Thread: New to Squirrels, New to feeding and Question about behaviors.

Default New to Squirrels, New to feeding and Question about behaviors.

My squirrel addiction started when I looked out my window to see a small gray squirrel sitting on the driveway eating one of those whirlygig things off of a maple tree. I decided to order him some food to put out there for him. He showed back up the next morning to eat and "Charlie" melted my heart with those cute little paws holding a walnut eating away.

A day or two later, "George" a big pudgy gray showed up and ate too. He quickly won my heart too. Then along came "Sammie" and "The Twins" who always arrived together and left together.

I have been reading and researching every thing I can find about Eastern Gray Squirrels to find out what to feed so that they have a balanced diet. I'm going to try to make homemade blocks and boo balls that I read her on the forum.

But I have a question about why they won't eat or even go near certain things. I had read that butternut squash was good for them so I bought one and cut it up into chunks that would fit comfortably in their paws. I tried it both with the peel and peeled. They wouldn't touch it. I assume that they didn't like the new smell suddenly mixed in their food. Last night I tried fresh strawberries and watermelon thinking they would like a sweet treat. This time I kept them in a separate pile over to the side so they could get to the nut/seed mix if they didn't want the fruit. Nope.. none of them would touch it.

In fact, George, the big one, acted as if he was scared of the berries/melon. He would flatten down close to the ground, slink up to the nut/seed pile, flick his tail wildly then leave. He wouldn't even eat anything at all, leaving behind his favorite hazelnuts which I put out just for him. He wouldn't eat last night, this morning or tonight even though I cleaned up all of the fruit and threw it away. Is it normal for them to freak out at a new smell like that without even tasting it?

I'm concerned about making a big batch of blocks or balls then them being afraid to even taste it, or worse yet, stop showing up. They are the highlight of my day morning and evening. I'll do anything to make sure they are happy.

Any advice for a new wild squirrel mom?

Default Re: New to Squirrels, New to feeding and Question about behaviors.

Hello, I too have many wilds who visit my yard daily. Other than nuts, mine like fresh coconut chunks and avocado. It’s so hit or miss with them. But I realized they will always choose the nuts first. They have stolen my heart as well. Good luck and enjoy your new friends.

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Maria C from:

Bushytailed68 (06-26-2021)

Default Re: New to Squirrels, New to feeding and Question about behaviors.

I tried Banana tonight but he was not interested he picked the nut. I will try Avocado tomorrow.
    WILDLIFE LOVER & FRIEND KatKat

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Katkat from:

Bushytailed68 (06-26-2021)