Thread: Flyer wound on back

Exclamation Flyer wound on back

When my 5 year old flyer came out tonight, I noticed that he looked like he was missing some fur on his back. Upon closer inspection, I saw that he actually had a fair sized wound there. I have no idea how he could have injured himself. Nothing in his cage or diet has changed. I did notice about a month ago that he had a bit of hair loss on his chest, but I thought he was just over grooming. I got him some freeze dried chicken at that time so I could up his protein just in case and he has loved that and gets some every night. I find it hard to believe that he would cause this injury to himself, but I honestly can’t come up with any other scenario. Has anyone had anything like this occur? I immediately put some silver sulfadiazine cream on it which he left alone for a while. Then I saw recommended on here to do the betadine solution so I just put that on it after he had groomed the cream off. He is acting normal other than wanting to groom that area a lot. I’ll attach a picture of the wound (this was after he groomed the cream off so his fur looks greasy) Is there anything else I can do for him? I’m so worried, and nothing like this has ever happened to him.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Flyer wound on back

Hello! I happened to come across this thread that may help you.https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ighlight=Flyer

Hope this helps!

The Betadyne is a good choice, its pretty mild. They are more likely to leave it alone which helps the wound heal.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjel View Post
    Hello! I happened to come across this thread that may help you.https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...ighlight=Flyer

Hope this helps!
    Thanks! He does get Henry’s blocks every night and always eats them first. I just added extra protein in addition to his regular meal worms because I saw that also in another fur loss thread on here. He also gets yogurt, fresh fruit/veggies and either pecan/walnut/almond or hazelnut as his treat every night.

Exclamation Re: Flyer wound on back

I have been continuing the betadine 3 times a day and also started giving him metacam every 12 hours. The wound got bigger the second day and has remained mostly unchanged since then. I am a little worried that it’s not looking better (though I realize it hasn’t been too long since it happened). BUT tonight I noticed that he has a small spot in the same place on the opposite shoulder! Obviously now I am even more concerned and concerned that he is doing this to himself somehow. I don’t see him messing with it too much except to clean off the betadine so he must be doing it overnight. He’s not scratching so could he be over-grooming to the point of wounding himself? Nothing has changed in his routine. We did move back in November, but he kept his same enclosure. Please does anyone have any advice? I am freaking out at this point...

There is nothing he could be repeatedly rubbing against in his enclosure? That’s a strange place for him to be inflicting his own wound unless he can reach around with his mouth or do it with a rear paw.

Any new laundry detergents? Any animals that could be stressing him? Any outside branches that were brought in that could have mites on them?

I’d continue the betadine and rub a little silvadene on it after the betadine dries. Watch the metacam usage.

If he’s not in pain I don’t think I’d use it, it is hard on their kidneys. Definitely don’t use it for longer than 3 days. I hope you have proper dosage for it as it would be a very, very small amount for a little flyer.

Do you have a vet?

7. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

Buddy (04-23-2021), Rock Monkey (04-23-2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    There is nothing he could be repeatedly rubbing against in his enclosure? That’s a strange place for him to be inflicting his own wound unless he can reach around with his mouth or do it with a rear paw.

Any new laundry detergents? Any animals that could be stressing him? Any outside branches that were brought in that could have mites on them?

I’d continue the betadine and rub a little silvadene on it after the betadine dries. Watch the metacam usage.

If he’s not in pain I don’t think I’d use it, it is hard on their kidneys. Definitely don’t use it for longer than 3 days. I hope you have proper dosage for it as it would be a very, very small amount for a little flyer.

Do you have a vet?
    No I dont believe there is anywhere he could be rubbing and I haven’t put anything new in his cage from outside. No other pets or new stresses that I can think of. I thought it was really strange that there would be a small spot in almost the same place on his other shoulder. He can reach around to groom it, but it definitely takes effort. I worried that it got worse on the second day because I put the silvadene on it and he worked extra hard to groom it off but I didn’t actually see him do that. I can try it again though.

It’s only been a couple days of the metacam but I can end that today. It just seems sore (just to the touch. He still moves fine and it doesn’t seem to bother him when he’s playing) and I was hoping it would help stop him messing with it if that’s what is happening. I did get the correct dosage and it’s basically just a drop from the 1mL syringe. I’m going to attach a picture from this morning after I cleaned it. It just seems like it’s not scabbing at all, but also not getting infected or anything.

No unfortunately I can’t take him to a vet here but I’ll definitely go out of state if I have too. I do have a lot of different meds on hand as well.
    I also did start giving him extra calcium last night just in case it could be anything related to MBD since that seems like the culprit behind so many things. He loves his HHB but he does tend to shred them up and leave pieces behind. He is still eating/drinking and playing pretty normally except that he tries to avoid me looking at it so he will run back into his bed to hide from me which breaks my heart.

It doesn’t look infected so I wouldn’t start antibiotics. Can you get the silvadene directly on the sore and not on his fur with a Qtip? Maybe he’d be more likely to leave it alone if it’s not in his fur.

Where do you live? I can look to see if there are any safe squirrel vets near you.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    It doesn’t look infected so I wouldn’t start antibiotics. Can you get the silvadene directly on the sore and not on his fur with a Qtip? Maybe he’d be more likely to leave it alone if it’s not in his fur.

Where do you live? I can look to see if there are any safe squirrel vets near you.
    Ok I will try that! I’ll PM you, thanks!

Things are not looking any better and tonight I think it looks worse. There is now a white spot in the middle of the wound and and I am not sure what it is. I am in complete panic mode. I got CBD Oil for him tonight hoping to make him stop messing with it because at this point I’m sure that’s what is happening. I also have some of the derma gel arriving tomorrow. I think I have to get a cone or an ejacket on him but I am seriously concerned he will hurt himself wearing it, and I’m honestly not sure how I’ll be able to get either one on him. I saw on other posts about a vet in Raleigh, NC that is great with squirrels, does anyone know if he will see an unlicensed owner and not take my baby away from me? I’m so desperate now. I’ll attach a picture of the wound from tonight after I put betadyne on it. Also as far as antibiotics I have on hand, I do have clavamox tablets and baytril but have no idea on dosing.

I was able to make an appointment for this afternoon at Avian and Exotic Animal care in Raleigh, but Dr. Johnson was not available to see him until May 10, so it’s with another vet at his practice. Has anyone seen anyone other than him there? I am terrified to take him but I feel like I don’t have any other options and he can’t wait until May 10. The receptionist assured me that this vet trained with the same doctor and is just as capable as Dr. Johnson. But is there a chance they would they try to take him away from me??

Call and ask them point blank. We have had a number of folks here use him and never had any issues but if I were you I would just ask them.

That looks to me like an abscess - having it drained will make everyone happier...