Thread: Hello & help needed! (Asap Pinkie/Michigan)

Default Hello & help needed! (Asap Pinkie/Michigan)

Hello, I stumbled across this forum looking for help with a baby squirrel I found in my yard. I left him outside for 12 hours with a heating pad hoping the mom would come find him but no luck.

I’ve been reading nonstop about how to care for him. But I can’t seem to get him to eat a lot. He’s pooping & peeing when I stimulate him but I’m scared I’m not saving him. He has some cuts on him, not sure what they’re from or if there’s anything I need to do for him!
    He always twitches a lot! When I try to feed him he just wiggles and wiggles

Any help or advice is so appreciated
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Default Re: Hello & help needed!

He won’t open his mouth to eat. But is still pooping and peeing. He also is injuries and I’m not sure what I can do for him!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Default Re: Hello & help needed! (Asap Pinkie/Michigan)

Quote Originally Posted by Chelseamarie View Post
    Hello, I stumbled across this forum looking for help with a baby squirrel I found in my yard. I left him outside for 12 hours with a heating pad hoping the mom would come find him but no luck.

I’ve been reading nonstop about how to care for him. But I can’t seem to get him to eat a lot. He’s pooping & peeing when I stimulate him but I’m scared I’m not saving him. He has some cuts on him, not sure what they’re from or if there’s anything I need to do for him!
    He always twitches a lot! When I try to feed him he just wiggles and wiggles

Any help or advice is so appreciated
    Moved into Emergency life threatening - added to subject for more attention on it.

This baby needs hydrating preferably someone who can subQ at this point.
    Pinks are fed every 2 hours, take the time until he was found add the 12 hours left outside
    he has to be critically dehydrated. A dehydrated baby will not eat and their body will began
    to shut down.
    What are you feeding with? If the best you can do is drop by drop it may prolong him for
    someone who can possibly help. He is in serious condition! He will also need antibiotics if
    he can get stable enough to give them.

I'm posting two links below. The first is for the homemade hydration fluid. The other is on
    baby squirrel care.

Hydration fluid:
    1/4 teaspoon salt
    3/4 tablespoon sugar (1-1/2 teaspoons)
    8 oz water

Baby squirrel care:
    Hopefully this may help
    It's 6 pages long with the next button on the top right corner.

https://www.henryspets.com/1-basic-setup/
    Step-N-Stone
    State Licensed
    Wildlife Master Rehabilitator

4. 2 TSBers pass along the fuzzy thanks to stepnstone:

Buddy (04-14-2021), Rock Monkey (04-14-2021)

Even if you can get a few drops through her lips frequently would help. Please make sure the liquid doesn't go into her mouth.

Best of luck little one!
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

You can probably apply a little bit of coconut oil on her skin too. Also, please keep her warm.
    Animals are magical....Thank you everyone who tries to help them, save them tirelessly...

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    Even if you can get a few drops through her lips frequently would help. Please make sure the liquid doesn't go into her mouth.
    Sorry, I meant, make sure the liquid doesn't go into her NOSE.

Unless hydrated they cannot digest food, the body lacks the water needs to digest the food. They cannot digest food if they are cold. So warmth and hydration come first.

I would tuck her between layers of you clothing for warmth, put in a little pouch if needed. You will become a human heating pad. I would not put her down. She is in a critical stage. If you need to run to the store, keep her tucked in on you, nobody will know she is there. She needs the warmth, touch and heartbeat.

Every drop of fluid will help. Make sure the fluid is warmed to body temperature.

You will want to get 1 cc or 1/2 cc syringe, no need, preferably with an o-ring on the stopper and a slip tip (luer tip). Go to the pharmacy and tell them you are feeding a baby kitten.

Brush some of the homemade hydration solution on her lips with a finger tip. That should get a response.

9. Serious fuzzy thank you's to Rock Monkey from:

Buddy (04-14-2021)

When describing the syringe, I meant to say "no needle", not "no need".