Thread: injured squirrel

Default injured squirrel

found a squirrel that was hit by a car, it was still alive (but it didnt seem like for long) so I tried to move it over to the tree edge so it could just die in peace. when I tried to move it it grabbed the branch, got it to the wooded edge and it kept trying to walk and head back toward the street, so I put it in a box and brought it with me (thinking it would be alive much longer but at least not run over again) that was 7 hours ago! His breathing has got much better and hes not bleeding anymore but its clear he has a neurological injury because he just walks in circles. I am trying to reach out to rehabs but should I not get any where- any suggestions on care other than keep warm and hydrated (he is not a baby but I also dont think hes a full grown adult)

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to toots2015 from:

Buddy (05-11-2021)

Default Re: injured squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by toots2015 View Post
    found a squirrel that was hit by a car, it was still alive (but it didnt seem like for long) so I tried to move it over to the tree edge so it could just die in peace. when I tried to move it it grabbed the branch, got it to the wooded edge and it kept trying to walk and head back toward the street, so I put it in a box and brought it with me (thinking it would be alive much longer but at least not run over again) that was 7 hours ago! His breathing has got much better and hes not bleeding anymore but its clear he has a neurological injury because he just walks in circles. I am trying to reach out to rehabs but should I not get any where- any suggestions on care other than keep warm and hydrated (he is not a baby but I also dont think hes a full grown adult)
    Warm, hydrated and a bit confined so he don't further hurt himself is good. Head traumas really need to be
    medicated for their best chance of injury to heal minimizing perm disability. Reducing pain and inflammation
    is what's really needed. Administering Prednisone would be on the top of my list with an added pain med.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Buddy (05-11-2021)