Thread: Baby Squirrel constant diarrhea and LUMP

Default Baby Squirrel constant diarrhea and LUMP

Hi all. I need urgent help

I found a baby squirrel 3 days ago after the wind blew him from his nest. I was unable to reunite him with the mother. There are no wildlife rehabilitators willing to take him in and no vet will touch him. He looks to be 6-7 weeks. He's an Eastern Grey and I live in Ontario, Canada.

I started with pedialyte (salt & sugar water mix) and then got him esbilac as recommended online with a formula to water ratio of 1:1. Problem is that he has had diarrhea since I got him. His weight has dropped from 132g to 120g. I've stopped giving him the esbilac and have given him pedialyte for the last 2 feedings for the diarrhea. At another recommendation I'm planning on giving him the Goat's milk formula tonight.

Furthermore, I've noticed that he has been kind of dragging his right leg the last couple days and I was worried it might be damaged, but upon closer inspection, he has a lump on his lower belly (right side) a little beside his penis. It's about 2cm wide, hard, and spherical. I'm hoping this isn't an infection. Maybe will resolve itself by switching foods??

I really don't know what I should do. He's still very talkative and likes feedings, but I don't know if he'll live many more days at this rate. I'm really worried about the lump and diarrhea.

Please, if you have any advice let me know.

Thank you.

Default Re: Baby Squirrel constant diarrhea and LUMP

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    Hi all. I need urgent help

I found a baby squirrel 3 days ago after the wind blew him from his nest. I was unable to reunite him with the mother. There are no wildlife rehabilitators willing to take him in and no vet will touch him. He looks to be 6-7 weeks. He's an Eastern Grey and I live in Ontario, Canada.

I started with pedialyte (salt & sugar water mix) and then got him esbilac as recommended online with a formula to water ratio of 1:1. Problem is that he has had diarrhea since I got him. His weight has dropped from 132g to 120g. I've stopped giving him the esbilac and have given him pedialyte for the last 2 feedings for the diarrhea. At another recommendation I'm planning on giving him the Goat's milk formula tonight.

Furthermore, I've noticed that he has been kind of dragging his right leg the last couple days and I was worried it might be damaged, but upon closer inspection, he has a lump on his lower belly (right side) a little beside his penis. It's about 2cm wide, hard, and spherical. I'm hoping this isn't an infection. Maybe will resolve itself by switching foods??

I really don't know what I should do. He's still very talkative and likes feedings, but I don't know if he'll live many more days at this rate. I'm really worried about the lump and diarrhea.

Please, if you have any advice let me know.

Thank you.
    The Esbilac should be 2to1, 2 water-1 powder. Not 1-1
    Also check the date on the Esbilac that it is on or after 10/2021.
    With diarrhea you should hydrate in between formula feedings to help flush the system.
    You can also give kayopectate or pepto to help control the diarrhea.

The "lump" sounds like a possible rupture, a picture might help to identify.

Forgot to ask.... You are using the powered Esbilac not liquid yes??
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (05-03-2021), island rehabber (05-04-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    The Esbilac should be 2to1, 2 water-1 powder. Not 1-1
    Also check the date on the Esbilac that it is on or after 10/2021.
    With diarrhea you should hydrate in between formula feedings to help flush the system.
    You can also give kayopectate or pepto to help control the diarrhea.

The "lump" sounds like a possible rupture, a picture might help to identify.

Forgot to ask.... You are using the powered Esbilac not liquid yes??

I spoke with someone and she gave me some advice. I will switch to the Goat's milk formula with yogurt and HWC with hydration in between feedings. I think the issue for his diarrhea is the canned formula (as you pointed out). I have the powdered as well but started with the canned.

Looking closer at the lump, it has a black dot on it, like a scab. I think it's an infection he got somehow.

Lastly, I finally found a wildlife rehabilitator, so I'll be taking him there first thing tomorrow.

Thank you so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey View Post
    I spoke with someone and she gave me some advice. I will switch to the Goat's milk formula with yogurt and HWC with hydration in between feedings. I think the issue for his diarrhea is the canned formula (as you pointed out). I have the powdered as well but started with the canned.
    Looking closer at the lump, it has a black dot on it, like a scab. I think it's an infection he got somehow.
    Lastly, I finally found a wildlife rehabilitator, so I'll be taking him there first thing tomorrow.
    Thank you so much!
    Correct, the canned will do it every time.
    If taking to rehabber tomorrow first thing I would just hydrate, or if later feed the correct esbilac. Goat's milk formula is only meant to be a temporary formula and too many formula changes is just going to add to the digestive upset.
    Likely will need an ab for the infection, soaking "scab" with warm moist cloth might loosen scab so it can drain.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (05-03-2021), island rehabber (05-04-2021), Rock Monkey (05-05-2021), TubeDriver (05-03-2021)