Thread: Bloated belly?

Default Bloated belly?

I have rescued 3 abandoned 3 stripe Indian Palm Squirrel after their mother left and didn't return for 3 days. They are 4-6weeks old. Now after 1 week , it looks like they have a bloated belly and are having diarrhea. What should I do? Is there any homemade rehydration formula? Actually here in India the covid situation is really bad, still if there isn't any homemade formula then I will go to the stores. Anyway that's all. Please help.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Bloated belly?

This is how their stool is right now. It was solid till this morning, but suddenly it changed to this . But the little guys are quite a handful and are running around in their box. I don't know what to do. Please help

I’m not sure what you’re feeding but here’s the homemade goats milk formula recipe and a baby squirrel care guide. https://www.henryspets.com/1-baby-squirrel-care-guide/

The rehydration formula is 1 cup warm water, 3/4 Tablespoon sugar and 1/4 teaspoon salt.

For bloat you can use a liquid product called simethicone. In the US we have an infant version. The strength is 20mg. It would be one to two small drop for ones this tiny.

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Arjun Karfa (04-24-2021), Buddy (04-24-2021)

I wanted to feed them Esbilac powder formula but it is not available here...and I saw that fat content if goat milk is quite high so I was feeding them undiluted cow milk formula as suggested in https://adumbrativerhetoric.blogspot...abies.html?m=1
    and a few other YouTube channels.. Then after 6 days (i.e. today) they suddenly have bloated belly and are having diarrhea. Till yesterday day they were having hard stool. I read that bloating and diarrhea are bad for these little ones. I don't understand where I went wrong . please help.

Right now I was feeding them and they are all running around. I can't control them. They are all over the place. Licking me and themselves. But then again I saw they had runny stool.

Also one of my friends was questioned me if the squirrel is really bloated? Can anyone tell. The picture is right above this reply

6. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Arjun Karfa from:

Buddy (04-24-2021)

I can’t tell if it’s really bloated, but the cows milk is a no-no. I gave you the goats milk recipe you should switch them to it. You should also offer water with a little sugar in it or the rehydration solution in between feedings because the watery diarrhea will dehydrate them.

Also, don't give them any baby food products which contain wheat. Always be sure to read the ingredients before buying. The wheat can cause serious constipation. Grains in general can cause problems for them and so should be avoided.

You might also try some plain (no added sugars), whole milk Greek yogurt, warmed to body temperature, of course. You can put a few little drops on a plate, make sure they don't eat too fast, so limit the number of drops on the plate at any given time.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (04-24-2021)

stoolproblemssquirrels.pdf

If you don't mind doing a little reading, you may find this document about squirrels with irregular poop useful.

11. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (04-24-2021)

Thanks for all you guys replies. Today they are doing good potty and are deflated a little. But now they are eating less (one is eating 4cc and other two like 2cc) and are a little lethargic. What can be the matter?

Did they ever aspirate the formula where it came out their nose and they gasped for breath or snorted?

14. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Arjun Karfa (04-25-2021), Rock Monkey (04-25-2021), stepnstone (04-25-2021)

No they haven't snorted any of the formula out.
    Right now they are running around and playing all around the room and eating and pooping and peeing all the time. But they still have a little bloated belly. It is only a little hard. In the afternoon I gave them papaya juice and now in the evening I am going to give them the hydration formula.
    The problem is I don't know if I should give them water or not. I read in a few sites that I shouldn't give them any water. And some sites said that I should not give them any solid food.

So what should I give them. Also is their any home remedy other than massage that can be done for bloating? Like some fruit or something natural.. Just asking. Thanks for all the help guys and gals.