Thread: Alan

Default Alan

Hello I have raised a cat squirrel from a baby, she is 8 years old now, my wife named her Elvis before we new the sex. My question is what can I use to worm her with,thanks

Default Re: Alan

What specifically are you worming her for? Is she showing symptoms? There are lots of wormers but they don't all kill the same parasites.

Yes sometimes they are visible

Quote Originally Posted by CritterMom View Post
    What specifically are you worming her for? Is she showing symptoms? There are lots of wormers but they don't all kill the same parasites.
    Yes they will show them selves occasionally

Are they large or small? Do they look like a grain of rice or a small white worm, or something larger?

When u say cat squirrel, do you mean Fox squirrel? The ones that are Orange or tan bellied and brown?

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    Are they large or small? Do they look like a grain of rice or a small white worm, or something larger?

When u say cat squirrel, do you mean Fox squirrel? The ones that are Orange or tan bellied and brown?
    Grey squirrel, they are round yellowish and white a couple inches long

After doing some research, and not knowing exactly what type of worms your squirrel may have, it appears the safest medication to use is Fenbendazole (Panacur and safeguard are the trademarked names). Safeguard for goats can be purchased at Tractor Supply stores or other livestock feed stores. Fenbendazole treats roundworm, hookworm, whip worm, thread worm and tapeworm.

It is dosed by weight so you must get a weight on your squirrel. You will NOT dose according to the directions for treating goats. Wildlife requires a stronger dose. I am attaching a chart that shows the dosage per animal weight in grams. The treatment is once a day for 3-5 days then repeated in 2-3 weeks to kill any eggs that may hatch.

I’m also attaching a picture of the bottle for reference.

I don’t think this medicine tastes very good...so be prepared.

If you don’t understand the correct dosage amount please post again and we can help with syringe pictures with the proper dose labeled.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

8. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (04-20-2021), Nancy in New York (04-20-2021), Rock Monkey (04-22-2021), stepnstone (04-20-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    After doing some research, and not knowing exactly what type of worms your squirrel may have, it appears the safest medication to use is Fenbendazole (Panacur and safeguard are the trademarked names). Safeguard for goats can be purchased at Tractor Supply stores or other livestock feed stores. Fenbendazole treats roundworm, hookworm, whip worm, thread worm and tapeworm.

It is dosed by weight so you must get a weight on your squirrel. You will NOT dose according to the directions for treating goats. Wildlife requires a stronger dose. I am attaching a chart that shows the dosage per animal weight in grams. The treatment is once a day for 3-5 days then repeated in 2-3 weeks to kill any eggs that may hatch.

I’m also attaching a picture of the bottle for reference.

I don’t think this medicine tastes very good...so be prepared.

If you don’t understand the correct dosage amount please post again and we can help with syringe pictures with the proper dose labeled.
    Ok thank you

10. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Alan from:

Mel1959 (04-20-2021)