Thread: Juvenile cataracts

Default Juvenile cataracts

Name:  CBAF4F47-6974-4CCA-8182-39A9E729CAA3.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  58.5 KB
    My vet said he more than likely has juvenile cataracts and nutrition may help. I got him 2 days ago. Has anyone else experienced this? I had one that had one eye affected but this little guy has it in both eyes.

Default Re: Juvenile cataracts

Yes, my squirrel had a cloudy eye when he was much younger. He still has a smaller area that's cloudy, but it got a lot smaller in time. I was told at the time that the nutrition play a role too.

You can check my post here. Scroll down a little bit and you would see Spanky's response:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...65309-My-Buddy

I hope he heals those pretty eyes fully!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Thank you so much for answering. I will keep his nutrition up and hope for the best!!

4. Serious fuzzy thank you's to nkkritters from:

Buddy (04-30-2021)

Also, be assured by the fact squirrels don't have a central focal point like humans and have a 270 degree field of view. With a healthy, varied diet they can overcome a great deal.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Buddy (05-02-2021), nkkritters (05-02-2021)

I spoke with my veterinarian and I will try to get him in soon to see if it is cataracts. If juvenile, he could get better. If it from trauma, he may be blind.

It turns out the little guy has double corneal infections. He is on oral antibiotics and drops. Also artificial tears. The vet said he may have a systemic infection because he also has a bump on his jaw. If he is going to get better, I should see improvement in a week. If not, he feels he will be blind, at which point euthanasia will be discussed.