Thread: Help needed! Chipmunk injured from Cat attack.

Exclamation Help needed! Chipmunk injured from Cat attack.

Hi All,

Brand new here. My cat has injured a chipmunk and I’m trying desperately to save it. I have no help. If anyone knows of a person in my area that would be willing to help PLEASE let me know. I live down the shore/south Jersey/Point Pleasant NJ.

I found him around 6pm last night. He has puncture wounds in his abdominal area. I put him in a box with t-shirts to keep him warm. I spoke to one person that was willing to help me over the phone. I did what he suggested. I put Triple A Antibiotic cream on the wounds. I managed to get some Ciproflaxin in him. I have since cleaned the wound again and gave more antibiotics. He is moving a little bit more this evening and will respond to noise or the lights being on (opening the box to treat him). Is there anything else I should be doing?? I don’t know if I’m dosing him correctly and don’t want to OD him on antibiotics but I know he needs them or he will die. If anyone has a number for someone that would help please reach out. I will drive as well to get him help.

Thank you all,
    Dana

Default Re: Help needed! Chipmunk injured from Cat attack.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana1127 View Post
    Hi All,

Brand new here. My cat has injured a chipmunk and I’m trying desperately to save it. I have no help. If anyone knows of a person in my area that would be willing to help PLEASE let me know. I live down the shore/south Jersey/Point Pleasant NJ.

I found him around 6pm last night. He has puncture wounds in his abdominal area. I put him in a box with t-shirts to keep him warm. I spoke to one person that was willing to help me over the phone. I did what he suggested. I put Triple A Antibiotic cream on the wounds. I managed to get some Ciproflaxin in him. I have since cleaned the wound again and gave more antibiotics. He is moving a little bit more this evening and will respond to noise or the lights being on (opening the box to treat him). Is there anything else I should be doing?? I don’t know if I’m dosing him correctly and don’t want to OD him on antibiotics but I know he needs them or he will die. If anyone has a number for someone that would help please reach out. I will drive as well to get him help. Thank you all, Dana
    How was he dosed?
    Meds need to be properly diluted to the correct milligrams and then dosed by body weight.
    You could also give liquid infant Ibuprofen to address any pain.
    Offer water as he will need to stay hydrated, food as he will need nourishment.
    Provide some fleece or other material (no towels) so he can snuggle down in to feel safe.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Dana1127 (05-11-2021)

Exclamation Re: Help needed! Chipmunk injured from Cat attack.

I shaved a little off a 500mg Cipro (that’s all I had) and mixed with about 1ml water (about a quarter of my child’s Tylenol syringe). I was shooting for less than 10mg Cipro but it’s hard to tell if I did a good job. I was concerned I didn’t give him enough water with the antibiotics. But I couldn’t get him to drink any more. I put some nuts and dried fruit with him but he’s not touching it. I’m keeping him warm. He’s not doing too well this morning. I’d be surprised if he makes it today. Should I try to get him to drink some pedialtye? Aside from infection, is dehydration the biggest concern?

If you can give us his weight we can give you accurate directions to dilute and dose your cipro.

Exclamation Re: Help needed! Chipmunk injured from Cat attack.

I shaved a little off a 500mg Cipro (that’s all I had) and mixed with about 1ml water (about a quarter of my child’s Tylenol syringe). I was shooting for less than 10mg Cipro but it’s hard to tell if I did a good job. I was concerned I didn’t give him enough water with the antibiotics. But I couldn’t get him to drink any more. I put some nuts and dried fruit with him but he’s not touching it. I’m keeping him warm. He’s not doing too well this morning. I’d be surprised if he makes it today. Should I try to get him to drink some pedialtye? Aside from infection, is dehydration the biggest concern?

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    If you can give us his weight we can give you accurate directions to dilute and dose your cipro.
    Trying to upload a picture. Let me see if I can find a scale. He’s tiny

Does anyone know how much infant Tylenol I can offer him without doing him more harm?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Dana1127; 05-11-2021 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Additional question

That is probably a ~50g animal? I don't have access to my dosing tables right now but someone else might be able to help or I will send you directions later this afternoon.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Check PM, dosing sent. I dosed this for a 65g animal.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Dana1127 (05-11-2021)

I sent the correct dilution and dosing for Cipro to your private messages...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Dana1127 (05-11-2021)