Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buddy's First Night Out...

Default Buddy's First Night Out...

So, I finally started the wilding up process and let Buddy sleep in his nest box in his release cage last night. I have really mixed feelings about it. I'm so worried about him being out and about by himself soon.

Anyways, I usually give him 1 or sometimes 2 Henry's blocks in the evening, after I take him inside, in his inside cage and he usually eats them in the evening or during the night.

I also give him again 2 Henry's blocks in the morning, after playing with him for a while and by 10:30 am, which is almost now, he usually eats at least 1 one of them.

This morning though, even though I didn't give him any blocks at night, he didn't touch any of his blocks. He ate a bit of his yogurt. I gave him some avocado, he usually devours that too, but didn't eat that.

He would be really interested in playing with me in the mornings; but this morning, he didn't even try to come down from the top of his nest box.

He's been in his release cage for months; so that's not new. Could spending the night in the release cage affect his behavior this much?

It also got really warm here. From 40-50s in a few days, now it's 72. Maybe he is hot and doesn't have as much appetite?

I just put his vegetable plate in his cage (even though he didn't eat his blocks). Usually, he eats at least 1 block by the time I put his vegetables out.

What should I do going forward? Should I wait until he eats his blocks and then offer vegetables or give him mixture of both?

Any thoughts on what might be going on with his appetite and behavior? Is it normal?
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Rock Monkey (04-27-2021)

Default Re: Buddy's First Night Out...

Buddy is in a state of shock. Suddenly the routine that he has become familiar with has been changed dramatically. He is confused and probably somewhat scared. He doesn't know what all of this means. He wonders if you are mad at him because you are keeping him away. He is super anxious, for a squirrel hiding is a natural response to that. Many of us don't have much appetite when we don't feel well emotionally. He is also probably sad. He feels rejected. He might be mad at you.

Also, Buddy is very much emotionally tuned to you. He can feel your anxiety and worry and sadness, as you contemplate this new phase of your relationship. You realize that things will likely never be the same and that understandably makes you sad. He can feel you thinking ahead to the day that you open the door to his release cage and the way you dread that.

When I released Helen she was totally catatonic after two hours in the Have A Heart. I had put 20 lbs of nuts all over the ground. Prior to that day, I thought she would be insanely excited by the prospect of getting to eat all of those nuts. She totally ignored all of those nuts, didn't even go near one of them. She climbed straight up me, sat on my shoulder briefly, looked around in utter confusion and then climbed in between layers and stayed there. She hadn't done this since she was little squirrel.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Buddy (04-27-2021), sundoesshine (04-27-2021)

I only have experience with 1 rescue, but my 2 cents are that everything listed is normal and certainly feasible for Buddy's first night out. (Congratulations btw!) At first, jr wouldn't do his normal thing and I'd worry, but slowly those anomalies increase and you find yourself trained to accept the new normal. Eating normally is probably the last thing on his mind - just like when we are going through something new and scary and just have no appetite. I also agree his heightened instincts may be telling him winter is behind him he doesn't need as much fuel. Thanks for posting about his big adventure, I enjoy following his progress.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to sundoesshine:

Buddy (04-27-2021), Rock Monkey (04-27-2021)

Thank you both!

Yes, I agree; it's probably combination of many things, change in the routine, emotions, season...

I was just really shocked to see how much of being 1 night out made a difference.

I'll definitely keep a close eye on my little handsome Bud!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

8. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Buddy:

Rock Monkey (04-27-2021), sundoesshine (04-28-2021)

He is much more active. I provided a small bowl of ice cubes and he played with them for a few minutes adorably!

I also took my dog for a walk. I usually get a snack bag full of teklad and some peanuts with me to give snacks to neighborhood squirrels on my path. I noticed that they all look pretty hot. All in pancake position!

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    He is much more active.
    I noticed that they all look pretty hot. All in pancake position!
    Yup, mine took his afternoon nap pancaked on a branch yesterday vs in his drey. So glad to hear Buddy is a bit perkier today

PS Maybe your already know all this, but now that he is out, if he approaches you do Not assume any of the same past behaviors from him. You may want to keep your hands hidden under your armpits or pockets, and if he climbs you, be calm and freeze like tree trunk. Then sloowly inch over to a place where he can jump off when he's ready. Most like to sit on shoulders but no longer tolerate touch. (I know, strange but true). Just tossing down a piece of food or movement, can be perceived as aggression. Relationships Can change overnight sadly. Had I only known to do these simple things, I could have saved us soo many negative interactions and bites.

11. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to sundoesshine:

Buddy (04-27-2021), KCullen (05-07-2021)

Thank you very much!! Yes, great tips! I will definitely be cautious!

I know this is contrary to the recommended, but maybe you can spend a little time in the release cage with Buddy the first couple of days to ease the transition. This would reassure him that you aren't mad at him. Maybe this would mean that the slow release process takes a little longer.

You have been planning and preparing for this change for months. However, bear in mind that Buddy was blind sided by these major changes and you can't explain to him why this is best. He is just very confused. You have a far closer relationship with Buddy than most squirrels who are being taken care of by someone who is responsible for many young squirrels.

14. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Buddy (04-27-2021), Chirps (04-28-2021), KCullen (05-07-2021), sundoesshine (04-28-2021), Tuff (04-28-2021)

Thank you Rock Monkey! Yes, I actually did that today. I brought some ice cubes. He played with them and then I petted him all over with the ice cubes (it was just really that hot!). He LOVED it! He was just laying down, eyes closed... I think it helped him cool down a lot!

The rest of the day, he seemed to be more of his normal self. I also went back to his cage 10-15 min ago to change his water and said "Goodnight!" to him. I brought a fresh Henry's block with me too to give him. Actually, he already has a few around his nest box, but I know he likes the fresh blocks much better. I'll clean up what's not eaten tomorrow morning. I usually give those to the neighbor squirrels.

Hopefully, with cooler weather, he'll do much better tomorrow.

16. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Rock Monkey (04-28-2021)

Thank you Rock Monkey! Yes, I actually did that today. I brought some ice cubes. He played with them and then I petted him all over with the ice cubes (it was just really that hot!). He LOVED it! He was just laying down, eyes closed... I think it helped him cool down a lot!

The rest of the day, he seemed to be more of his normal self. I also went back to his cage 10-15 min ago to change his water and said "Goodnight!" to him. I brought a fresh Henry's block with me too to give him. Actually, he already has a few around his nest box, but I know he likes the fresh blocks much better. I'll clean up what's not eaten tomorrow morning. I usually give those to the neighbor squirrels.

Hopefully, with cooler weather, he'll do much better tomorrow.
    So it is awesome to hear that Buddy is doing so good. Tuff is accepting his fate fairly well lol...he does not care for the outside world at all. He just wants to be with his momma. So we have been in the sunroom for a while now, well since he bit me. His behavior is back to normal, some days worse than others. His appetite did decrease for several days but we are back on track now. I’m thinking this is going to take us a while. He spends his days and nights out there. He has a complete beautifully view of the yard and neighborhood squirrels and he still does not want to be a squirrel. So we wait until he is ready!!!!

18. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Tuff:

Buddy (04-28-2021), Chirps (04-28-2021), KCullen (05-07-2021), Rock Monkey (04-28-2021), sundoesshine (04-28-2021)

Thank you! Tuff is just momma's little boy who doesn't want to grow up so fast!

As long as he can communicate what he wants clearly to you; I think it's fine to take his time.

I notice that Buddy is just pacing in the release cage and feels like he wants to be out there. Hopefully, he will do great and will find his welcoming spot within the community!

This morning, I noticed a tiny baby squirrel on our big tree in the backyard. I don't know how many there are more in the tree. Hopefully they'll just be all good friends!

20. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

sundoesshine (04-28-2021)

Thank you! Tuff is just momma's little boy who doesn't want to grow up so fast!

As long as he can communicate what he wants clearly to you; I think it's fine to take his time.

I notice that Buddy is just pacing in the release cage and feels like he wants to be out there. Hopefully, he will do great and will find his welcoming spot within the community!

This morning, I noticed a tiny baby squirrel on our big tree in the backyard. I don't know how many there are more in the tree. Hopefully they'll just be all good friends!
    I was told if they are pacing to get out then they are wilding up and wanting out. But who knows really. I feel like you and Buddy have about the same bond that me and Tuff have. I read him very well at the moment. He paces to get back inside the house at the moment, so going out into the big world and the trees are pretty far off of his radar. He still wants to play and he still wants his loving time. So we will see all in good time. I’m still concerned about Tuff’s size, he just seems small but that was clearly my fault. Depending how much more he grows from now until? If he doesn’t grow much more I may deem him NR, these big chunky things in this neighborhood would have him for lunch. But not having a sibling it’s really hard to gauge also.

22. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Tuff from:

Buddy (04-28-2021)

It's definitely difficult, if not impossible, to know everything for sure! So we do the best we can for these little magical friends!

If Tuff wants to stay inside and he doesn't show any interest in outside, I think that's an indication that he might not be ready.

I would be cautious to declare him NR though, just based on the size. How much does he weigh? Buddy, ~9 months ranges between 650-700 grams. And he looks much smaller than the squirrels we have around.

However, as I just mentioned, much smaller / baby squirrels are now popping out. I also hear a lot of smaller squirrels or even squirrels with one eye or missing leg etc. can still be very dominant and do just fine.

As they get older, it might be harder to release too.

There are a lot to consider. Singletons have their own special challenges too. As you said, you are very much in tune with Tuff. If he needs more time, then just enjoy this time with him.

The other concern I have with Buddy is that he still has a very small cloudy area in his left eye (he had that since he opened that eye and it was bigger and more visible when he was a baby). He seems to be moving fine, jumping around, so hopefully, he doesn't have anything that puts him in a disadvantaged place.

I also hear a lot of smaller squirrels or even squirrels with one eye or missing leg etc. can still be very dominant and do just fine.
    In our yard, size doesn't seem to matter. My little jr stood up to a huuge male and they ended up coexisting fine. Then a young female appeared one day and kicked both their butts. I think the only reason Jr is still allowed to live here is she knows he's "in" with us. The female calls the shots and I haven't seen that older male since which is sad as he and jr liked to hang out together.

25. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to sundoesshine:

Buddy (04-28-2021), Chirps (04-28-2021)

Yes, their social interactions and hierarchy seems very complex. I'm both anxious and curious to see how they are going to react to Buddy.

Now that I know there are babies in the tree that I was planning to put Buddy's nest box, it definitely makes it more complicated.

Hopefully, they know intuitively since Buddy, all of them have been getting many more treats; so hopefully they let Buddy hang around peacefully.

27. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

I've raised and released seven squirrels - five singletons plus a brother/sister pair, so six total releases.

In hot weather, squirrels will take to the trees, where it is shady and there is a breeze. Within a release cage, they do not have this option. I set up my release cages in the part of my yard where there will be sufficient shade as much of the day as possible. In my case, this means not much shade from about 4:00 onwards. So, I drape a towel over part of the cage in order to provide a shady area of the cage during this otherwise shadeless period of the day.

With a late summer release when the temperatures might be an even worse issue, i have done the following:

Fill a large rectangular tupperware container most of the way with water then let it freeze. Wrap this in a towel, then place inside their cage. If it is really hot, they will lie on top of this to cool down. Have a couple of containers so you can switch them out as they melt.

Very important to cover the ice with a towel!

I came up with this idea a few years ago when I had my NR Ziggy, who did not do well with heat. I needed to go on a long car trip (500 miles each way) and had no choice but to take Ziggy with me. This was right when the weather first got quite hot, and i discovered an hour into the trip that my A/C was barely working due to a leak. It was getting quite toasty in the car, and I did not have time to return home to get the A/C fixed. So, I improvised by filling a container with ice, covering it with a towel, then letting Ziggy lie on top. He was a very happy squirrel the rest of the trip.

29. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to olorin19:

Buddy (04-28-2021), Chirps (04-28-2021), KCullen (05-07-2021), Rock Monkey (04-28-2021), sundoesshine (04-28-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by olorin19 View Post
    I've raised and released seven squirrels - five singletons plus a brother/sister pair, so six total releases.

In hot weather, squirrels will take to the trees, where it is shady and there is a breeze. Within a release cage, they do not have this option. I set up my release cages in the part of my yard where there will be sufficient shade as much of the day as possible. In my case, this means not much shade from about 4:00 onwards. So, I drape a towel over part of the cage in order to provide a shady area of the cage during this otherwise shadeless period of the day.

With a late summer release when the temperatures might be an even worse issue, i have done the following:

Fill a large rectangular tupperware container most of the way with water then let it freeze. Wrap this in a towel, then place inside their cage. If it is really hot, they will lie on top of this to cool down. Have a couple of containers so you can switch them out as they melt.

Very important to cover the ice with a towel!

I came up with this idea a few years ago when I had my NR Ziggy, who did not do well with heat. I needed to go on a long car trip (500 miles each way) and had no choice but to take Ziggy with me. This was right when the weather first got quite hot, and i discovered an hour into the trip that my A/C was barely working due to a leak. It was getting quite toasty in the car, and I did not have time to return home to get the A/C fixed. So, I improvised by filling a container with ice, covering it with a towel, then letting Ziggy lie on top. He was a very happy squirrel the rest of the trip.
    I've released squirrels in early May on three previous occasions. All three times, the new releases have returned to their nest box to sleep at night, as well as during the day for naps or to hang out, for about 6-8 weeks. Once it gets hotter in mid to late June, however, they move to the trees. They are still around the yard early morning and late afternoon/early evening. But other than when there is a thunderstorm, it is rare for them to return to their nest boxes for the next 3 months. They generally move back into their nest box at some point in late September or early October. They sleep there until the following April or May. Note that since my yard does not have any tall trees, my nest boxes remain inside the release cages, which are left open.

I have had several squirrels who repeated this pattern for years, i.e. returning to their nest box to sleep every winter after spending the warm weather in the trees.

31. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to olorin19:

Buddy (04-28-2021), Chirps (04-28-2021), sundoesshine (04-28-2021)

Thank you! Putting towel on ice is a great idea!

And thank you for sharing your experiences of your releases. That is definitely helpful and gives us ideas about potential behavior!

33. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Buddy from:

Every squirrel is different.

My two squirrels born winter/spring that were released in the summer both went wild. My three releases (two singletons and a pair) that were born summer/fall, overwintered, then released the next spring have all remained daily visitors, gentle with me, eating from my hand, etc.

I have just released another overwintered squirrel Harry and not yet sure which way he is headed:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...el-attacked-me!

I am hopeful Harry will manage to join the rest of the squirrel family:

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...54#post1331654

Anyways, back to my original point: Each squirrel is different.

I believe the trick is to figure out what they want and need (as opposed to what you might want or prefer) then give them whatever that might be. Squirrels are incredibly intelligent and adaptable. If you just pay attention and keep an open heart and mind, they will let you know what they want and need.

My boy Harry (first attached thread) is a good case in point. Sure, I would much prefer for him to behave like previous overwintered squirrels and be my friend for life. But that is not really up to me. So, i am doing my best to help Harry adjust to being a free squirrel and trusting that he will do what is best for him.

I've had people ask how one trains a squirrel. I believe it might be the other way around: the squirrels are pretty good at training us, if we pay attention.

35. 5 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to olorin19:

Buddy (04-28-2021), Chirps (04-28-2021), KCullen (05-07-2021), sundoesshine (04-28-2021), Tuff (04-28-2021)

Thank you! Yes, I agree with you completely!

I saw your thread about Harry. I will have to check the second link.

All I want is for Buddy to be a healthy, happy, strong squirrel and live a very very long life!

I would be (and I am already) missing playing with him or petting him or interacting with him; yes, of course; but as long as he is living a very long, happy, healthy life... me missing him is absolutely very secondary.

So a little background; I found Buddy on July 27th, he was very skinny, 12 grams or so pinky. We live in a northwest suburb of Chicago, so we had to overwinter him. He's been in his release cage since September or so. We've installed a heater underneath his nest box and he's been coming inside when it's really cold and also at night. Since Monday evening, he's been in his release cage 24*7.

He gets out of his nest box around 5:45-6:00 am... He's been extremely active during the morning; just pacing from one corner to another, jumping, running... Then I think 11 or so, he goes back to his nest box. It's after 5, and he's been still in his nest box; but he gets out a little bit in the evening too, and then goes back to the nest box for the night.

Do you think being extremely active and pacing indicates that he is ready?

My only concern is that he is the sweetest little boy and very friendly. I hope he doesn't go near humans or worse jump on them.

How long do you think this wilding up process for him should be? How do I know he is ready for outside? Any thoughts/tips?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast