Thread: Pin Oak branch buds poisons?

Default Pin Oak branch buds poisons?

I gave our squirrel a Pin Oak branch with a few buds on it to chew on and she ate the buds. There were wild squirrels eating the buds so I assumed they were safe for her. I just read that they can be poisonous. Is there anything I need to do for her or should I be worried about this? Thanks

Default Re: Pin Oak branch buds poisons?

Quote Originally Posted by MapleRidgesquirrel View Post
    I gave our squirrel a Pin Oak branch with a few buds on it to chew on and she ate the buds. There were wild squirrels eating the buds so I assumed they were safe for her. I just read that they can be poisonous. Is there anything I need to do for her or should I be worried about this? Thanks
    It has been recorded to state: The leaves, buds, twigs, and acorns of many oak species are toxic,
    and all of them produce similar clinical signs and lesions when consumed in large quantities.
    This is mainly due to Tannins which are potent, precipitators (astringents) of cellular protein.
    Oaks at any stage of growth are poisonous, but are particularly toxic when the leaf and flower buds
    are just opening in the spring.

Obviously squirrels didn't get that memo...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

island rehabber (04-15-2021), Rock Monkey (04-15-2021)

She is acting her normal self so far. Is there anything I should do to help her? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MapleRidgesquirrel View Post
    She is acting her normal self so far. Is there anything I should do to help her? Thanks
    I really don't think you have anything to be concerned about, if she were going to be affected
    you would have known before now. Squirrel's chew on oak trees and acorns all the time, there
    is more concern about the mold that can grow inside acorns then the Tannins that oak contains
    and that is said it would take large quantities.
    Generally a squirrel will regurgitate after eating something bad and the best one can do is to
    hydrate to flush the system and /or with suspected toxins give liquid charcoal that can bind the
    toxins so they can pass it through their bowels.
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

island rehabber (04-15-2021), MapleRidgesquirrel (04-15-2021)

Well this sucks. One of the few trees I have great access to in my yard is a pin oak. I've given Georgie branches from the tree and haven't seen any ill effects but I will stop giving them to him.