Thread: Noooo, have 2 more baby squirrels

Default Noooo, have 2 more baby squirrels

Well I have 2 more baby California ground squirrels as of 4 days ago. When I got them, one had just hatched fly larvae in its eyes. Got those out and have been feeding them to build up their weight as they were very cold and thin when I got them. They weigh 2 oz and 1.8 oz and are now eating their bottles well.

I have 1 ground squirrel male Pipi, who I have had for a couple years now. All my neighbors shoot, poison and kill squirrels in whatever way they can. So I did not release Pipi. I have a bit to figure it out, but what should I do with the 2 new ones? Rehab places typically euthanize them or use them as food for other animals, so that's not an option. Will they get along ok with Pipi? I don't think so, since Pipi has always been a single squirrel. Would they possibly be able to be together if I build them a large outdoor home (like zoo enclosure)? I'm a bit stuck on what to do with them once they grow. Here is a picture of the little cuties.

Name:  IMG_6753.jpg
Views: 90
Size:  98.3 KB

2. 4 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to fwill:

Buddy (04-21-2021), Chirps (04-19-2021), Diggie's Friend (04-21-2021), Rock Monkey (04-22-2021)

Default Re: Noooo, have 2 more baby squirrels

I’m sorry, but I know nothing about ground squirrels. I hope others will chime in that do know more.

Maybe a google search would help you understand the social interactions of ground squirrels so you will know what to do.

Have you tried seeing how Pipi reacts to them? (Without putting them in harm's way of course).

They are sooooo cute. This is my little Icarus when I found her. I know ground squirrels have colonies and interact just enough to warn each other of danger, but that seems to be extent of their friendly interaction besides mating. Odd to me though, considering how happy my Icky is to see me and how much she loves to play. We may or may not have different rules with captive ground squirrels.
    Attached Images Attached Images