Thread: Baby squirrel with diarrhea - need some recommendations

Exclamation Baby squirrel with diarrhea - need some recommendations

I have 3 orphaned babies right now (California ground squirrels). They are likely not from the same nest. They weigh in at 43g, 67g and 95g. All have eyes open and are completely covered with fur. I am guessing them to be about 3 weeks (smallest one) and 4 to 5 weeks (too larger ones).

The little one was being taunted by a cat (tossed around) which I interrupted. The baby had a very small cut on her head (barely bigger than a needle point) but no other visible injuries. I brought her in, warmed her and did hourly feedings of pedialyte for the first 3 feedings. She seemed to bounce back and was pretty alert and responding to feedings. She is mobile and everything seems to work fine. One day 2, I noticed her starting to push away the nipple early (she had been taking formula feedings of about .75 to 1 ml before stopping and falling asleep while nursing. She was now pushing it away at less than .5 ml. I checked her skin and she seemed to be a little dehydrated so I followed the Henry's guideline and did electrolyte feedings between formula feedings.

Feed is: Formula - Fox Valley 20/50 and after using pedialyte on day one for everyone, I switched to Fox Valley Electrostat for Day 2 for the little one.

My Fox Valley Electrostat has an expiration date of 9/21 but I opened it over a year ago (last season). It's bee stored in my freezer. Is there a chance my electrolytes are bad for any reason. My formula is the same. Nowhere near expiration date but it's a bag that was previously opened and stored in freezer.

So yesterday the baby was really not interested in feedings beyond a few drops and then would just push the nipple away. I was able to - drop by drop - get feedings of at least .5 ml in her every 2 hours, alternating between formula and electrolytes. Last night she had greyish poops and this morning it's the same color but is greyish diarrhea.

Is she over hydrated, under hydrated? Are my formula/electrolytes bad (the other 2 bigger squirrels are doing great - feisty and eating like champs). It's hard to do the skin pinch test because she is so thin she has alot of excess skin.

One hour ago she had .5ml formula and is now resting with her buddies. I am not sure what to offer her next. I know the diarrhea will dehydrate her. Do I just do electrolytes? I am worried she is so thin and needs more nutrients than she is getting.

Default Re: Baby squirrel with diarrhea - need some recommendations

She is definitely not eating enough. If she is dehydrated, feeding is counterproductive since a severely dehydrated squirrel cannot digest formula.

If she was caught by a cat, she should be treated with antibiotics since cats can infect a squirrel with bacteria from their mouths and claws that can kill a squirrel quickly.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? Baytril (animal), Cipro (human), Clavamox (animal), Augmentin (human) are just some of the more common antibiotics that can be used to treat a cat caught baby.

If you have something else, post what you have and someone will advise if it is suitable.

If you don't have anything, ask family, friends and neighbors... you will need only 1 pill.

Thank you! I have amoxicillin (500mg). I didn't see any punctures from the cat but can certainly administer antibiotics if needed. I'll just need the dosing for Amoxi.

I did do just electrolytes for the first few feedings and she had normal poops, but the Henry's guide said that after that you need to get nutrients in. She was perky and responsive at that point. She still has decent energy and appears strong, she just shoves the nipple away (for both electrolytes and formula) so I would love some tips on how to get her to eat more. I know she is eating a fraction of what she ought to be.

If she does have an infection from the cat somehow, I suppose that could be making her feel bad and push away food.

Can I mix the antibiotics in with electrolytes?

Quote Originally Posted by Spanky View Post
    She is definitely not eating enough. If she is dehydrated, feeding is counterproductive since a severely dehydrated squirrel cannot digest formula.

If she was caught by a cat, she should be treated with antibiotics since cats can infect a squirrel with bacteria from their mouths and claws that can kill a squirrel quickly.

Do you have any antibiotics on hand? Baytril (animal), Cipro (human), Clavamox (animal), Augmentin (human) are just some of the more common antibiotics that can be used to treat a cat caught baby.

If you have something else, post what you have and someone will advise if it is suitable.

If you don't have anything, ask family, friends and neighbors... you will need only 1 pill.

Afternoon update: She took 1.5 ml of FV Electrolytes at her 4pm feeding and had a solid poop. Still off in color. But not pure grey. Now a grey/green with the slightest hint of very light brown. Encouraged that maybe she is moving in the right direction.

Quote Originally Posted by Jilla08 View Post
    Thank you! I have amoxicillin (500mg). I didn't see any punctures from the cat but can certainly administer antibiotics if needed. I'll just need the dosing for Amoxi.

I did do just electrolytes for the first few feedings and she had normal poops, but the Henry's guide said that after that you need to get nutrients in. She was perky and responsive at that point. She still has decent energy and appears strong, she just shoves the nipple away (for both electrolytes and formula) so I would love some tips on how to get her to eat more. I know she is eating a fraction of what she ought to be.

If she does have an infection from the cat somehow, I suppose that could be making her feel bad and push away food.

Can I mix the antibiotics in with electrolytes?

Sending Amoxicillin dosing in a PM. This is not the best treatment for cat attacks, but it is better than nothing, If you find other antibiotics, let us know and someone will advise if that is better than the Amoxicillin.