Thread: 4-5 week squirell refuses to eat

Default 4-5 week squirell refuses to eat

Hello,
    I recently started taking care of a round tailed squirrel, after its mother was killed. (I was given him by another). The first night he was skinny and dehydrated, I gave him some pedialyte and got some goats milk esbilac for puppy’s the next morning. The next day he was eating healthily, latching onto the syringe and had been pooping and peeing regularly. This is the fourth day however and he is now refusing to eat. He does not look bloated and just wants to sleep. He is strong and moves around a lot however I am worried about his refusal to eat. Should I take him in? And how can I tell if he’s teething? The poop is brown and pellet shaped. I’m currently using a small o ring syringe and have listened to him breath to see if I can hear any clicking which I didn’t. He has a heating pad in half of his box that he can move in and out from. I keep him warm when feeding and re warm the milk in between. I premix the formula and keep it in the fridge for a few hours before hand. I’ve been giving him a little pedialyte that he takes drops of in case of dehydration.

Default Re: 4-5 week squirell refuses to eat

Hi Sasha! One of the experts will see this and give you advice but for now I'm wondering if maybe he's just not hungry. How often are you feeding him? Also do you have a weight for him? They are fed based on their weight. If you haven't already read it, there's a link at the bottom of my post to the baby squirrel care guide. Hopefully that will give you some guidance in the meantime.
    "I hope everyone got or gets their Baby Love today"~Shewhosweptforest

https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

3. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Chirps from:

SASHA- (04-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Chirps View Post
    Hi Sasha! One of the experts will see this and give you advice but for now I'm wondering if maybe he's just not hungry. How often are you feeding him? Also do you have a weight for him? They are fed based on their weight. If you haven't already read it, there's a link at the bottom of my post to the baby squirrel care guide. Hopefully that will give you some guidance in the meantime.
    I feed him about every 3-4 hours he starts walking around when he’s hungry. He weighs 20 grams. He was eating fine yesterday and last ate around 7 and then throughout the night i tried to feed him once and he refused it and has continued refusing the milk since.

If he is dehydrated he will refuse to eat. Pedialyte should not be used over 24 hours, I would suggest hydrating with the home made hydration I will post below.
    Drop by drop if that's the best that can be done but if he is severely dehydrated subq'ing is the only way you will be able to get him up to par as drop by drop is not going to cut it.

Home made hydration fluid:
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 tablespoon sugar (1-1/2 teaspoons)
    8 oz water
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Buddy (04-28-2021)