Thread: Boot Scooting Boogie

Question Boot Scooting Boogie

I am rehabbing two brothers, about 7 weeks old. Just noticed one scooting around the cage on his butt. He is eating and drinking normally. Playing and sleeping as expected. He did happen to notice my cat laying in the other room and acted all tough- making noise and jumping towards kitty. Wondering if this could this be his way of marking territory... or is he too young for that behaviour? Could he have an infection or worms? I’ve had these little sweeties for about two weeks now. First time I’ve noticed him doing this, but I’m worried. Please help?

Default Re: Boot Scooting Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by rangergirl View Post
    I am rehabbing two brothers, about 7 weeks old. Just noticed one scooting around the cage on his butt. He is eating and drinking normally. Playing and sleeping as expected. He did happen to notice my cat laying in the other room and acted all tough- making noise and jumping towards kitty. Wondering if this could this be his way of marking territory... or is he too young for that behaviour? Could he have an infection or worms? I’ve had these little sweeties for about two weeks now. First time I’ve noticed him doing this, but I’m worried. Please help?
    What does his diet consist of? What does their poop look like? How often do you feed? What kind of formula are you feeding them?

They have been getting formula made with goat milk and heavy cream heated to just before boiling, and when cool, I add a few drops of liquid vitamin D and coconut oil. They are also eating sweet potatoes, carrots, banana, avocado, pears and apples, rat blocks, and once in awhile a baby Mum mum cracker. Their poop is normal shaped, light brown. They are losing interest in their formula in the last day... He doesn’t appear to be scooting today... but I haven’t really had a lot of time to watch him either. Is it normal to lose interest in formula at this age... I usually give them solids at one feeding and formula at the next... maybe I should space feedings apart more... ???

They have been getting formula made with goat milk and heavy cream heated to just before boiling, and when cool, I add a few drops of liquid vitamin D and coconut oil. They are also eating sweet potatoes, carrots, banana, avocado, pears and apples, rat blocks, and once in awhile a baby Mum mum cracker. Their poop is normal shaped, light brown. They are losing interest in their formula in the last day... He doesn’t appear to be scooting today... but I haven’t really had a lot of time to watch him either. Is it normal to lose interest in formula at this age... I usually give them solids at one feeding and formula at the next... maybe I should space feedings apart more... ???
    At this time I would say that you have their diet not going in the right direction. At 7 weeks their diet should consist of formula and Henry’s blocks. Vegetables are to be introduced moderately. I would also say the goat milk formula isn’t giving them what they need. The scooting could also be a early sign of MBD directly caused by the diet. I recommend fixing the formula first. They need to be on Fox Valley 20/50 or Esbilac puppy formula powdered. Make sure the Esbilac is dated 2021 I believe. MBD can kill them and it is an ugly thing to watch. When you get the formula in (you can order it from Henry’s directly) you will need to do a 75/25 ratio for the first feeding. Then move to a 50/50 then so forth and so on. I don’t know if I would flush their system first. In other words give them pedialyte for 24 hours then move back to formula once you get it in. The Esbilac can be bought at Petsmart maybe or Tractor supply not for sure about that. I only use Fox Valley. It saved my little mans life so I am sticking to that. So then let’s fix the other part of the diet. They need leafy greens. Fruits and potatoes are bad for them. It’s entirely to much sugar and starches. There is a feeding chart on Henry’s website that is my shopping bible. There are way more experienced rehabbers here that can chime in on the MBD, but in my opinion since one seems to be dragging the bottom (which is what Tuff did) i wouldn’t start the MBD protocol. But I would wait on another opinion for that. The MBD will only get worse if that is what it is. It can cause broken brittle bones, organ failure, and seizures then death. They need a lot of calcium to survive and at this critical age it is imperative that they get proper nutrition.

5. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tuff:

Buddy (05-08-2021), island rehabber (05-14-2021), KCullen (05-12-2021)

I would also make sure I had a scale to weigh the babies. Their formula intake should be 5-7% of their body weight. Meaning if you baby weighs 250 grams then they should be taking right at 13 ml if I did the math correct per feeding. I am sure some one will correct me if I am wrong in that.

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

island rehabber (05-14-2021)

This is a baby squirrel guide from Henry’s web site. It is very helpful.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

Any updates? Is it better? Worse? The same?

Actually they are both doing really well. No more scooting. They are eating and sleeping and playing as they should. I am moving them to a bigger cage tomorrow. Thank you for all your help.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to rangergirl from:

Tuff (05-11-2021)