Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suspected pneumonia needed help!!

Default Suspected pneumonia needed help!!

Hi I have a 4 week old squirrel who I suspect has pneumonia. But due to covid restrictions in my area I have no open vets to take him to. Is there any over the counter medicine I can get him? I really don't want him to die please anything would help!

Default Re: Suspected pneumonia needed help!!

Did he aspirate while being fed formula or eating or drinking water from a dish?

Is the heart rate elevated? Can you hear him breathing? (For a healthy squirrel breathing is a quiet unremarkable affair.) When they get pneumonia they start struggling to get enough oxygen.

You should look around the house for some antibiotics. Call friends and family. Leftover human antibiotics can be used, sometimes even expired ones.

Here is a list of some antibiotics that are preferred for squirrels with respiratory infections:

Baytril (animal)/Cipro (human), Clavamox (animal)/augmentin (human) are drugs that are used frequently for upper respiratory infections.

Baytril: Enrofloxacin, A member of the fluoroquinolone class. Made by Bayer.
    Cipro (Ciloxan, Neofloxin) Ciprofloxacin, a broad-spectrum antibiotic of the fluoroquinolone class. Available as a generic.
    Clavamox: amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium
    Augmentin: AMOXICILLIN/CLAVULANIC ACID

You will also need your squirrel's current weight for proper dosing instructions which if approved with come from one of the site's administrators.

Keep the animal warm, they may go through fever and chills. Tucking him under layers of your clothing will do this and be reassuring and allow you to monitor his condition at all times.

If this is aspiration pneumonia it needs to be treated as promptly as possible as it can cause very quick decline in young squirrels.

3. 3 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Baileeboss_101 (04-22-2021), Buddy (04-23-2021), Chirps (04-22-2021)

Also, don't forget to hit "refresh" on your web browser to see any new posts.

Posting a picture would also help with condition assessment.

5. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Buddy (04-23-2021), Chirps (04-22-2021)

What symptoms is he exhibiting?

Quote Originally Posted by Rock Monkey View Post
    Did he aspirate while being fed formula or eating or drinking water from a dish?

Is the heart rate elevated? Can you hear him breathing? (For a healthy squirrel breathing is a quiet unremarkable affair.) When they get pneumonia they start struggling to get enough oxygen.

You should look around the house for some antibiotics. Call friends and family. Leftover human antibiotics can be used, sometimes even expired ones.

Here is a list of some antibiotics that are preferred for squirrels with respiratory infections:

Baytril (animal)/Cipro (human), Clavamox (animal)/augmentin (human) are drugs that are used frequently for upper respiratory infections.

Baytril: Enrofloxacin, A member of the fluoroquinolone class. Made by Bayer.
    Cipro (Ciloxan, Neofloxin) Ciprofloxacin, a broad-spectrum antibiotic of the fluoroquinolone class. Available as a generic.
    Clavamox: amoxicillin and clavulanate potassium
    Augmentin: AMOXICILLIN/CLAVULANIC ACID

You will also need your squirrel's current weight for proper dosing instructions which if approved with come from one of the site's administrators.

Keep the animal warm, they may go through fever and chills. Tucking him under layers of your clothing will do this and be reassuring and allow you to monitor his condition at all times.

If this is aspiration pneumonia it needs to be treated as promptly as possible as it can cause very quick decline in young squirrels.
    Thank you! Okay so he keeps making light sneezing like he's clearing his nose, you can hear very light popping noise but you have to really listen for it. He inhales and his body and limbs shake a little. Like a spasm. My biggest concern is a snorting sound, he makes it quite often.

8. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Baileeboss_101 from:

Rock Monkey (04-22-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Baileeboss_101 View Post
    Thank you! Okay so he keeps making light sneezing like he's clearing his nose, you can hear very light popping noise but you have to really listen for it. He inhales and his body and limbs shake a little. Like a spasm. My biggest concern is a snorting sound, he makes it quite often.
    I forgot he's making a chirping sound it sounds like a bird it's on and off its worrying

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Baileeboss_101 from:

Rock Monkey (04-22-2021)

I forgot he's making a chirping sound it sounds like a bird it's on and off its worrying
    Given the potential deadly nature of AP, in my personal opinion, it sounds like it should be treated, especially since little ones are more vulnerable.

Any luck finding any of the listed antibiotics?

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Baileeboss_101 (04-22-2021)

Okay sorry I'm new to this forum thing okay

He aspirated while drinking from a syringe.
    He still is moving and screaming and sleeping normally.
    But he is sneezing and you can hear popping noises? If that makes sense when you listen closely. He is having spasms when like it's an aggressive sneeze.
    After he eats is when he makes snorts and grunting sounds which is worrying. Sorry for all the spam posts. I'm not sure how to upload a video or picture but I'll try
    Q

14. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Baileeboss_101 from:

Rock Monkey (04-22-2021)

Also, in addition to keeping him warm, keep him relatively upright, keeping his head above his chest. This way if there is any fluid in his lungs he will still be able to exchange oxygen out of the top of his lungs with the fluid in the bottom of the lungs.

16. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Rock Monkey:

Baileeboss_101 (04-22-2021), Buddy (04-23-2021)

Okay sorry I'm new to this forum thing okay

Sorry for all the spam posts. I'm not sure how to upload a video or picture but I'll try
    Q
    You're doing fine. Thanks for helping this squirrel.

When trying to upload a picture to the site you will need to click on the 'paper clip' however as a new member I am not sure you will be able to do so. An administrator might have to change a setting.

This thread will walk you through the steps.

https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...e-upgraded-TSB

He aspirated while drinking from a syringe.
    He still is moving and screaming and sleeping normally.
    But he is sneezing and you can hear popping noises? If that makes sense when you listen closely. He is having spasms when like it's an aggressive sneeze.
    Ap is fluid in the lungs, it will take him down and out without an ab!

You need to come up with an antibiotic, there is nothing else that will stop the progression without treating with an ab. Call around to family friends to see what kind of antibiotic you can come up with, You would only need a pill or two. I can tell you if it can be used, how to dilute and dose with the milligrams of the ab and baby's weight.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

19. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Baileeboss_101 (04-22-2021), Buddy (04-23-2021), Mel1959 (04-23-2021), Rock Monkey (04-22-2021)

If at all possible, I would suggest treating him with antibiotics tonight. Aspiration Pneumonia can progress brutally fast.

Stepnstone is usually on the site during the late evening. Reply with a quote to his post and/or PM him if you find some antibiotics.

How long has you squirrel been exhibiting these breathing symptoms?

21. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Baileeboss_101 (04-23-2021)

Hi sorry it took so long to update I've been trying to reach out to family and friends to see if they had any of the antibiotics listed. My dear mum had amox-clav I was wondering if that was okay to use? My boy has been barely eating and he is super weak today so I'm keeping him warm and hydrated.
    Where can I contact administrators for dosing? (if this medication is correct)
    My wildlife vets opens in two weeks time but I know that he doesn't have enough time.
    If this medication isn't correct is there any over the counter meds I can give him today? I'm scared he won't make it to tonight. Thank you guys so much

He's super weak and I don't know what to do. He can't even stay on his back he's rolling over with his arms in the air. He's breathing is shallow and no vets or wildlife or open are near. Please I'm begging any help I need. He's not eating

He's really bad please any help I'm scared

Quote Originally Posted by stepnstone View Post
    Ap is fluid in the lungs, it will take him down and out without an ab!

You need to come up with an antibiotic, there is nothing else that will stop the progression without treating with an ab. Call around to family friends to see what kind of antibiotic you can come up with, You would only need a pill or two. I can tell you if it can be used, how to dilute and dose with the milligrams of the ab and baby's weight.
    Is there anything I can do he's barely breathing I'm reaching out to my vets and rehabilitation center but they are both closed due to covid I need any help

Please he's dying he keeps arching his backing and putting his paws up in the air. I need help no vets are taking him. What can I do for him at least to make his final minutes good..?

Default MY BABY SQUIRREL IS DYINg

I need dosing for amoxicillin now please he's 4 weeks old no vets are open please I'm begging any administrators please

I FOUND AMOXICILLIN BUT I DONT HIS WEIGHT WHAT DO I DO HE NEEDS IT NOW BUT I DONT WANT TO GIVE TO MUXH

We need to know what size pill of amox you have? Can you post a photo of him so we can estimate weight?

I FOUND AMOXICILLIN BUT I DONT HIS WEIGHT WHAT DO I DO HE NEEDS IT NOW BUT I DONT WANT TO GIVE TO MUXH
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

30. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

Nancy in New York (04-23-2021)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast