Thread: Hand-raised squirrel that I'm reintroducing to the wild came back home with injuries

Default Hand-raised squirrel that I'm reintroducing to the wild came back home with injuries

I rescued two baby Indian Palm squirrels who were abandoned outside my house in November 2020. At the end of March, I began the process of soft release and started to give them access to the outdoors.

Initially they both used to spend the day outdoors and come home in the evening. However since last week, the dominant one, has now stopped coming back home after a week of coming home on alternate days to sleep for the night. The timid and slightly smaller one (probably female imo) still comes home every evening but yesterday she came back with wounds/bruises.

The only reason I noticed the wounds was because she woke up an hour later than usual in the morning when I open the access window for her and provide her food. And surprisingly after consuming the food she didn't leave as per usual but instead chose to rest. Yesterday, I only noticed a small bruise on the side of her belly but when she didn't leave in the morning today as well, I paid more attention and found a wound on her back as well.

This is an image that I managed to click of the wound on her back https://imgur.com/a/szpVTIL. The side of her belly where her hair are ruffled is where I had found the bruises initially yesterday. She had probably groomed her hair in the wounded area today which is why this bigger wound was visible.

Name:  IMG_20210516_113615.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  131.9 KB

There are other squirrels in the area who I've seen chasing squirrels around but I always thought it was playful behavior and not serious since this species isn't known to be highly territorial. Is there any antibiotic or medicine I should provide her or should I let her rest/heal on her own? There's a lockdown where I live and no vets in this region have much knowledge about caring for squirrels hence this forumis probably my best bet to get her help.

Default Re: Hand-raised squirrel that I'm reintroducing to the wild came back home with injur

Aw, she isn't quite ready to leave yet anyway it sounds like. What a sweetie. You can dab a small bit of antibiotic cream or ointment - whatever you would put on a child that has a skinned knee or other small injury. Watch them closely - if they are actually deep puncture wounds they can form abscesses. Hopefully being safe at home and resting will take care of everything.

Default Re: Hand-raised squirrel that I'm reintroducing to the wild came back home with injur

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Aw, she isn't quite ready to leave yet anyway it sounds like. What a sweetie. You can dab a small bit of antibiotic cream or ointment - whatever you would put on a child that has a skinned knee or other small injury. Watch them closely - if they are actually deep puncture wounds they can form abscesses. Hopefully being safe at home and resting will take care of everything.
    Thank you for taking the time out for a response. I applied a little Neosporin to her wound yesterday and the wound had dried out quite a bit. She was much more active yesterday and woke up on time today morning as well.

She really wanted to go out after having her food in the morning today (she tends to stand on the window with her two front legs to push it open when wanting to go out), so I let her out. Initially she was a little jumpy out in the garden and kept running back to the ledge near the window but afterwards she climbed a tree and went exploring in the wooded area next to it. Hopefully the 3 days of rest and recovery were enough.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LuvKush from:

Rock Monkey (05-18-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Just wanted to update with some good news. She completely recovered and gave birth to 4 babies in her nest in my room house last month. I believe she may have gotten the bite during a mating ritual or something of the sort. Again, thank you for the help.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to LuvKush from:

Rock Monkey (08-05-2021)

That is amazing! I am glad she came home to her mama!

Congratulations, Grandma!
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/