Thread: Broken arm wild squirrel 🐿

Unhappy Broken arm wild squirrel 🐿

There’s a wild squirrel that came to get a snack and a drink. He wasn’t using his right arm at all. It’s just dangling and looks really bad. Is there anything I can do to help? It looks like the bone is snapped.

Name:  5CC40DB5-8215-4DCE-A054-A4031D307FCF.jpg
Views: 212
Size:  86.2 KB

https://streamable.com/oz7fi6

Default Re: Broken arm wild squirrel 🐿

If it is a broken bone, it should heal in approximately 3 weeks, so long as the bones have reasonable contact. If that is the case feeding it and providing clean water will reduce the amount of time it spends searching for food and thus reduce its vulnerability.

It is hard to tell the condition of the injury from this photograph. If you could provide a better viewpoint, that would be helpful.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

acorm (05-19-2021)

Thank you! I don't think he seems easy to catch. So I'm just sending him healing thoughts and prayers.

https://streamable.com/oz7fi6

https://streamable.com/x6sych

Name:  Screen Shot 2021-05-19 at 9.44.01 AM.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  111.0 KB

It doesn't look like a compound fracture. While the break is healing they will refrain from weighting the arm so as not to set back the healing process. Any inflammation of the arm also serves to further immobilize the bones.

If after four weeks the squirrel still isn't starting to use the arm that suggests there are more profound problems.

Wild squirrels don't like being captive. There is a good chance that it might hurt itself trying to get free.

Also, most people vastly underestimate the burdens of taking care of a squirrel. Given the information provided, I believe that trying to capture the squirrel would entail more risks than rewards.

Furthermore, if you try to capture it and fail you may become a predator in its eyes and it may stop coming around for food and water. These two supplements will help it substantially through this injury. You might try putting out some pieces of paper towel or napkins. If it takes these to its nests this will mean that it will stay warmer at night and thus need fewer calories to stay warm.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

acorm (05-19-2021)

In the video the squirrel refrains from weighting the arm, but the hand isn't totally useless, even its current condition. When it gets the nut it uses the arm lightly to brace the nut and compensates by pinning the nut against the ground as it chews into.

If it seems to be having difficulty chewing into the nut you might lightly crack it in a vice or a pair of adjustable pliers.

Am I correct in guessing that those are English walnuts?

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

acorm (05-19-2021)

Question Re: Broken arm wild squirrel 🐿

Rock Monkey!! -- I really like how you explain things. I did my PhD in Comp Sci and work as a software engineer... I think you gave one of the most thoughtful, easy to follow assessments. That's all to say a big THANK YOU, and that you are speaking my language

I'll let everyone know how he's doing. I've named him Cheekers. In the past, he has had a swollen cheek (seems to be a little accident prone, that one).

Regarding traumatizing a squirrel, his (i think) brother (I named Apple) got into my house once and I had to chase Apple out. Ever since then, Apple does not come near here if he can avoid it, but I still see him around. He will get a walnut from me if there isn't anything else to snack on. My big question is, do squirrels hold a grudge forever or do they eventually forget?

I can give him lightly cracked ones. These are english walnuts, i believe. I get them here: https://www.anuts.com/nuts/walnuts/w...-shell-per-lb/

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    In the video the squirrel refrains from weighting the arm, but the hand isn't totally useless, even its current condition. When it gets the nut it uses the arm lightly to brace the nut and compensates by pinning the nut against the ground as it chews into.

If it seems to be having difficulty chewing into the nut you might lightly crack it in a vice or a pair of adjustable pliers.

Am I correct in guessing that those are English walnuts?

Quote Originally Posted by acorm View Post
    Rock Monkey!! -- I really like how you explain things. I did my PhD in Comp Sci and work as a software engineer... I think you gave one of the most thoughtful, easy to follow assessments. That's all to say a big THANK YOU, and that you are speaking my language

I'll let everyone know how he's doing. I've named him Cheekers. In the past, he has had a swollen cheek (seems to be a little accident prone, that one).

Regarding traumatizing a squirrel, his (i think) brother (I named Apple) got into my house once and I had to chase Apple out. Ever since then, Apple does not come near here if he can avoid it, but I still see him around. He will get a walnut from me if there isn't anything else to snack on. My big question is, do squirrels hold a grudge forever or do they eventually forget?
    Umm. Yes, they have very good memories. They are very emotionally sensitive. It is always safer for them to assume that something or somebody is dangerous if there is any doubt. (That is one mistake they often don't get to make twice.) They are extremely vigilant observers of their environment, their senses remain active even when they are asleep. They have lightening fast reaction times.

Don't stare at them. Look indirectly and then look away, almost as if you are somewhat indifferent. If anyone closes distance, it should be them that makes that choice. Talking to them calmly in a friendly way will help win some trust. Violent noises or actions will startle them, even if these are not directed at them. (Sneezes freak them out, for example.) I always mimic the noise that might startle them, before making the noise. This way they will realize what to expect before it happens and will be less likely to startle.

One has to be patient with them.

I had a squirrel that broke her arm. I confined her to one room and put up ramps and bridges (with pieces of wood and plywood) so that she wouldn't have to jump between objects. She immediately began using these ramps.

Chasing Apple kind of put you in the predator category. If this occurs again leave a door or window open and move calmly. They will likely let themselves out once they get their bearings. You could put treats outside to draw them out.

They can be impulsive and when you combine this with the lightening fast speed at which they move, accidents sometimes occur. They are sort of wired to be risk takers, leaping from limbs 30 + feet above the ground.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Tuff (05-20-2021)