Thread: Did my neighbor kill my squirrels?

Unhappy Did my neighbor kill my squirrels?

So my neighbor and I got into a fight the other day. She complained about my squirrels I have cared for, started to complain that the squirrels bury nuts in her yard and her breaking all her lights and basically told me how her dog chokes on them and it’s my fault, and that if her dog dies it’ll be on me.

The following day I actually found a squirrel that was dead in my backyard I don’t know if it fell from the tree because we had bad storms that night, but that morning I found it on the ground dead.. still wet so must have happened died overnight, my guess, it did have a bite mark but not a big puncture wound from what I could tell.. so I don’t think it I could’ve bled to death so I’m really confused how this happened.

The next day and the day after that I have found no squirrels at all in my backyard like they’re not around here at all... so I’m really worried if she’s doing something to the squirrels i’m not sure if she has a certain noise machine that makes the squirrels not come near our area? Or are they really all gone because it’s mating season? I’m really stumped on answers is why the squirrels are not coming in my backyard anymore.. she’s an older lady I want to say in her 50s so I don’t think she would stoop to such levels but what else can explain the squirrels not coming around all the sudden? So i’m asking for advice if you have any possible reasons as to why this could be happening? I live in a more city area and there isn’t any wild animals that come into my backyard really. But even throughout the day I have this big window I always look out to check on the squirrels and I just haven’t seen any. So I am stumped!

Appreciate and advance for your comments and help

xxx
    Olivia

Default Re: Did my neighbor kill my squirrels?

The squirrel with bite could have bled internally, strange timing, but hoping a coincidence. Also, maybe while sleeping it was tossed from nest during the weather and got injured? As far as not seeing them, I'm always noticing the very same thing. One week, I see our regulars every day, then I can go a week and they are nowhere to to seen, I just don't get it. I also I noticed when the warmth hit, that ALL the squirrels seemed to be in our yard for several days courting each other, for a week then it was back to just sporadic sightings. I also wonder if they rotate yards to throw off predators that might get used to their routines? I wouldn't worry too much yet. Not sure about sound machines.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to sundoesshine:

KCullen (05-13-2021), Squirrel_lover_24 (05-08-2021)

There are sonic devices to repel rodents, usually they have multiple settings for volume. Much of the sound they produce is out of the range of human hearing but on the louder setting and in close proximity to the device you can definitely hear it.

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

KCullen (05-13-2021), Squirrel_lover_24 (05-08-2021), sundoesshine (05-10-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by sundoesshine View Post
    The squirrel with bite could have bled internally, strange timing, but hoping a coincidence. Also, maybe while sleeping it was tossed from nest during the weather and got injured? As far as not seeing them, I'm always noticing the very same thing. One week, I see our regulars every day, then I can go a week and they are nowhere to to seen, I just don't get it. I also I noticed when the warmth hit, that ALL the squirrels seemed to be in our yard for several days courting each other, for a week then it was back to just sporadic sightings. I also wonder if they rotate yards to throw off predators that might get used to their routines? I wouldn't worry too much yet. Not sure about sound machines.

Well I know when my other squirrel died. They also disappeared which I wasn’t sure if it was out of respect for the mourning or what. But she got hit by a car not predator. But it very well could be, although ground predators are never out during the day. Since I am outside a lot and also bring my cats out with me but they never attack the squirrels. Plus the squirrels and my cats get along like there is an understanding between them. So unless they got disturbed when they slept I could see that. Also there is not currently any nests in my big tree except for my wooden nesting boxes I have for them but you can’t really fall out of those. So ya I am confused. Could have had no room in the besting box so it slept outside for some weird reason and then fell off because of the winds. Whenever there is bad storms I always worry about this happening

Thanks for the help tho!

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirrel_lover_24 from:

sundoesshine (05-08-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    There are sonic devices to repel rodents, usually they have multiple settings for volume. Much of the sound they produce is out of the range of human hearing but on the louder setting and in close proximity to the device you can definitely hear it.

Yes I originally thought this. There was a light that she had in her backyard and I asked about it but she said it was just a light (this was before) but I will try to look again when she is not around. I actually have sensitive ears that can pick up high-pitched frequencies so yes like you said, if the volume is high and I move near it I will update probably hear it.
    Thanks for your help!