Thread: adult squirrel lethargic/ throwing up

rochellenicole Guest

Default adult squirrel lethargic/ throwing up

Yesterday my 7 yr old squirrel started throwing up a good bit out of the blue. He was perfectly fine and active the day before and then suddenly throwing up and lethargic the next. He's never had any health issues before this. I'd say he threw up on and off for half the day. We kept an eye on him and he drank a LOT of water on his own at least. But other than that he wouldn't eat or move around much. He also slept out in the open on the floor of his cage which he never does, he always sleeps in his nest box.

We didn't change anything, and we weren't even able to get him out of his cage to play the day before this all, so it's not like he got into something. We don't ever feed acorns, but the day before throwing up he did have an almond and hazelnut so not sure if those could be a problem somehow? We give fresh veggies every morning and clean out the old veggies.

This morning he went into his nest box and won't come out but I haven't seen him throw up today at least. He's still lethargic but he can climb up and down his cage some. Since he still isn't himself I'm worried something is seriously wrong and I'm afraid of him just going downhill, but I don't know how worried to be or what I can do besides make sure he drinks water! He won't even come to us for attention which he always does, it makes me sad that we can't even comfort him.

I'm not in a state that allows squirrels and I've heard horror stories of vets euthanizing or taking pet squirrels away (I even heard our rabbit vet tell someone else they just kill squirrels brought in) so I would prefer to help him at home if possible. Please give options I can drive to get from a store right away if possible!

Default Re: adult squirrel lethargic/ throwing up

Have you seen signs that he is pooping since he began the vomiting?

And yes on the water. If you have some pedialyte try that; if not, add a bit of sugar or syrup or honey to some of the water feedings - his blood sugar will be low and that will help.

3. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Buddy (04-14-2021)

rochellenicole Guest

I don't have pedialyte but I'm willing to get it if needed, do you think the sugar water is sufficient or best to just get pedialyte? If so what is the serving size for squirrels on that?

I can't tell if he's pooped but I'm in the process of deep cleaning his cage so I can keep better track. Also going to try getting him to sleep somewhere I can better keep an eye on him as he's hiding hardcore from us.
    I did just get him to eat a little pumpkin off my finger so I'm assuming that's a good sign?

Hopefully, he just got something that had gone bad - they do a really good job of hiding their stashes. Not feeling great the day after being sick to your stomach isn't that uncommon.

You can even offer him some honey on your finger. My concern is that he threw up everything in his system, and hasn't really eaten to replenish it, and that mini starvation can cause their blood sugar to get low which makes them feel worse and not want to eat which makes the whole thing worse. Sometimes just getting something sweet into them will help stop and reverse that.

6. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to CritterMom:

Buddy (04-14-2021), Chirps (04-15-2021)

rochellenicole Guest

I hope that's it! I was afraid of poisoning or the mold death I've read some squirrels get. I'm giving him the honey water now. Do you think I need to toss all our nuts or is it most likely a food stashed somewhere that we didn't see?

You mention what you feed him nuts/vegetables, no mention of a rodent block.
    Is he not getting some type rodent block included in his diet?
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

Buddy (04-14-2021)

rochellenicole Guest

We got him when he was 4 and since he'd never had any blocks by that age, he absolutely refuses to eat the blocks. Even with sweet stuff such as honey on top, he's very stubborn. They just mold in his cage which seems more dangerous to me. I know it's the judge-all belief of most squirrel owners, but he's 7 and never had any issues with health (before the other day when he must of got a hold of something that had gone bad). We try giving him ingredients that are in the blocks anyways, just separately (which shouldn't make a difference). And he gets a very varied diet and sun time.

We give him the best care we can and came on here to get help for this pressing issue, not judgement on what he is eating as we do the best research we can. However, if you have suggestions of things we can add into his diet such as a powder or something that we can sneak into his meals easier, then I'm all ears.

Quote Originally Posted by rochellenicole View Post
    We give him the best care we can and came on here to get help for this pressing issue, not judgement on what he is eating as we do the best research we can. However, if you have suggestions of things we can add into his diet such as a powder or something that we can sneak into his meals easier, then I'm all ears.
    A calcium deficiency could be part of your "pressing issue" and yes, it's been seen in squirrels older then yours.
    I simply asked a question wasn't passing any judgement, but since you chose to perceive it as such I won't waste
    my time on attitude. I volunteer my education and experience as a master rehabilatator to try and help those who
    chose to listen to reason. You have yourself a good day...
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

12. Serious fuzzy thank you's to stepnstone from:

CritterMom (04-14-2021)

rochellenicole Guest

Well then I'm sorry if you weren't passing judgement, I've gotten quite a lot of it from other people so it's hard to not just assume. I don't think it's a calcium issue as this issue came on super suddenly and the MBD usually causes paralysis and slow decline (he's slowly perking up). I'm assuming it's a toxin/mold issue. So I just automatically assumed your comment was to come in and judge after the fact. I also didn't know your profession. I don't expect your help anymore but I'm glad you volunteer all your time to everyone that's very nice of you. Have a good day.

If your guy won’t eat any rodent block I suggest you give powdered calcium carbonate mixed into or sprinkled on his food. No vitamin D in it. Health food stores carry a brand called NOW which is pure calcium carbonate.

Have you tried grinding Harlan Teklad rodent block into a powder and mixing it with some ground nuts, baby food veggie/fruit combos and coconut or avocado oil to hold it together? They’re called boo balls and there’s lots of different recipes and adaptations in the Squirrel Nutrition section. I have been able to get my wild squirrels to eat them so they must not taste too terrible.

Here’s the link to a chart of calcium sources. https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...um-Supplements

You could also reach out to Leigh, the owner of Henrys Pets. You could ask her about the necessary amount of calcium your squirrel would need to take in daily to stay healthy. I assume you’ve tried her Picky blocks? I’ve found them to be the best liked.

15. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Mel1959 from:

The throwing up sounds like an acute reaction to something he ate, I would keep him well hydrated and hope to flush whatever he ate out as quickly as possible. Clean out his cage, find hidden food caches and remove them. Double check that something was not left out where he could get to it.

What StepnStone mentioned is completely valid. A NR squirrel that does not get quality blocks (teklad, Henrys etc) will almost certainly get MBD at some point. Sometimes it pops up pretty quickly but for some unknown reason, in some cases it takes many years before it starts. About the single best thing you can do to keep your squirrel healthy is get them on a regular diet of blocks with veggies while keeping treating fruits and nuts as treats. Tough love will get your squirrel on blocks.
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

17. Serious fuzzy thank you's to TubeDriver from:

rochellenicole Guest

I will definitely test out those tips if he makes it through this phase, thanks so much! I never thought of reaching out to Henry's pets owner so I'll do that too!

Everything in the cage has been emptied and cleaned! I didn't find anything but I guess it could be because he ate it already.

And I didn't mean to get defensive, I know how serious MBD is and do my best to avoid it, but I really don't think that was the issue this time. But I also don't understand why giving him the ingredients that are in these blocks separately doesn't do the same thing as buying these blocks? Am I missing something? Is the view that blocks are necessary because most owners don't feed their squirrels correctly? I haven't found anything in my research but of course I'm open to hearing a new angle.

I think the issue is not knowing the correct amounts of the necessary nutrients in order to adequately provide it on a daily basis. This is where Leigh might be able to help. Henrys blocks are supplemental blocks...you only feed 2-3 a day ALONG WITH veggies and limited fruits and treats. Leigh has taken all the guess work out of it by providing the necessary nutrients inn2-3 blocks per day.

Harlan Teklad block is a 100% nutritionally complete block. Squirrels could eat only it without any additional veggies or fruits and do fine....I think they’d be bored with it, but....

20. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to Mel1959:

island rehabber (04-15-2021)

I would NEVER advise just giving Teklads alone in a diet. While that should work because that is how they were designed, I would supplement Teklads daily with various veggies and of course still give some treats like nuts/fruits (weekly, not daily). This is required with Henrys blocks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1959 View Post
    I think the issue is not knowing the correct amounts of the necessary nutrients in order to adequately provide it on a daily basis. This is where Leigh might be able to help. Henrys blocks are supplemental blocks...you only feed 2-3 a day ALONG WITH veggies and limited fruits and treats. Leigh has taken all the guess work out of it by providing the necessary nutrients inn2-3 blocks per day.

Harlan Teklad block is a 100% nutritionally complete block. Squirrels could eat only it without any additional veggies or fruits and do fine....I think they’d be bored with it, but....
    See my wild squirrel adventures in the thread "Squirtle's yard!":
    https://thesquirrelboard.com/forums/...quirtle-s-Yard!

Loving dad to Sir Max, 2017-2018. There is no foot so small that it cannot leave an imprint on this world.

"Once in a while you get shown the light, In the strangest of places if you look at it right."
    -Grateful Dead

Members who have read this thread: 2