Thread: New admit malnourished, diarrhea

Default New admit malnourished, diarrhea

I just admitted a Eastern grey squirrel 134 grams, about 5-6 weeks old bushy tail, from certain death in the road, hes malnourished and he must have been alone for awhile he has bruising on his pee pee. He has horrible diarrhea probably from eating bad stuff outside. I haven’t even started him on formula yet, whats the ideal course of action hear, whats preferred to treat diarrhea, pedialyte, probiotics? Anything else to help! Want to get him started right! Thank you!!

Default Re: New admit malnourished, diarrhea

Please help this guy is suffering with diarrhea I haven’t started him on anything but pedialyte and probiotics he is new admit! His tummy hurts I could really use advice!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lisasquirrel View Post
    Please help this guy is suffering with diarrhea I haven’t started him on anything but pedialyte and probiotics he is new admit! His tummy hurts I could really use advice!!
    First thing is what color is the diarrhea? Could you provide a picture of the diarrhea?

Oh thank you! The diar is darker and very mucus let me figure out how to provide a picture Name:  image.jpg
Views: 53
Size:  101.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  101.6 KBName:  image.jpg
Size:  101.6 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 55
Size:  80.2 KB

Its been 24 hours since diarrhea and I haven’t even started formula for fear of worsening it, I really need some solid advice any medication I can try? And should I still try to start formula?

Are you not giving any formula? Maybe diluted with water? What kind of pedialyte? I believe it's not advised to give store bought pedialyte for more than 24 hours.

I think you should try the correct formula and see if that helps? Keeps offering warm water with a few drops of honey and keep the baby warm. They won't eat and get better if they are not warm.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...25#post1330725
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

If there are any scars or bruising... you can try putting betadine on it. Dilute about 25 drops of betadine in 1/4 -1/2 cup of warm water and apply it to the area a couple of times a day. No need to rinse it just let it air dry. It doesn’t dry with any residue. Betadine is anti-fungal and anti-bacterial.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Yeah I haven’t started formula yet for fear of making diarrhea worse it just seemed counterintuitive to start it, I just never gotten a squirrel who develops diar before I even do anything my only thought was he was eating crap outside he had diar all around his bumb when I brought him in and when I started hydrating him its when the flood gates opened, its awful! So you think I should slowly start the formula now? Even if its no better I just think theres got to be some kind of medication to help this guys horrible loose stool

Hydration is good - stop the pedialyte after 24 hours and replace with plain water or water with a bit of sugar or honey. I would also cautiously proceed with formula feeding - what are you using? I would start with a diluted formula first just to see how it goes.

I would also give this baby .25cc of regular old pink Pepto Bismol. It will turn the stool black so don't be alarmed when you see that - it is just telling you that the first dose has gone all the way through. If pepto is going to help it usually does within 24 hours. I usually wait until I see the color change, determine how long that was from when I gave him the dose, and use that as the length of time between doses.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Buddy (05-09-2021)

Thank you CritterMom! Lisa, make sure you measure all medication carefully. Keep the baby warm.

The water or formula you offer should be warm too.

Hopefully he/she will show signs of getting better soon!

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Tuff (05-09-2021)

My vet recommended TMS to treat Coccidia, I have never seen anything this bad before, never in my 6 years of rehabbing squirrels I just repeated my second dose. My laundry machine may just crap the bed I have been doing poopy laundry all day. I HATE SEEING ANIMALS SUFFER. I have never not been able to control diarrhea before with fluids and probiotics it works every time. I don’t understand what else it could even be anything that touches his mouth gives him diarrhea I had to start dilute formula and that’s definitely going right through him It even looks whitish in his mucus poop. Praying to god he gets better on the TMS I am at my wits end right now!

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Lisasquirrel from:

Buddy (05-09-2021)

Sorry Lisa, I didn't know you were an experienced squirrel rehabber.

They talk about Coccidia in this document, if it's any helpful.

https://32687c2a-68ac-4a34-800a-9701...pdf?index=true

I have that same book! Its so worn now I have always used it, anyway I only had TMS on hand going to switch to albon tomorrow, I really feel its the stress from being captured and his life turned upside down his coccidia got really bad thats the only other thing I can think to cause this diarrhea. So crazy story was I found him! I was driving to get my mom a mother’s day plant and he ran into the road someone drove over him! Unharmed but ran into someones driveway crying for mom and into someones tire wheel. I went and grabbed him no nest in site, thin, bruised pee pee, probably without mom for awhile so talk about stress! If he doesn’t make it my heart will break he was so lucky to have a rehabber driving by at that exact moment!

19. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lisasquirrel:

Buddy (05-10-2021), Chirps (05-09-2021), Tuff (05-09-2021)

Wow!! Poor little thing! I hope he can make it!! We're praying for you little one!

I wanted to update you on my squirrel boy, he had one of the worst coccidia infections I have ever seen on a fecal smear, graded from 1-4 he was 4+eggs. So immediately started him on Albon that was Monday. His poops have changed from diarrhea to soft stools, sometimes he will have large piles sometimes small soft poops that look almost normal. I never put him back on formula as I just don’t think his body would tolerate it at this point. Hes on a strict diet of rodent block and dilute honey water to keep his fluids up every few hours. He has stopped vomiting! Today he did his first zoomie in his cage and my heart melted. His initial weight was 134 grams and today hes a whopping 170 grams! I have worked around the clock to keep him alive and I am praying he will make it. My vet said they could die if the infection is bad enough their intestines start to become necrotic. So I keep a diary on everything I do and will probably treat older squirrels with diar with Albon right away if they present that way again! I am posting a couple pictures of the microscope slide, you can see the small oval eggs!
    Attached Images Attached Images    

22. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Lisasquirrel:

Buddy (05-12-2021), Chirps (05-12-2021), KCullen (08-16-2021)

Such a cutie pie!! So lucky that you found him!

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Chirps (05-12-2021)