Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squirrel staying on my window screen for maybe 24 hrs+

Default Squirrel staying on my window screen for maybe 24 hrs+

All day yesterday a squirrel scrabbled around on the screen of my basement office window. She(?) was still there this morning, then left that screen to come down the adjacent stairs to my basement door, and is currently between that door and the screen door (screen door has a big hole in it). I looked at her through the glass door, and when I came back she was still there but hunched into the corner and harder to see. She may not be fully grown, but I'm no expert. She seems fully mobile. I don't know whether she has had anything to eat or drink or left at all during the night.
    Should I leave her alone? Put out water? Food (what kind)? Try to trap her and bring her to a rehabber?
    Thank you!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bklyn730 from:

Buddy (05-04-2021)

Default NEVER MIND: Squirrel staying on my window screen for maybe 24 hrs+

I took photos and sent them to a wildlife rehabber who said she is about 12 weeks old and needs help, but I wasn't able to trap her and now I can't find her. Thanks anyway.

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bklyn730 from:

Buddy (05-04-2021)

Default Re: Squirrel staying on my window screen for maybe 24 hrs+

Hope he or she united with his/her family.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Bklyn730 (05-04-2021)

Poor baby was obviously orphaned and asking for help, unless she was taken
    by a predator she couldn't have gone far. I'd show some compassion and look
    for her or ask the rehabber to come look.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

8. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (05-04-2021), Nancy in New York (05-05-2021), TubeDriver (05-05-2021)

Big wow to the assumptions and judgment there.
    I searched and searched for her. Found her once, tried to trap her, and she escaped again, and I searched more. After snooping around tons of people's property, I posted an email to my block's listserv hoping that she will hide out in front of a neighbor's house and they will let me know. If you want to know why I sent it only to my block, that is because this is Brooklyn, there are hundreds of people on one block, and the block is ridiculously long. I am heartbroken about failing this little squirrel. If that isn't enough compassion for you, come fix it yourself.

Heartbreak may not be warranted here. We have a thread here about a person who had a squirrel build a nest between his screen and window in the city and they got to watch and photograph the baby right through weaning and leaving the nest, all from their living room. This may be a viable spot for females looking to build a nest. Perhaps you simply ran into a squirrel scoping out the area?

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to CritterMom from:

Buddy (05-04-2021)

Hi! You obviously feel really bad about this, which I totally understand. I don't think there was a judgement in Stepnstone's note.

The admins on this forum help so many people and squirrels day and night, 24*7, sometimes sending medicine from their possessions for free and do everything they can to help.

We're all here to care for squirrels (or some other animals) and help, support each other. Please don't take things personally. People can only respond to what's been shared.

Also, this is a rather really safe space. People make mistakes and fail squirrels. As far as I can see, everyone here tries to help as much as they can; without judgement.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

13. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Buddy:

Chirps (05-05-2021), Nancy in New York (05-05-2021), TubeDriver (05-05-2021)

Thanks for that. As someone who went vegan for the animals and is surrounded by people who eat animals and their bodily products, I bristle when people imply that I lack compassion.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Bklyn730 from:

Buddy (05-04-2021)

Nice! I'm a vegan myself too (and yes, for the animals). Been for over 10 years.

Emotions always run high when it involves a baby animal.

17. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Buddy:

Bklyn730 (05-04-2021), Nancy in New York (05-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bklyn730 View Post
    Big wow to the assumptions and judgment there.
    I searched and searched for her. Found her once, tried to trap her, and she escaped again, and I searched more. After snooping around tons of people's property, I posted an email to my block's listserv hoping that she will hide out in front of a neighbor's house and they will let me know. If you want to know why I sent it only to my block, that is because this is Brooklyn, there are hundreds of people on one block, and the block is ridiculously long. I am heartbroken about failing this little squirrel. If that isn't enough compassion for you, come fix it yourself.
    Point taken!

Your first post sounded a little hesitate not knowing if /when to help the baby and I have been on the side of too little too late too often lately.
    I apologize if you perceived it to be more then what it was, it was not my intention.
    I was only trying to convey a desperation to feel sorry for it and help it but obviously with a bad choice of wording to express it.
    I bleed for the babies, there was no personal judgement intended.
    Thank you for trying to help, hopefully it will be alright and can stay safe.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

19. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (05-05-2021), Chirps (05-05-2021), Nancy in New York (05-05-2021), TubeDriver (05-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Point taken!

Your first post sounded a little hesitate not knowing if /when to help the baby and I have been on the side of too little too late too often lately.
    I apologize if you perceived it to be more then what it was, it was not my intention.
    I was only trying to convey a desperation to feel sorry for it and help it but obviously with a bad choice of wording to express it.
    I bleed for the babies, there was no personal judgement intended.
    Thank you for trying to help, hopefully it will be alright and can stay safe.
    Thanks.

Default ADVICE ON TRAPPING A JUVENILE SQUIRREL

THE SQUIRREL IS BACK. Or maybe a sibling? Anyway, I NEED HELP. The rehabber's instructions for trapping the squirrel didn't make a lot of sense to me and didn't work for me. How can I trap her? (Remembering that she is fully mobile and has super squirrel speed.)
    I'm going outside to get some photos of where she is so you can see the obstacles & escape opportunities.

Default Re: ADVICE ON TRAPPING A JUVENILE SQUIRREL

THE SQUIRREL IS BACK. Or maybe a sibling? Anyway, I NEED HELP. The rehabber's instructions for trapping the squirrel didn't make a lot of sense to me and didn't work for me. How can I trap her? (Remembering that she is fully mobile and has super squirrel speed.)
    I'm going outside to get some photos of where she is so you can see the obstacles & escape opportunities.
    Argh! She left before I could get outside. I checked all hiding places in front of several neighbors in both directions.
    I would still appreciate trapping advice in case she reappears. The photos show the basement windows she likes, the stairs down to the basement gate, which you open, turn 90 degrees, and are facing the basement screen door and glass door. Note the mini-step up to the basement door which made it impossible yesterday to pop a box over her cleanly -- the box winds up on a slant.
    Thank you in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images        

Try to get a picture of the squirrel if you see it again. If it is an adult it may very well be looking for a good place to live. The ability to come and go is a positive one.

24. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Buddy (05-05-2021), stepnstone (05-05-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    Try to get a picture of the squirrel if you see it again. If it is an adult it may very well be looking for a good place to live. The ability to come and go is a positive one.
    That would be nice! Unfortunately, I sent several pics of the squirrel to the wildlife rehabilitator, who said she is 12 weeks old and probably has been separated from her mother.

If you haven't already, put out some water and some food. Try cooked sweet potato or butternut squash, some avocado (no skin or pits), apple, raw carrots. Preferably put these things at some ledge where the squirrel would be off the ground some and feel a little safer.

With the water, put out a dish with shallow sides not more than 1/2" tall. They aren't very good at drinking when they are young and we want to prevent their noses from going underwater and water getting up their nose. Place maybe 1/8" of water in the dish. You could use the lid from a jar or small Tupperware container.

27. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Bklyn730 (05-05-2021), Buddy (05-05-2021), Chirps (05-05-2021)

Squirrels are very observant and sensitive and quick to react, don't look at it directly or stare. (It is these qualities that keep them from getting eaten.) Look indirectly and then look away. Just stand at a distance and talk soothingly, in a relaxed manner. If you are relaxed, this will go a long way to making them relaxed. Don't close distance, just work on establishing some trust. You are working to demonstrate that you aren't a predator and that you want to help.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    If you haven't already, put out some water and some food. Try cooked sweet potato or butternut squash, some avocado (no skin or pits), apple, raw carrots. Preferably put these things at some ledge where the squirrel would be off the ground some and feel a little safer.

With the water, put out a dish with shallow sides not more than 1/2" tall. They aren't very good at drinking when they are young and we want to prevent their noses from going underwater and water getting up their nose. Place maybe 1/8" of water in the dish. You could use the lid from a jar or small Tupperware container.
    Thanks! I will.
    If that brings her back, what do I do next?

Thanks! I will.
    If that brings her back, what do I do next?
    That depends on what the objective is and the animal's overall health.

Do you want to assist it and have it live outside? Or are you willing to undertake the burden of assisting it by taking it in until it gets bigger and stronger? (It is a very demanding undertaking.)

If you could get a picture that would greatly help the members of the board to assess this animal's health and the gravity of its plight.

31. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Bklyn730 (05-05-2021), Buddy (05-05-2021), Chirps (05-05-2021)

Hi! And wow! That IS a tricky area. Even if you managed to pop a box over her(?), it looks very challenging to maneuver something under it to finish the job. Do you have any actual traps, like the Havahart, or can you get/borrow one? I'm thinking just set it and bait it and hope the squirrel does the rest. Are there rats in the neighborhood that might get caught instead though?

Is it possible the squirrel is fine and just exploring, and checks in with Mom for feeding or to sleep for the night? Maybe the day spent at your window was just confusion, like she'd gone too far afield and was unfamiliar with the area, and your window looked or smelled like "home"?

If it doesn't risk drawing undesirable diners, maybe get some rat food if a local pet store carries the better stuff just for the sake of getting some decent nutrition into her, or if you get a trap go ahead and use junk food like peanuts just to get her caught so you can really help her with proper feeding after.

If you can afford to you could order from Henry's Healthy Pets, but I'm thinking time is of the essence here so you may not be able to wait for a delivery. Thinking a pellet rat food for the now if she shows up again, then that or something even more enticing as bait for a trap.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

33. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Chirps:

Bklyn730 (05-05-2021), Buddy (05-05-2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast