Thread: Wilds near release cage

Default Wilds near release cage

Three days ago we put our 9 month old female squirrel outside into her release cage on our patio. The wild squirrels used to come to this area for their treats. I've tried to cut them off at this location and feed them closer to the edge of the woods but some of them continue to come up to the patio next to her cage. Our female starts shaking her tail and runs up to them through her cage and paces back and forth until they usually leave the area. Should I feed them next to her cage or continue to try to discourage them from this area. She was overwintered and is still learning how to wild up. Thanks

Default Re: Wilds near release cage

Quote Originally Posted by MapleRidgesquirrel View Post
    Three days ago we put our 9 month old female squirrel outside into her release cage on our patio. The wild squirrels used to come to this area for their treats. I've tried to cut them off at this location and feed them closer to the edge of the woods but some of them continue to come up to the patio next to her cage. Our female starts shaking her tail and runs up to them through her cage and paces back and forth until they usually leave the area. Should I feed them next to her cage or continue to try to discourage them from this area. She was overwintered and is still learning how to wild up. Thanks
    If it were me, I think I'd not add food into the mix. She's just getting acquainted with them and it seems like that is enough to start with. There's always time to add it in once she's a bit more used to them and being outside, but that is just my take.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to sundoesshine:

Buddy (05-04-2021), MapleRidgesquirrel (05-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by MapleRidgesquirrel View Post
    Our female starts shaking her tail and runs up to them through her cage and paces back and forth until they usually leave the area.
    My observation has been that they do that (shaking tail) when they get excited. I've been trying to feed wild squirrels in our yard also away from the release cage. I call them, and they do shake their tails like a fast windmill and run towards me to get their treat.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

5. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

MapleRidgesquirrel (05-04-2021)

I might be totally misinterpreting though and I agree, it's probably best not to add food to the mix.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

MapleRidgesquirrel (05-04-2021)

Thanks. It's so hard not to feed the local friendly wild squirrels. They still can't figure out why I'm not always giving them treats like I used to.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to MapleRidgesquirrel from:

Buddy (05-04-2021)

Yep! Exactly! They look with those beautiful, sweet eyes and wondering where their food is.

I cannot stop feeding them either. I try to lure them to different parts of the yard and give something there.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Buddy:

MapleRidgesquirrel (05-04-2021), Rock Monkey (05-05-2021)