after I stimulate so he definitely has plenty of fluids haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam21 View Post
    Thank you You have helped a lot. And my baby squirrel just pooped quite a bit now! Gave him some water and then some formula. I just ordered Fox Valley formula too. I heard that they digest this formula better ? I really do think with the Esbilac he has a little trouble digesting it. He poops once a day, not after every feeding. I do stimulate him. He pees a lot after I stimulate so he definitely has plenty of fluids haha.

You are welcome.

The Fox Valley 20/50 does tend to be more easily digested (the 32/40 not so much). I often use a half Fox Valley 20/50 and half Esbilac mix for baby squirrels.