Thread: Pneumonia??

Default Pneumonia??

Hi all,
    I've got two little 5-week-old greys. They're my first attempt at rescue and release so I'm not overly familiar with what noises are and aren't normal.
    There have been clicking noises going on for quite a few days, but not consistently, which is why I wasn't sure whether I needed to worry. Around feedings it's especially prominent, but it tends to lessen when they're asleep.
    They've been fed on puppy formula using a syringe and nipple. Both came to me dehydrated but are hydrated now. They both seem completely fine in themselves, playing, exploring, eating like anything. I don't want to upset their gut flora by giving them antibiotics if they're both fine.
    Here's a video of little Ash making the noises. The quality isn't the best sorry but hopefully you can make out the sounds: https://youtu.be/xJHHizMBhdk
    Thank in advance for any advice!!

2. Serious fuzzy thank you's to BushyTail from:

Rock Monkey (04-27-2021)

Default Re: Pneumonia??

Quote Originally Posted by BushyTail View Post
    Hi all,
    I've got two little 5-week-old greys. They're my first attempt at rescue and release so I'm not overly familiar with what noises are and aren't normal.
    There have been clicking noises going on for quite a few days, but not consistently, which is why I wasn't sure whether I needed to worry. Around feedings it's especially prominent, but it tends to lessen when they're asleep.
    They've been fed on puppy formula using a syringe and nipple. Both came to me dehydrated but are hydrated now. They both seem completely fine in themselves, playing, exploring, eating like anything. I don't want to upset their gut flora by giving them antibiotics if they're both fine.
    Here's a video of little Ash making the noises. The quality isn't the best sorry but hopefully you can make out the sounds: https://youtu.be/xJHHizMBhdk
    Thank in advance for any advice!!
    Not normal! You need to get him on an antibiotic asap.
    Baytril, Cipro (ciprofloxacin), Bactrim ,Clavamox, Augmentin are preffered but
    some others may still be used. Let us know what you can find, we can tell you
    if it can be used and how to dose. You will need a 1cc syringe, we will need a
    weight on squirrel to dose.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

BushyTail (04-26-2021), Rock Monkey (04-27-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Not normal! You need to get him on an antibiotic asap.
    Baytril, Cipro (ciprofloxacin), Bactrim ,Clavamox, Augmentin are preffered but
    some others may still be used. Let us know what you can find, we can tell you
    if it can be used and how to dose. You will need a 1cc syringe, we will need a
    weight on squirrel to dose.
    I was really hoping it wasn't so but thank you so much for your reply. I've just ordered 6 × Ciprofloxacin 500mg with next day delivery.
    Just before a feeding today Hazel weighed 137g and Ash weighed 132g.
    Could you also tell me how I administer the antibiotics? Do I powder the dose and add it to their feed? How many doses are required/how frequently?
    Thanks a million!!

I was really hoping it wasn't so but thank you so much for your reply. I've just ordered 6 × Ciprofloxacin 500mg with next day delivery.
    Could you also tell me how I administer the antibiotics? Do I powder the dose and add it to their feed? How many doses are required/how frequently?
    Thanks a million!!
    No, the powder has to be diluted (liquid) to adjust the milligrams for a squirrel's use, then it has to be dosed by body weight.
    You will need a 1cc to dose the med. When you receive the Cipro get a current weight on your girl, post it and I or another
    will send breakdown/ dosing amount (in a private message) and walk you through it
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

7. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (04-27-2021), Nancy in New York (04-27-2021), Rock Monkey (04-27-2021)

With respiratory infections the sooner it is treated, the greater the probability of recovery. Sooner is measured in hours, not days, in the case of young squirrels. It can progress brutally quickly. This is truly a matter of life or death. If need be to hasten the process, ask friends or family if they have a one or two pills.

Be sure to keep them warm and hydrated. You can snuggle with them. Feed them carefully if they will eat.

Also, when you get a chance watch this brief video. It has many tips on how to prevent aspiration when feeding young squirrels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLjR...relsandmorellc

9. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Buddy (04-27-2021), BushyTail (05-03-2021)

Thanks a million!!
    How did you order the antibiotic? I've tried several different ways and find I need a prescription everytime! Could you give me some advice?

You can order Baytril from this site:
    https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

BUT if you baby has Aspiration Pneumonia (AP) time is of the essence since AP is deadly. You cannot wait days for it to arrive to start treatment.

If you are ordering it to have on hand if needed, great!

If you believe your squirrel has AP, check the cabinets, ask family, friends and neighbors for antibiotics. A single pill is usually all that is needed. If you find anything come back and post the name of the drug, the strength and the weight of your squirrel and someone will advise if the antibiotic will be effective.

12. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Spanky:

Grinderhead (11-28-2021), Mel1959 (11-28-2021), stepnstone (11-28-2021)