Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Squirrel Momma= Worry Wart

Default New Squirrel Momma= Worry Wart

Hello there! I am so thankful to of found this forum! It has helped me tremendously! But with all the research and notes jotted down, my pea brain has overloaded to where I cant adult (lol). I hope I am posting correctly. If I am not, I do apologize. So here is a quick run down on my baby squirrel (Squirtles is his name now). A friend of mine cut down a tree and sadly it had a squirrel nest in it. He found Squirtles and his sibling laying on the ground. Squirtles sibling did not make it. Said friend took Squirtles home and proceeded to put him in a small tote with fleece blankets and started feeding him KMR with a nursing bottle. My friend had to go out of town and asked me to "squirrel sit" for him. I agreed. On the 20th Squirtles was brought to me (8pm that evening). I immediately researched about the care of a baby squirrel. That is when I realized this lil guy needed the good stuff! So the next morning as soon as Henrys opened up, I went in and got the nursing kit, extra miracle nips, syringes and electro-stat. I have borrowed scales and have charted all weights, food intake, notes, etc. He is on a feeding schedule. Squirtles and I bonded quickly. In the end he is now in my care full time. He looks to be 8 weeks old, but is on the smaller side? Over the past 9 days, he has gained weight and flourished. But the past 2 days he has only wanted his healthy blocks or other solid snacks (apple slice). He has weighed the same the past 2 days . He weighs 152.378 grams. Today was my first day away from him ( I went back to work). He has shown NO interest in formula at all the past 2 days. But has ate solids. This afternoon when I come home, still no interest in the formula. But i noticed he seemed off today. I am a worry wart, but I again I am new to the care of a baby squirrel. And I want to do everything correctly. Again, I could be just over analyzing the situation. Just looking for advice and help for my Squirtles.
    I called the emergency line and I agree with Leigh ( I let him have "junk" and now that is all he wants). SO I will start with just formula first and then 1 block thru the day. I wonder is he gonna stay on the small side? Does he have MBD? Or any other ailments?
    Looking forward to your feedback. Thank you in advance!
    Emily & Squirtles

2. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squirtles:

Buddy (04-30-2021), Chirps (05-01-2021), Rock Monkey (04-30-2021)

Default Re: New Squirrel Momma= Worry Wart

Welcome to the TSB! So he was on KMR till day days ago? As you know, that is not the correct formula for a squirrel. His small size might be due to the KMR. Getting him on FV or esbilac as soon as possible was important as was getting him started on a quality rodent block. What formula are you offering him now? Is is eating at all? Pooping and peeing regularly?
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Buddy (04-30-2021), Squirtles (04-30-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by TubeDriver View Post
    Welcome to the TSB! So he was on KMR till day days ago? As you know, that is not the correct formula for a squirrel. His small size might be due to the KMR. Getting him on FV or esbilac as soon as possible was important as was getting him started on a quality rodent block. What formula are you offering him now? Is is eating at all? Pooping and peeing regularly?
    Thank you for responding! Squirtles is on FV 20/50. I purchased it along with everything else needed for nursing/feeding him the very next morning (April 21st) once Henry's opened up. Thank God there located 5 minutes down the road from me. From what I have been told he has been fed the KMR with a nursing bottle since he was found. Which he has said he found him when he was a pinkie and that he has had him roughly 8 weeks. He didn't weigh him during that time. I was able to locate a scale and started logging Squirtles weight, calculations for ccs at each feeding, what times I fed him, how much he ate, how many blocks he was given, as well as his overall being at each feeding.
    He is peeing/pooping regularly. His pee doesn't smell/look out of the ordinary. His poop is dark from where he has been eating solids. I weighed him at 4 am. He is still the same 152 grams. That makes 3 days in a row he has maintained that weight. He still showed no interest in the formula. But was wanting to snuggle and clean me (I assume it's cleaning, he likes to crawl up my arms and lick). He just has started that 2 days ago. I'm letting 6 ccs of formula warm in a coffee mug that was heated for a minute in the microwave at rhe moment. I plan to try feeding again once it's warmed up enough. I mix his daily amount up the night before and put in the fridge.

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirtles from:

Buddy (04-30-2021)

Everything you are doing sounds correct. The red flag to watch out for is losing weight, that really indicates there is a problem. Hopefully, he will start putting on weight again. Keep offering him formula, let him wean himself. Maybe offer it in the morning before offering block when he is more hungry. But make the block available too. Make sure he is hydated too. Since he is no longer taking formula, he should be drinking water on his own. Measure water levels in water bottle or bowl so you can check to see how much he is drinking. So long as he is peeing regularly, he should be hydrated. Can you post up a photo of him?

Quote Originally Posted by Squirtles View Post
    Thank you for responding! Squirtles is on FV 20/50. I purchased it along with everything else needed for nursing/feeding him the very next morning (April 21st) once Henry's opened up. Thank God there located 5 minutes down the road from me. From what I have been told he has been fed the KMR with a nursing bottle since he was found. Which he has said he found him when he was a pinkie and that he has had him roughly 8 weeks. He didn't weigh him during that time. I was able to locate a scale and started logging Squirtles weight, calculations for ccs at each feeding, what times I fed him, how much he ate, how many blocks he was given, as well as his overall being at each feeding.
    He is peeing/pooping regularly. His pee doesn't smell/look out of the ordinary. His poop is dark from where he has been eating solids. I weighed him at 4 am. He is still the same 152 grams. That makes 3 days in a row he has maintained that weight. He still showed no interest in the formula. But was wanting to snuggle and clean me (I assume it's cleaning, he likes to crawl up my arms and lick). He just has started that 2 days ago. I'm letting 6 ccs of formula warm in a coffee mug that was heated for a minute in the microwave at rhe moment. I plan to try feeding again once it's warmed up enough. I mix his daily amount up the night before and put in the fridge.

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Thank you again! He has a water bottle in his cage with a bowl under it to catch anything that may drip out (until his new one comes in). He is drinking pretty steady with the water. But I do have the electro stat made and in the fridge, just in case. I did get him to drink 1.5 ccs at 10:00 am. The other syringe got clogged and by the time I had it fixed, he had lost interest. Getting ready to feed him again, before I step out to run an errand. With offering the block, could I squirt some formula on it as well? Be another way to get some formula in him, until he gets back on track of taking the formula like he is suppose too. I did the dehydration pinch test on him, he passed it. I have gotten him a small litter pan and litter as well, to attempt to litter train him. Silly question, but is there a certain number of times a day he should be voiding? I clean his cage out every 2 to 3 days, but I inspect it daily for his urine/feces.
    And yes, I will provide pictures . Give me just a second. I don't have any of his pictures uploaded on my laptop (lol)

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirtles from:

Rock Monkey (04-30-2021)

OK, so I am struggling to get pictures up-loaded. Was going to provide a picture from the day he got here, and last night/today.

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirtles from:

Rock Monkey (04-30-2021)

Here is a very video about feeding technique. Young squirrels can be so hungry that they pull the plunger down, resulting in too much formula coming out. Proper feeding technique is the key to avoiding aspiration which can in turn lead to aspiration pneumonia (AP), which can be quick and deadly in young squirrels. Note, aspiration can occur without the caretaker being aware that it has occurred when smaller amounts are involved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc

Here is another video from the same source regarding good technique for hydration and how to test for dehydration with a simple skin pull test (turgor).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjPM...relsandmorellc

Last, since AP is so vicious it needs to be treated with effective antibiotics as promptly as possible. So here are symptoms to be on the look out for since staying ahead of the curve is the key with AP, should it ever occur.

Symptoms:
    1. Lethargic (inactive), lack of appetite.
    2. Difficult/labored breathing or rapid breathing or slow breathing and/or open mouth breathing
    3. Rapid heartbeat
    4. Fever or Chills
    5. Pale, bluish to dark purple skin from a lack of oxygen (Look at lips and pads of feet)
    6. Nasal discharge
    7. Sweet or foul smelling breath
    8. Wheezing, crackling, or clicking sounds when inhaling and/or exhaling

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Squirtles (04-30-2021)

Name:  420.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  60.6 KB This is the night he was brought over to me.
    Name:  computer.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  84.9 KB This is him the following morning after I went to Henrys Healthy Pets
    Name:  thursdayscale.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  69.5 KB This is him on the scales yesterday.
    I hope these have come through.

16. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Squirtles:

Buddy (04-30-2021), Chirps (05-01-2021), Rock Monkey (04-30-2021), TubeDriver (04-30-2021)

Well, normally eyes open and at 4-5 weeks of age. So that should provide a reference point in his timeline with you.

Secondly, being able to hold food and sit upright in a well balanced posture is another developmental marker.

Based on weight I would say he seems to young to self-wean, which varies from squirrel to squirrel.

18. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

The older he gets, the more stuff he will get into. He will try to find his own sources of foods. They have a knack for getting into trouble. Also, eventually, they often start chewing on electrical cords. So, don't leave him unsupervised if there is anything plugged in. The older they get the bolder they get about climbing and leaping and they are fearless and are willing to fall to try to get to where they want to get to so be concerned about them knocking things down or landing badly on a crowded landing zone. They are stubbornly persistent.

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Squirtles (04-30-2021), TubeDriver (04-30-2021)

But was wanting to snuggle and clean me (I assume it's cleaning, he likes to crawl up my arms nd lick). He just has started that 2 days ago.
    Yes, it isn't unusual for them to groom their caretakers. Some will even give manicures. It takes them a while to figure out the difference between clothing and skin. Clothing is a very strange thing from their perspective. They might groom your sweater. When they are grooming they are gentle.

If they do something that hurts, say "Ouch" or something. They will learn.

If they do something that they shouldn't say, "No." They will learn. Praise behavior that you want to reinforce.

Also, they will eventually aggravate you, but yelling at them is pretty much always counter productive and damages their trust and the bond which makes them mind you when you say "No" or "Ouch".

It isn't unusual for them to want to climb on top of your head. Just keep a hand in front of them in case they decide to descend on the front of your face. Glasses or safety glasses can be handy.

If you are relaxed this goes a long way towards making them relaxed.

22. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Super cute!!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

24. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Squirtles (04-30-2021)

He looks good overall, a bit small perhaps and maybe a bit spiky (keep checking to make sure he is hydrated) but also...... super cute!

-Grateful Dead

26. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Thank you for responding! I assumed he was off on the timeline of Squirtles age. I am learning about his species quickly, but I tend to second guess myself. I guess I truly wont know his age, down to the exact day and month (lol). But i guess-tah-mated 5-8 weeks. But his small size throws me off. His first weigh in he was 3.4 ounces = 96 grams.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    The older he gets, the more stuff he will get into. He will try to find his own sources of foods. They have a knack for getting into trouble. Also, eventually, they often start chewing on electrical cords. So, don't leave him unsupervised if there is anything plugged in. The older they get the bolder they get about climbing and leaping and they are fearless and are willing to fall to try to get to where they want to get to so be concerned about them knocking things down or landing badly on a crowded landing zone. They are stubbornly persistent.
    This past week of me being his caregiver, he has started showing me the ways of his people lol. I have started the "squirrel proofing", and looking at prints for DIY enclosures.

29. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirtles from:

Rock Monkey (05-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Yes, it isn't unusual for them to groom their caretakers. Some will even give manicures. It takes them a while to figure out the difference between clothing and skin. Clothing is a very strange thing from their perspective. They might groom your sweater. When they are grooming they are gentle.

If they do something that hurts, say "Ouch" or something. They will learn.

If they do something that they shouldn't say, "No." They will learn. Praise behavior that you want to reinforce.

Also, they will eventually aggravate you, but yelling at them is pretty much always counter productive and damages their trust and the bond which makes them mind you when you say "No" or "Ouch".

It isn't unusual for them to want to climb on top of your head. Just keep a hand in front of them in case they decide to descend on the front of your face. Glasses or safety glasses can be handy.

If you are relaxed this goes a long way towards making them relaxed.
    Thank you for this information! He is getting more curious as the days pass. So far I have been able to stay a hand ahead of him (lol). I have witnessed first hand that glasses are very handy when you have a curious baby squirrel. The other day i told him "NO" in a stern voice. After the second "NO" he understood. And decided it was time to snuggle with "momma".

31. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Squirtles from:

Rock Monkey (05-02-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Super cute!!
    Thank you! He is just so precious ! And he loves to cuddle! And actually, very photogenic too! Lol

He looks good overall, a bit small perhaps and maybe a bit spiky (keep checking to make sure he is hydrated) but also...... super cute!
    Great to hear this! I just want the best for him. With him being on the smaller side, I was wondering if it is due to being fed KMR for several weeks in the very beginning of his life? Genetics? Or me just over analyzing it like I tend to do .
    I made another batch of electro stat earlier this afternoon, he has had 2 feedings and has took a total of 5 ccs all together. He is acting much better.

Yes, my guess is that being started on KMR probably prevented him from growing as big as he might have on proper formula. But it is also possible that he is just a bit on the smaller side too.

Be careful with the electrostat, it is designed to help with rehydration but should not be used for much over 24 hours. Once he is hydrated and eating again, plain water is all he will need. Too much electrostat can harm his kidneys.

Great to hear this! I just want the best for him. With him being on the smaller side, I was wondering if it is due to being fed KMR for several weeks in the very beginning of his life? Genetics? Or me just over analyzing it like I tend to do .
    I made another batch of electro stat earlier this afternoon, he has had 2 feedings and has took a total of 5 ccs all together. He is acting much better.

-Grateful Dead

35. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to TubeDriver:

Rock Monkey (05-02-2021), Squirtles (05-01-2021)

Yes, my guess is that being started on KMR probably prevented him from growing as big as he might have on proper formula. But it is also possible that he is just a bit on the smaller side too.

Be careful with the electrostat, it is designed to help with rehydration but should not be used for much over 24 hours. Once he is hydrated and eating again, plain water is all he will need. Too much electrostat can harm his kidneys.
    TubeDriver, I stink at math, but I used a calculator and conversion table to make this batch of electrostat. His weight is 152.375 grams = 0.15 kg. The directions said they need 40-50 ml per kg. divided into several feedings/times throughout the day.
    He at 3 cc of electrostat at 5 pm and 2 cc at 9. He has been drinking from his water bottle too. Getting ready to try some formula again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast