Thread: Help us save Georgie. Pox and neuro symptoms.

Default Help us save Georgie. Pox and neuro symptoms.

We were playing put put golf out in the back yard and a tree limb fell some feet away from us. Momma squirrel ran off from the scene and left behind this little guy. We tried many days to reunite them to no avail.

We are using the goat milk formula awaiting the fox valley
    dragons blood and nutriferon for the pox also keeping everything dry.
    we just started a round of prednisone using a guide from a member here for suspected head trauma
    bed is heated with warm pad and absorbent bedding he can also crawl on top of to get cool.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/arjpUR4hiJQqAFceA
    https://youtu.be/ui-h9UUsCow

He seems happy and energetic
    Please advise.

Default Re: Help us save Georgie. Pox and neuro symptoms.

OK, why do you suspect head trauma? Did he have physical damage? His head bobbing, bumbling way of moving is to be expected from a baby as young as he is. I ask because the prednisone, while excellent f there IS head trauma, is also just what he DOESN'T need for pox - prednisone depresses the immune system and the immune system is what fights viruses like pox.

If you take him off the prednisone, it needs to be tapered. Don't suddenly stop.

Baby needs some acyclovir. It will help with the pox. A number of people here can send you some - me included. In the meantime, get to a drugstore and get a bottle of Betadyne 10% povidone iodine (in the wound care aisle). Prepare a dilute solution of 15-20 drops per 1/4 cup water and use it to wipe down the sores and all the areas around the sores. Use a cotton ball and warm the solution up - you want to thoroughly dampen all of the skin and just let it air dry (keep him warm after you do it!). It doesn't burn or sting at all. It has anti-viral properties, and if you can start administering the acyclovir, which is an oral antiviral, and using the betadyne which is a topical antiviral, you are covering all of your bases.

You may want to check with friends to see if anyone has any.

I agree with this 💯. Corticosteroids during an infection seems like a really bad idea unless absolutely nessisary...
    Sciurus meus amicum optimum est!

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    OK, why do you suspect head trauma? Did he have physical damage? His head bobbing, bumbling way of moving is to be expected from a baby as young as he is. I ask because the prednisone, while excellent f there IS head trauma, is also just what he DOESN'T need for pox - prednisone depresses the immune system and the immune system is what fights viruses like pox.

If you take him off the prednisone, it needs to be tapered. Don't suddenly stop.

Baby needs some acyclovir. It will help with the pox. A number of people here can send you some - me included. In the meantime, get to a drugstore and get a bottle of Betadyne 10% povidone iodine (in the wound care aisle). Prepare a dilute solution of 15-20 drops per 1/4 cup water and use it to wipe down the sores and all the areas around the sores. Use a cotton ball and warm the solution up - you want to thoroughly dampen all of the skin and just let it air dry (keep him warm after you do it!). It doesn't burn or sting at all. It has anti-viral properties, and if you can start administering the acyclovir, which is an oral antiviral, and using the betadyne which is a topical antiviral, you are covering all of your bases.

You may want to check with friends to see if anyone has any.
    I have only given 2 half doses of pred at 12 hrs apart
    Got got the iodine and will administer as instructed please send acyclovir

Thank you

Can someone send us an aspiration dose for amoxicilian just i case

Georgie is 90 grams and we have 500mg tabs

Thanks

Another video showing behavior and pox. I treated him with the diluted iodine on my lunch break. I actually left from work as soon as I read CritterMom's post! Told the boss, gotta go! taking early lunch!
    My wife didn't know about the iodine treatment yet so the pox are coated with the dragons blood tree sap after she fed him when she got home from school that afternoon.
    https://youtu.be/sQ4JdkE5lII

7. Serious fuzzy thank you's to squirrleyJay from:

Buddy (04-29-2021)

He doesn't look at all neuro to me. I would taper the prednisone so his immune system can do it's thing.

I have sent squirrleyjay and Georgie some acyclovir and also some "just in case" cipro.

How much is he eating per feeding and how often?

Also, when you get the Fox Valley, do NOT suddenly change formulas. You need to do it gradually. Mix up a batch of the FV and one of the goats milk formula. In a third container, blend 3 parts of the GM and 1 part of the FV. Us that for at least 2 feedings. Then, mix up a batch that is equal parts GM and FV and feed for 2 feedings. Then do one that is 1 part GM and 2 parts FV, and after 2 feedings of that, go to straight FV. Going slow will prevent stomach upset issues which he does NOT need!

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

island rehabber (04-30-2021), squirrleyJay (04-29-2021)

He doesn't look at all neuro to me. I would taper the prednisone so his immune system can do it's thing.

I have sent squirrleyjay and Georgie some acyclovir and also some "just in case" cipro.

How much is he eating per feeding and how often?

Also, when you get the Fox Valley, do NOT suddenly change formulas. You need to do it gradually. Mix up a batch of the FV and one of the goats milk formula. In a third container, blend 3 parts of the GM and 1 part of the FV. Us that for at least 2 feedings. Then, mix up a batch that is equal parts GM and FV and feed for 2 feedings. Then do one that is 1 part GM and 2 parts FV, and after 2 feedings of that, go to straight FV. Going slow will prevent stomach upset issues which he does NOT need!
    Hi CritterMom, Georgie says hi too!

We have stared tapering the pred. He is sceduled to get his last dose tomorrow at the next 24hrs that will be a total of 4 doses , 2 @ 0.04ml 12hrs apart and 0.02ml @ 24hrs apart
    he eats 5-7mls per feeding 3 times a day. We add more water to his formula like 3 to1 right now to help with digestion and hydration. Also we give water in between meals until he figure out its not formula.

Thank you for sending us the meds that is very kind. Georgie seems happy and upbeat and believe it or not looks a lot better from when we first found him. I discovered that his other eye was open this morning when I woke him for breakfast. At one point he was studying me with it during breakfast like , Your not my mom, but I'll allow it!?

The goats milk formula is pretty lean on it's own. I would remove the additional water you are adding to it - he is a little thin. If you are concerned about him needing additional hydration, you can give him some between feedings. Once they are fully hydrated and are eating full strength formula on schedule at 5-7% of their weight each feeding, they don't need any in between water either.

The goats milk formula is pretty lean on it's own. I would remove the additional water you are adding to it - he is a little thin. If you are concerned about him needing additional hydration, you can give him some between feedings. Once they are fully hydrated and are eating full strength formula on schedule at 5-7% of their weight each feeding, they don't need any in between water either.
    Ten-4
    Thank you